What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » New v3.21.104 & Sponsor/Toolbar bug.

New v3.21.104 & Sponsor/Toolbar bug.
Author: Message:
Sanjay

– / Male / –
O.P. New v3.21.104 & Sponsor/Toolbar bug.
I am not sure if this qualifies as a bug or if it is an intentional change to the program. In the past whenever I updated Messenger Plus! it never installed the optional Sponsor stuff, but today upon upgrading I don't recall (99% sure) seeing the Agreement Window and I ended up with the Sponsor Toolbar installed. I then uninstalled Messenger Plus! and reinstalled from scratch, this time ofcourse the Sponsor Agreement Window was there and I was able to install without the Sponsor stuff.

I am wonderign if there is a difference between upgrading and a fresh install regarding this.
10-12-2004 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: New v3.21.104 & Sponsor/Toolbar bug.
no there is no difference, however i seem to remember patchou saying somthing about trying different sponsor agreement windows, so maybe you got a different window the first time and the old one the second time !!

however this is just a guess, so don't take what i have said as facts

edit:
see choli's post for more details

This post was edited on 10-12-2004 at 03:12 PM by toddy.
10-12-2004 03:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
I am wonderign if there is a difference between upgrading and a fresh install regarding this.
No. There is not (and never have been) any difference between upgrading and doing a fresh install. The installer in both cases is just exactly the same.
quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
I don't recall (99% sure) seeing the Agreement Window
with this version of plus (3.21.104) Patchou has made 5 installers. They install the same Plus and (if you want) the same sponsor. The difference is in the way of asking you if you want to install the sponsor. I've tested all the 5 installers myself and in all of them the user is asked to install the sponsor. Even more: in some of them, the user is asked twice.

What happened to you is that you got one of the installers that isn't the same as the "usual" in previous versions and you accepted the sponsor by mistake. Just be a bit more carefull next time ;)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-12-2004 03:07 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
ok let me help here. in version 3.20.100 there is a sponsor program screen but whenever i saw it because i dont read those screens as they normaly look like bog standard licence agreements i ended up with the sponsor program installed. now then by the time version 3.21.104 was released id heard about the testing of the sponsor agreement for the new versions installer so this time i was looking for it in the latest version the sponsor agreement shows a picture of the sponsor bar which i remembered seeing in internet explorer but until seeing it there in the plus installer never knew where it came from. so then i was able to make my choice about whether to install it or not.

the fact the screenshots in the agreement makes the user realise its not a licence agreement and therefore they will pay attention to it. looking back i feel the old way the sponsor agreement was done was a bit deceptive but in doing some basic vb as part of my recent college course i knew programmings not easy so i dont blame patchou for not including the screenshot in earlier versions. the important thing is the screenshots now included in the installer and will hopefully stay there in future versions.
10-12-2004 09:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
the important thing is the screenshots now included in the installer and will hopefully stay there in future versions.
If I remember correctly, that screenshot of the search bar is only included in 2 of the 5 installation types, however I also like those versions more, specially the one with only 3 installation screens. (setup 3, i think)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-13-2004 10:46 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
yes i think thats the installer i have its got the start screen then the sponsor screen then the code finish screen it looks great. i also like the new uninstaller where you have to enter a randomly generated 7 digit code to uninstall it i think its really great.
10-13-2004 10:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: