What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help with understanding.

Help with understanding.
Author: Message:
Frosty

34 / Male / –
O.P. Help with understanding.
Hey all. I'm new to this forum but not to this site. I just want help understanding a few things. But first. I know some Visual Basic 6.0 programming. For about 8months (i think) I have used it to cheat online games etc.. Neopets. I was getting bored of that tho and i want to move on. But i cannot understand how patches for MSN messenger are made. I mean i understand it changes variables from the main file. But how do you ACTUALLY cange it? Do you like open the whole coding into VB and modify it? Or do i have it completely wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated. And just for the record, i'm not a n00b lol. I just have had no experience in this genre of programming. I hope to remain active and contribute to this site :)
Thanks in advance.

-Frosty

This post was edited on 10-03-2004 at 09:37 PM by Frosty.
10-03-2004 09:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Help with understanding.
If you open up a textfile with notepad you see the literal text. The text is the actual content of the file and is literally showed as text by the program which you use to open the file. The same with Word documents for example. Open them up in Word, and Word interprets the actual data inside the file as a document (with layout and stuff). Now open that same Word document in notepad. It simply will show you the 'codes' because it thinks it is text.

Now, all this goes for every file on your computer. The data inside the file differs from filetype to filetype. Executables are no different; they consist of many characters and if you open it up in notepad you'll see some of those characters (the ones that notepad can display at least).

If you open up an executable in Windows itself, it will be recognized as an executable and the codes (aka characters) are executed.

These 'codes' can be viewed with a hexadecimal viewer/editor. A hexadecimal viewer/editor is actually nothing more then a notepad type program. Only instead of showing the characters as text (ASCII), it shows the ASCII codes of those characters as hexadecimal numbers (eg: the letter 'Z' is in ASCII decimal code '90' and in hexadecimal it would be '0x5A').

A typical screen of a hex-editor, viewing a program would be:

[Image: attachment.php?tid=18135&pid=163968]

As you can see in the middle column, the hexadecimal numbers of the actual characters are shown in rows of 16 numbers. On the right you'll see the actual characters (the ones that can be displayed). The numbers on the left represent the first "character number" of the line of where we are in the file, this is called the offset and is also typical represented as a hexadecimal number.

In the example this is number 0x1BD0 (or the 7120th character inside the file) which represents the character '91'...

But how do all those characters execute any code? Well, some characters are interpreted as routines inside the computer. So a certain sequence of characters can represent a certain programming statement. (vice versa: your programs must be translated into these characters before it can actually run and this is called compiling.)

Other characters represent nothing more then text, and these can, of course, easly be recognized as text when you view the right column in a hex-viewer; they wont appear as random characters but as the actual text of course.

Also, all the positions of the codes are very important. (even if they are just text). And because of the fact that some characters can't be shown in text editors and are simply ignored, you will damage the executable beyond repair if you edit it in a text editor!

So all this explains what you actually are seeing in a hex-viewer. And this is were patching comes into play. Patching means: changing something in something different.

Eg: some text is stored inside an executable. You want to change this text from "something" to "SoMeThInG". So you open up your hex-editor and search for that string and overwrite it with "SoMeThInG", then you save the file again. Now you have successfully patched the executable.

But also note that both strings were of the same length! This is very important because you don't want to overwrite the codes which come after this string. Also "inserting" or "deleting" will not work because every order and place of the codes is very important!

These type of patches are very easy to make as you can see; you search for the string, replace it with something of the same length, et voila... done...

But most patches do more then that, they change the actual workings of a program. In other words, they change those unreadable random characters.

How does one know what to replace? Well, that's easly said, but very hard to do: You need to dissassemble the program. This means that you need another program to translate all the different sequences of characters back to understandable programming code. Understandable is an understatement here, because it is actually very hard to understand this kind of language, also known as ASM.

Because you have now translated it back to programming code, you can begin to change the program itself. When that is done you compile the program again. (same principle as you would do in another higher language like VB or C++).

Of course you didn't change all of it's code, only a few bits and bobs. So to redistribute your altered program, you don't need to provide the whole program again (imagine if it was a 10Mb program, it would take some time to send it to your friends) and that is where patches come into play again.

So you have your altered program and you also have the original program. Now you can compare those two byte per byte (character per character). You only need to know the changes in those character sequences and the positions of those changes to make your patch.

Eg: in the example image above on the first line you'll see it states:
"91 34  BA 76 2F CB 6B 40 99 61 0E 0C 4C DA AE F2".
Imagine that we have dissassembled the program, changed it, compiled it again and the result is:
"91 34  BA 76 99 CB 6B 40 99 61 0E 0C AF DA AE F2".

You can see 2 changes in the sequence: 0x2F to 0x99 and 0x4C to 0xAF. And this happened in offsets 0x1BD4 and 0x1BDC. So all we need to do now is write a small program (in VB, C++, or whatever) that opens up the original file, changes those characters at those positions, and saves the file back and we have our patch...

And that is how people know what and where to change something; they search for the string to change or they "just" alter the programming code of the executable itself, and then compare the differences.

In this way, you can simply give the offset and the bytes to change into, like I did in these posts:
     "TABS in MSN v6.1.0207 (How-To) (also extra games)" (text-patching)
     "CookieRevised's reply to How to disabled auto complete emot?" (code-patching)
     "CookieRevised's reply to Url's In Name <<Help>>" (code-patching)
Then the people who want to do the patch manually need to open the file in a hexadecimal editor, go to those offsets and change those bytes....

Note: This whole principle can be done with any filetype of course. Even with pictures, documents, etc. As long as you have something to translate those unreadable "random characters" (which aren't random at all as you know now) back to some readable things.

More practical info about polygamy patches for MSN Messenger (and explanation of loader-patches, etc):
Polygamy (what/why/when/etc...)

Note: Patching is in many cases illegal!

Note: If you don't know what you're doing then don't even try it! Things can really turn bad!

EDIT: phew... I'm going to bed now :p ... btw, sorry for the spelling mistakes spelling fixed thanks to Time ;)

This post was edited on 10-08-2004 at 12:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-03-2004 10:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Frosty

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Help with understanding.
holy sh*t lol cookie. That must've taken you a long time. But how can it be done in one executable exe made in VB i mean like the polygamy. You select 'msnmsgr.exe' press patch and it does it. How can it alter the code in that exe without opening hex editor etc... :-/
10-03-2004 10:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty
holy sh*t lol cookie. That must've taken you a long time. But how can it be done in one executable exe made in VB i mean like the polygamy. You select 'msnmsgr.exe' press patch and it does it. How can it alter the code in that exe without opening hex editor etc... :-/
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You can see 2 changes in the sequence: 0x2F to 0x99 and 0x4C to 0xAF. And this happend in offsets 0x1BD4 and 0x1BDC. So all we need to do now is write a small program (in VB, C++, or whatever) that opens up the original file, change those characters at those positions, and saves the file back and we have our patch...
You only need the hex-editor to view the actual characters of the "codes", you don't need it once you have written your patch-program. A patch-program does nothing more then opening the executable and alter the correct bytes at the correct positions (just like it would open a textfile and alter some text)...

This post was edited on 10-03-2004 at 11:05 PM by CookieRevised.
10-03-2004 10:55 PM
Frosty

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Help with understanding.
ohhhh i see. Thanks alot cookie. You've really helped me :)
10-03-2004 11:07 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
A patch-program does nothing more then opening the executable and alter the correct bytes at the correct positions (just like it would open a textfile and alter some text)...

does this means that theys a patch template ? or dou have to make it from scratch ?
10-03-2004 11:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
does this means that theys a patch template ? or dou have to make it from scratch ?
from scratch, there is nothing to "template". If you know some programming language, you'll see that this is only a few lines of code. In pseudo-basic code:
code:
Offset1 = 0x1BD4
Offset2 = 0x1BDC
ByteSequence1 = 0x99
ByteSequence2 = 0xAF

Open "programtobepatched.exe" for binary input as #1
  Put #1, Offset1, ByteSequence1
  Put #1, Offset2, ByteSequence2
Close #1

This post was edited on 10-03-2004 at 11:34 PM by CookieRevised.
10-03-2004 11:32 PM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Is there any wesbite that explains ASM code so I can learn it?
[Image: top.gif]
10-03-2004 11:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
learn to use google: "learn" "ASM"
and you will get tons of it...
;)

This post was edited on 10-04-2004 at 12:05 AM by CookieRevised.
10-04-2004 12:05 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
What patches u got in idea?
10-04-2004 04:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »