What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggestion: log audio chats

Suggestion: log audio chats
Author: Message:
rasqual

O.P. Suggestion: log audio chats
Every day, a colleague and I spend much of the day conversing in Windows Messenger (mediated by Live Communications Server from Microsoft). I'd like to see something to log the oral conversation. We actually lose a lot when we forego the benefits of text logs by talking about the stuff instead!

Obviously a voice file can't suffice as a replacement for text. But it would be good to have some things recorded. Here's how I think it should work.

First, it would be recording all the time -- and I suppose it would have to insert that beep every now and then to let people know they're being recorded.

One of the options, though, would be more practical. It would allow for saving only portions of a conversation. Recording would be constant, but would not retain anything older than [10,30,60,120,600] seconds (selectable). When a conversation became interesting, you could click a button that would enable RETENTION of what's being recorded, until the button was toggled off again. Some protocol for naming the saved conversations would be selectable (such as the ability to name them as files, directly). Automatic encoding to mp3, or something like that,  would be cool.

That's the general idea. IMO this would be a killer feature.

This post was edited on 10-27-2004 at 07:44 PM by rasqual.
10-27-2004 07:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
RE: Suggestion: log audio chats
er, there are some problems. if you and ur colleague talk a lot, logging will take up a lot of disk space. and i understand ur idea of logging only certain parts, but retention will also take up a huge space. and one very important thing is privacy. some people might not like being recorded without being asked for their permissions. not that this idea is not good, just that it needs touching up here and there
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
10-28-2004 03:44 AM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
this is has been requested numerous times and now theres a poll about it -_- i will probobly think that this feature will be available in the near future :-D
10-30-2004 02:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
i will probobly think that this feature will be available in the near future
lol, well, think again :p. As FrozernFire said, it would take a lot of space, except if I was encoding the sound in mp3 inrealtime, which I won't do for lots of reasons (cpu time being one). I don't think many people would use that as not many people use audio chat anyway... I can only hope for you that a plugin will do it someday, meanwhile, you could jsut launch yourfavorite audio recorder program and hit "record" everytime you start an audio chat :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-31-2004 05:51 AM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
RE: RE: Suggestion: log audio chats
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
quote:
i will probobly think that this feature will be available in the near future
lol, well, think again :p. As FrozernFire said, it would take a lot of space, except if I was encoding the sound in mp3 inrealtime, which I won't do for lots of reasons (cpu time being one). I don't think many people would use that as not many people use audio chat anyway... I can only hope for you that a plugin will do it someday, meanwhile, you could jsut launch yourfavorite audio recorder program and hit "record" everytime you start an audio chat :)

Or you can also edit that program somehow or make a plugin for it so it will do it automatticly -_- I dont know anything about programming so im just guessing :-)

But Patchoa is right about one thing.. That it does take a lot of space... Ask TB
10-31-2004 06:59 AM
rasqual

O.P. RE: Suggestion: log audio chats
Since posting, I note that Trillian has implemented voice logging -- including an interesting "instant replay feature in case you missed something someone just said.

It's a bit beta-ish. In my case, I had a peculiar case of "latency drift," where the slight echo of my vocals to my interlocutor increased in delay -- indicating a delay in my reception of my interlocutor's message. I thought it was actual latency -- till I realized that the instant replay feature -- which works by letting you slide quickly several seconds into your history -- was drifting.

I find I'm not using voice record very much, even though we do voice chat all the time. The voice just isn't practical to think about searching in the future, and yet we discuss a lot that really should be down in searchable text form. So I guess we need speech recognition. But can you imagine how ludicrous is would read -- especially transcribing the tech speak of I.T. guys yammering all day? Good grief.

40 years from now this problem will be solved.   ;-)
03-15-2005 03:55 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DureX
Ask TB

TB isnt intrested in doing this either....

Its been asked in the plugin section before but so far noone has gotten up to the task

The day i learn programming i promise to make all of these plugins....:(
03-15-2005 11:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: