What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Password-protecting files

Password-protecting files
Author: Message:
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Password-protecting files
hi,

is there any way to password protect files or folders in the c drive or whatever, preferably without a program but if there is a program that lets you do it, what is it?

hmm... what a messed up question.

thanks.
10-07-2004 07:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
RE: Password-protecting files
instead of a password, you can hide the files. Right click the file/folder and go to properties, once you're there check "Hide" and once you press ok and it leaves that box, you will see the folder/file shaded outa bit. Then, at the top of windows explorer, you'll see a drop down menue that is labeled "tools" go to that, then "folder properties" go to view, and there will be a check box in that list about "donot show my hidden files/folders" anc check that.

theres also an encryption way, but im not totally sure how to get it tow work, and there might be difficulties.
10-07-2004 08:32 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
If you're using windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 *, you can change permissions so others can't see what is inside the folder and/or you can encript it too. You can do that in the properties of the file/folder.

Checking the hide bos does nothing beucause anyone can undo the hide and see its contents.

If you're in Windows 9x/ME, that it's a bit more complex because you can't use native encryption or permissions. You should rely on a 3rd party software.

* -> that's only true in case the file/folder is in a drive (partition) formatted in NTFS, not FAT nor FAT32. In case of it being in FAT/FAT32, you are in the same case as in Windows9x/ME.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-07-2004 08:45 PM
Triple8

43 / Male / –
theres a also a good program called Secure Files which i use.
cant find a link at the moment
10-08-2004 04:07 PM
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Password-protecting files
thanks everyone, ill look for that program.

thanks!
10-08-2004 07:19 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
If you're using windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 *, you can change permissions so others can't see what is inside the folder and/or you can encript it too. You can do that in the properties of the file/folder.
I wouldn't rely on that... At school they do that, and guess who accessed the school computer without problems ;)
10-08-2004 07:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I wouldn't rely on that... At school they do that, and guess who accessed the school computer without problems ;)
Well, one thing is changin the permissions and another thing, way more complex is changing the permissions correctly. It isn't trivial to change them giving the right premissions for every one and in a way all continue working.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-08-2004 11:00 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: