What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Improving your PC's performance - easily!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Improving your PC's performance - easily!
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Wink  Improving your PC's performance - easily!
This guide was written by me (blade) right now....because I was bored...:P

Estimated time of tweaks and modifications: 20 minutes or less.
Estimated time of Adware/Spyware/Virus scan and Defrage: Varies from PC to PC.

STEP1: Apperance

If you have a Windows theme program, turning it off will increase performance. To get optimized performance, use the Windows "Classic" theme.

Next, right click "My Computer", go to "Properties" and go to the "Advanced" tab. There should be a section labled "Performane", click the corresponding button. There will be a bunch of check boxes. Go through and uncheck the ones you don't want. Doing so will decrease Windows apperance, but it will increase performance.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=317608]

STEP 2: Settings

In the same porperties box ("System Properties") as used in stepo 1, go to the "Automatic Update" tab. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MANUALLY UPDATE,  turn that off, it will save memory, otherwise just leave it. Next, go back to the "Advanced" tab and hit  the button under "Performance" yet again.  There will be another tab labled "Advanced" in this box, go to it. Click the button under "Virtual Memory" at the bottom. Depending on the size/number of HDD you have, set this amount. It will speed up performance mildly. I have an 80 and 120 GB HDD, so I have the Initial and Max set to 4096 (the max) on both HDD's.

STEP 3: Services

Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
This part will require thorough reading.

The following services MAY be stopped and set to "Manual" without causing problems. To do so, right click the service and hit "Properties". Your Services section should looks similar to this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=317610]

* Automatic Updates - Searches for Windows Updates, but slows the Computer down aswell. (Advanced users only!)
* Error Reporting Service - Does anybody still use this? Sends an error report to Microsoft when a program crashes.
* FTP Publishing Service - Only needed if your computer is a server.
* Indexing Service - Speeds up searches, but not enough to be worth the memory usage.
* Machine Debug Manager - An un-needed program debugger.
* Messeger - Not related to MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger, it is not nedded unless your computer is a server
* Plug and Play (Advanced) - Automatically detects and attempts to install new hardware. Only disable this if you are an advanced user.
* Security Center (SP2) - This annoying program that Windows calls the "Security Center" really doesn't do a whole lot, and doesn't work properly.
* Remote Registry Service -- You don't remotely access the Registry of other systems on your local network.
* Run As Service -- You don't use any applications that run as an alias.
* World Wide Web Publishing Service - Again, only needed for a server.

Note: This step can also be done through msconfig, but it is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

STEP 4: Clean-up
Are there any programs that aren't needed anymore that start automatically?  Whatpulse? Steam? Disable as many programs that automatically start with your PC.

Next, we'll get rid of that un-wanted Ad/Spyware. Download (if you do not already have) one of the following programs.
AdAware
Spybot S&D

After installing one of those, run an adware check. Delete all of the files it finds unless you KNOW they are needed. Note: Before using the adware/spwyware programs to delete un-wanted wares, it is best to attempt to do so manually using Start >  Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

This next part may take some time, so don't do this if you have anything you need to do on the PC:

1)Update your Anti-Virus Virus definitions (if applicable) and your Operating Sytem through Windows update.
2) Do a virus check if you have an Ant-Virus. If you don't, I suggest getting Norton Anti-Virus. Also: Thanks to Keystorm for noting, those without an Anti-Virus can do a free, online scan HERE.
3) Do a Disk De-Fragment ( Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragment )

After that's all said and done, I also suggest you look through your HDD(s) to find things you no longer need, then un-install or delete them (depending on what they are).

END OF TUTORIAL

Something else that may help you out: Your Connection up/down rate. Go to http://www.dslreports.com/stest and follow the directions given :)

Tutorial by Blade
Hope it helps ;)
Note: If you have anything I should add to this tutorial, or comments, please post in this thread. Please excuse any spelling errors.

Also note: I will add more to the guide, and more screenshots later :)

.jpg File Attachment: mycomp_adv_perf.JPG (46.93 KB)
This file has been downloaded 402 time(s).

This post was edited on 10-06-2004 at 07:01 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
10-06-2004 05:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Improving your PC's performance - easily!
Control Panel Image.

.jpg File Attachment: ctr_services.JPG (107.11 KB)
This file has been downloaded 391 time(s).
10-06-2004 05:22 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

37 / Male / –
RE: Improving your PC's performance - easily!
quote:
Originally posted by blade
In the same porperties box ("System Properties") as used in steo 1, go to the "Automatic Update" tab. Turn that off, it will save memory.
This and disabling the corresponding service... I'm not sure how far that's good. It will safe a bit memory, but will probably make your windows better, at least safer. I wouldn't suggest anyone to disable that unless they knew what they do.

quote:
Next, we'll get rid of that un-wanted Ad/Spyware. Download (if you do not already have) one of the following programs:
AdAware
Spybot S&D
Well you should also say they have to try to get rid of the adware, sponsors and other things using the uninstallers or going to the Add/Remove Panel. The more such programs get properly uninstalled, the better performance will become.  These ad-cleaners usually leave some files and registry keys behind. Which slows down your computer.
They're only useful as alternative, when there's no proper way to uninstall them.

About the services... I have quite a couple of programs running as services, you can't say that for 100%. Iirc ZoneAlarm runs as a service and so may do some drivers.

You may indeed disable Remote Procedure Call, Remote desktop assistant (if you don't use that feature), Windows audio (if you don't give a f*ck about those sound played when widnows starts or shuts down), Windows Image Acquisition, etc.

Anyway, disabling services is something you shouldn't do if you don't really know what you're doing.

It's much better to disable them using Run > "msconfig".

From there you can also disable programs from running at startup, which REALLY increases performance a lot if managed properly. There you can always re-enable programs and services safely.

Besides this couple of points, your tutorial is nice.  Maybe a couple of reg keys would make it more complete, like the TimeToKill one, can't really recall.

This post was edited on 10-06-2004 at 06:14 PM by KeyStorm.
10-06-2004 05:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm

Besides this couple of points, your tutorial is nice.  Maybe a couple of reg keys would make it more complete, like the TimeToKill one, can't really recall.

Thx :) I updated it with the points you suggested :P

RE: the msconfig thing - na, because this is supposed to be a tutorial that even a n00b could do :P msconfig requires a bit of knowledge of wtf you're doing.

This post was edited on 10-06-2004 at 06:02 PM by .blade//.
10-06-2004 05:57 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

37 / Male / –
quote:
RE: the msconfig thing - na, because this is supposed to be a tutorial that even a n00b could do msconfig requires a bit of knowledge of wtf you're doing.

However, it's really easier to disable services in there. :-/

And I'm not so sure a noob should play around very much with services... :S

Edit: Btw, to have a good virtual memory: if you have a HD you don't use constantly (no programs installed, only back-up or downloaded files. placed in your Secondary IDE, set 100% of your assigned virtual memory there. That will increase your speed a lot, baceuse it doesn't interfere with other disk activities (assuming you use a rather idle HD)

Edit2: It's not really dangerous to play around with msconfig, as long as you keep fingers out the *.INI tabs.

Edit3: For those who don't have an antivirus and want to scan, try http://www.activescan.com

This post was edited on 10-06-2004 at 06:28 PM by KeyStorm.
10-06-2004 06:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

cheers blade, thats cool of you :)

I've configured all of the settings now, where did you get all of this info from?
10-06-2004 06:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I've configured all of the settings now, where did you get all of this info from?

You're welcome :) and it's stuff I've learned in the last few years :P

This post was edited on 10-06-2004 at 06:45 PM by .blade//.
10-06-2004 06:45 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
quote:

You're welcome :) and it's stuff I've learned in the last few years :P

ahh, cool, lol, well anyway, you got any ideas about making my internet connection go a bit faster if you know what i mean (sending, downloading and browsing will suffice)
10-06-2004 06:47 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
ahh, cool, lol, well anyway, you got any ideas about making my internet connection go a bit faster if you know what i mean (sending, downloading and browsing will suffice)

Well I need to know some stuff first:
Connection type (ADSL, DSL, Cable, Dial-up, etc)
Connection up/down speed (you can test that at http://www.dslreports.com/stest )
Provider
Using a firewall or router?
10-06-2004 06:51 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:

Well I need to know some stuff first:
Connection type (ADSL, DSL, Cable, Dial-up, etc)
Connection up/down speed (you can test that at http://www.dslreports.com/stest )
Provider
Using a firewall or router?

Well, its... Blueyonder Broadband Internet, its digital, lol,

246.1kbp/s  30.1K bytes/sec, and no, i ain't using either. but i'm using lots and lots and loats of virus software.. 8-)
10-06-2004 06:57 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: