What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Stop Complaining: Optional(!!) Sponsor Program Complaints

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Stop Complaining: Optional(!!) Sponsor Program Complaints
Author: Message:
rocco

O.P. Dodgy  Stop Complaining: Optional(!!) Sponsor Program Complaints
I see a lot of people complaining about the optional sponsor in the Plus! installation. Some find it misleading, some are desperately thrying to remove it and are heavily complaining about the software.
Well, I really don't agree with you guys at all, although i initially installed the sponsor also (and i didn't like that).

The problem is reading! Must of the users of Plus! have proven they do not read when installing, that's the main problem of the overall cpu-problems nowadays.

There is nothing 'misleading' to it, if you read what you are installing and which options you're about to install. What i'm saying is that if you've read which option you selected, you would'nt have any problems. Be thankfull Plus! gives you still a choice to install a sponsor or not! Patchou could choose to incorporate a sponsor which installs allways (like KaZaa or something). And that Plus! is still a free download!

It is sure you guys do not know how much effort is needed to create software (and the whole support site etc) that you guys clearly like. I can imagine that the creator(s) also would like to gain some benefit of it. As "donating" has proven not to work.

What i'm saying is that you guys should be thankfull for a software package like Plus!, and should stop complaining (so much). If everyone should read what they are installing. This would overcome a lot of cpu-problems.

Thank you for your time... and putting up with my bad English... ;)

This post was edited on 09-28-2004 at 12:04 PM by rocco.
09-28-2004 11:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
RE: Optional(!!) Sponsor Complaints
This is one of the most refreshing posts I have seen recently about the sponsor. I was expecting the usual complaints, but rocco has made some great points that belie his low post count ;)

If people read the agreement, there is nothing misleading. Don't say the sponsor agreement is misleading just to hide your own laziness or your incompetence. :-/

Nice post rocco - let's hope for many more of the same :P
09-28-2004 11:42 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rocco

O.P. RE: RE: Optional(!!) Sponsor Complaints
Thanx for your comments Jeronimo ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
... If people read the agreement, there is nothing misleading. Don't say the sponsor agreement is misleading just to hide your own laziness or your incompetence. :-/ ...

My point exactly! It would really help it think ...
09-28-2004 11:51 AM
Bomber2k

RE: Stop Complaining: Optional(!!) Sponsor Program Complaints
quote:
Originally posted by rocco

There is nothing 'misleading' to it, if you read what you are installing and which options you're about to install. What i'm saying is that if you've read which option you selected, you would'nt have any problems. Be thankfull Plus! gives you still a choice to install a sponsor or not! Patchou could choose to incorporate a sponsor which installs allways (like KaZaa or something). And that Plus! is still a free download!

Sure, you could say that it is not misleading. But imagine if Microsoft put adware in their Media player, with a tick already in the box to intall it. There would be such an outcry... I can't begin to imagine what people would say about it.

It's the same with Plus! Patchyou likes comparing the Google toolbar to the adware bundled with Plus.

quote:
What i'm saying is that you guys should be thankfull for a software package like Plus!, and should stop complaining (so much). If everyone should read what they are installing. This would overcome a lot of cpu-problems.

LOL, cpu problems are not the problem!!! The problem is, is that my browser gets hijacked, i get a toolbar (this can be disabled), and a search bar that pops up every time I open my browser. Other software may use LOP adware also, so I'm not actually sure if Plus! was the culprit in my case.

What if I install LOP, and don't want it anymore. There's no way to delete it?? In my case there was no way to delete it in "Add/Remove Programs". LOP should install its own entry in the "Add/Remove Programs" list.
10-01-2004 07:15 AM
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
quote:
The problem is reading! Must of the users of Plus! have proven they do not read when installing, that's the main problem of the overall cpu-problems nowadays.

So what are y'all going to do about this known problem?  You know that the users are not reading the EULA,  probably because they TRUST Messenger Plus to do the 'right thing' (is disguising lop.com behind the innocous name of 'sponsor program' the right thing)?

Y'all know the EULA is not being read. So you have two options. Tell people what is being installed during installation, or let the problem continue.

I await developments with bated breath.
10-01-2004 01:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jmccarroll

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Bomber2k
Sure, you could say that it is not misleading. But imagine if Microsoft put adware in their Media player, with a tick already in the box to intall it. There would be such an outcry... I can't begin to imagine what people would say about it.
Well if the option was ticked by default you might have an argument here.  But it's not, both options are empty and you have to choose one.  Instead of just clicking Next and Yes all the way through, read the agreement and you'll realize how much of a fool you look like for installing something you don't want.  It is plain as day, even if you just read what is on the same line as I ACCEPT and REFUSE in the selection you'd see you arent agreeing to terms of agreement, but to install the sponsor or not
10-01-2004 03:44 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Hasn't there just been a thread just like this from Patchou, couldn't you of just taken the main points out of his thread, and placed them in herre, and made an analysis for the people who can't be bothered to decipher what his saying, or maybe even just writing brief points out of what he said, all you are doing here is pretty much replicating a thread, and putting it into your own words :-/  You're not giving Patchou any credit for the essay he wrote for people to read.

People need to start appreciating patchou for his work and his personality, its great, and all that people think he is, is a heartless programmer, he's not, he has a life ahead of him, and if people keep complaining then its really going to get to him and he'll change, and then it will be their faults, the people who don't read anything, and don't care about insulting anybody, patchou, don't listen to these people, its a pointless waste of time, do what you want, not what other people want, people think they can take over msgplus and tell patchou what to make, well they can't, but he still gets idea's that people say, and thats good, most programmers would say 'No, i want to do my ideas only, i own, you suck..' ... well along those lines anyway...

you can find patchous thread here people ;)
Personal Message
10-01-2004 03:50 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
So what are y'all going to do about this known problem?  You know that the users are not reading the EULA,  probably because they TRUST Messenger Plus to do the 'right thing' (is disguising lop.com behind the innocous name of 'sponsor program' the right thing)?

Y'all know the EULA is not being read. So you have two options. Tell people what is being installed during installation, or let the problem continue.

Actually you are looking at this the wrong way. The known problem is that people are careless and don't read what is presented before them.

The option that is available is thus: try to get the message across that its always important to read things before you click ok. This doesn't just apply to the sponsor installation, it applies to using computers in general.

Blaming Plus and Patchou because people are lazy seems a stupid arguement to me. If you mistakenly install the sponsor that's a fault on your part, not Patchou's. I am yet to read a post on here that says "I read the agreement and agreed to install the sponsor, and then a sponsor got installed!!". The simple truth is, anyone who reads what is clearly presented before them, has never had any problems :)
10-01-2004 03:57 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:

The reason they don't read this is because they think that all programs have nothing but the program in them, a lot of them don't,  you should read each page carefully, its their own fault they clicked I accept the sponsor program.  And what is so bad about Patchou earning money, hey lets do the right thing and not get paid for anything, well thats a good way of looking at it... :dodgy:

Patchou isn't disguising it as anything, it is a sponsor program, it sponsors him to put the adware in his program doesn't it??

quote:

Its not patchous fault the eula isn't being read, and as he wrote out the eula etc. then he cannot be held responsible at all for this, and he is telling people what is being installed, and it doesn't need to be installed, its not a problem, its merely the incompetence of users of the plus! extension.
10-01-2004 04:22 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Bomber2k

It's the same with Plus! Patchyou likes comparing the Google toolbar to the adware bundled with Plus.
Well, they added a searchbar to MSN and yes, its ticked by default and how many people have installed it by accident? :P
The sponsor in plus isnt ticked as default, it was a long time ago but patchou changed it so it isnt due to people's suggestions :)

Now isnt Patchou telling u about the sponsor in the sponsor agreement? Then what else do u expect? its not an eula but THE SPONSOR AGREEMENT, its clearly stated 3 times in the window withouth even scrooling down. And the option u have to check clearly states: i accept, install the sponsor" or "i refuse, dont install it". Even if u didnt read the agreement, that line tells u what are u doing by accepting. if it only said "i accept" THEN u could complain :)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
10-01-2004 05:10 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: