What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Plus! auto detection

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Plus! auto detection
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus! auto detection
i dunno the answer to that but you do make a good point there. if i click webcam on my convos i get a message back saying this contact doesnt have the ability to accept webcams or something like that come back to me surely plus could do something like that if the webcam thing isnt an invasion of privacy when it tests then neither would a plus tester script be an invasion of privacy. thats all im gonna say on the matter ive said my 2 cents so im gonna shut up now and not rgue further.
10-12-2004 09:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
why wouldn't anyone want other people to know that he/she has installed plus! on his/her computer? because they are ashamed of plus??? if they dont feel comfortable with plus, they wouldn't have installed it in the first place, right?
Cow juice...
10-12-2004 11:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
patrick

Occassionally when I'm bored I'll have a look at the Messenger Plus Contact Information for a few of my contacts and if it displays the common "may or may not have Plus! installed..." message then I'll click the "Check for Plus" button which will open a new convo and performa a standard ping. If they don't have it installed then they will probably reply with something like "???" in which case you have the unique opportunity to introduce them to Messenger Plus. After all, don't you want your contacts to be able to view your custom status', messages and actually see any of the convenient text formatting you can put into your messages?

Patrick
10-13-2004 05:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

there's no other way to know wether a contact has plus! or not. end of story? :s

Ask them :p
10-13-2004 06:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
i have this friend who didn't even know he has plus installed up until i pinged him...
Cow juice...
10-13-2004 06:37 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
of course i wanna shout it from the roof tops that i have plus but due to the inherrant instability of messenger i cant mass message all my contacts at once and you can only email 50 contacts at once through hotmail so telling people you have plus is a long winded process
10-13-2004 06:54 AM
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
so telling people you have plus is a long winded process

i disagree, everytime you chat with someone, all you have to do is to direct that person to msgplus.net, very easy

enable stuffplugNG's unlimited emoticons, and send them a message with emoticon fonts and that would convince them to get msgPlus
Cow juice...
10-13-2004 07:01 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
yeah i guess you gotta point there
10-13-2004 07:16 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Plus! auto detection
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
I think it had something to do with breach of privacy
This is indeed the mean reason.

The request that riahc4 made has been done several times since /ping was added. (eg: to add a Plus! sign on top of the convo window if the user had Plus!, etc...) Patchou always replied with the explanation that it would be some kind of a breach of trust/privacy. And that's why he implemented it the way he did. If he wanted it he could've programmed it so it was invisible, but for above reasons he didn't, just like M_E said/suggested. ;)

OK if this was the reason then why does MSN have a icon that shows that the other person has a webcam or not? And of course the person can disable it and show that he doesnt want people to know he got a cam.

(sorry bout the bump havent been here in a while)

OK whats the reply to this from Cookie??? If auto detecting Plus is a breach of privacy then the webcam is also a breach a privacy and its MSN's own creation! Maybe im missing something.
10-14-2004 03:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I had disgused this with Patchou during the making of Plus!2. We talked about all the ways possible and they all lead to the same answer. He could have used a Plus! to send information to the other computer, but then he would have to use Winsock, and Patchou never uses any controls for Plus!. Basically there is no way Patchou can/will do this.

Cookie's post is explaining the fact that it could be a breech of privacy even if there is an option to hide having it (which there is when it comes to responding to /ping requests). The webcam isn't a breech of privacy since you have the option of, and I quote from the Options in MSN Messenger, "Share my webcam capabilities with others." Meaning if its unchecked you wont see the webcam icon in the convo, if it is checked, you will see it.
10-14-2004 04:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: