What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Download blocking

Download blocking
Author: Message:
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Roll Eyes  Download blocking
I've made a web site for my music I make. On my site people can listen to my songs. But the thing I don't want them to do is download the songs. How could I block some one from downloading my music off my site.

So far I got a no right click on the site so they can't click save target as, but if they view the source or some how get the link to the song they can easly downbload it.

Is there any way to stop any downloads on the server or can I block them from being downloaded?
[Image: top.gif]
09-29-2004 10:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Download blocking
What about having a music server that a a phpfile connects to and plays the song. Not sure how to do it or if it would work but you can try it.
09-29-2004 10:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Download blocking
Well that makes two of us that don't know how to do that, lol. Humm I see what I do with that.
[Image: top.gif]
09-29-2004 11:39 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
You could just make the page a .php file so they can't view source, or an easier way would be to make the music files into .swf format....they could still download them, but nobody wants to listen to a playist of .swf music where they have to play each song individually (manually) :refuck:
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
09-29-2004 11:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
You could just make the page a .php file so they can't view source, or an easier way would be to make the music files into .swf format....they could still download them, but nobody wants to listen to a playist of .swf music where they have to play each song individually (manually)
nice idea... but still... it would be easy to take the song out of the swf (but granted, not everybody know how or even bothers to do it)...

DJeX, remember that anything, yep, anything, that you put on the web to listen to/preview/etc... can be downloaded and played locally. There is no way you can totaly block this.

What you also can do is only putting a low quality and cropped version on the web. In that way, people can preview it, but it would almost be stupid to actually download it and keep it... (intro of 10secs or so)

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 12:08 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 12:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
You could just make the page a .php file so they can't view source, or an easier way would be to make the music files into .swf format....they could still download them, but nobody wants to listen to a playist of .swf music where they have to play each song individually (manually)
Well you can always decompile the SWF file into "resources" so to speak and you can extract the music file so that wont work.

Like Cookie said, anything on the internet is fair game to be downloaded.

What about encrypted javascript code of the code to play the file in html. then when the page goes to load it, it just writes that data but still the user would see the script not the code. Yeti Sports used to do that, the way around it tho is putting an input box on the page and setting the innertext to the decrypted text.

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 12:43 AM by matty.
09-30-2004 12:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: