What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Problems :(

Problems :(
Author: Message:
zildjian

O.P. Problems :(
Many of my friends have been having problems by accidently installing the sponsor program installed with messenger plus.

And after reading this thread http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2003/Jun/03/messenger...s_dont_bother.html

It has really put me off..
09-23-2004 08:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Problems :(
As you mentioned yourself, your friends installed the sponsor program accidentally. It happens a lot that people install it accidentally. However, that is not our fault; we cannot be responsible for you not reading ;)
Please note that it is very easy to uninstall it, if you happen to have installed it accidentally: How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor explains it all :)

quote:
Originally posted by zildjian
http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2003/Jun/03/messenger_plus_dont_bother.html
Unfortunately, that page contains errors, starting with "the latest MSN Messenger Plus! has spyware" - the sponsor is not spyware, but adware.

I've seen the page before, but I never replied, because it's over a year old, and I had hoped it would not be considered accurate anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by zildjian
It has really put me off..
Too bad; Plus! is a great program and I hope I can convince you otherwise :)

For starters, the sponsor program is a package from LOP.com - and although many people know LOP.com as an agressive 'spyware' company, the package that comes bundled with Messenger Plus! is nothing like that. Basically, the main things it does is showing some ads from time to time and adding a search bar in Internet Explorer, some favourites and desktop shortcuts. All this is mentioned in the license agreement.

The sponsor program has been added to let Patchou (the creator of the program) continue to work at Messenger Plus! daily; he has no full time job, but spends almost all his time programming Messenger Plus!. He thought this was the best way to keep the program freeware and still make a living.

Personally, I wouldn't know what is keeping you from trying it yourself. You obviously know that there is a sponsor program, so you know to read carefully during installation - although, honestly, this warning should not be needed and people should always read what they're installing :)

If you choose not to install the sponsor program, nothing else than Messenger Plus! will be installed. Try it yourself; Plus! has been installed over 6 million times, if we believe the statistics - join the club of Plus! users :)
09-23-2004 08:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: