What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Poll: Which one is better? Win XP SP2 Firewall or Norton AntiVirus 2005 Internet Worm Protection??
Windows XP SP2 Firewall
Norton AntiVirus 2005 Internet Worm Protection
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??
Author: Message:
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??
Hi everyone.

At first, I have been using Windows XP SP2 Firewall. Than I have installed Norton AntiVirus 2005, and it offered me so called Internet Worm Protection.

Which one is better in your oppinion, and why? Which one are you using (or would you use)??

Thanks!
10-10-2004 03:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??
They're both different product though. A firewall limits incoming connections and packets, and that Worm protection will protect against known worms. So, use both!
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-10-2004 03:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
Microsoft=shit.
Go with norton.
Never Hope. Always Wish.
10-10-2004 04:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
They're both different product though. A firewall limits incoming connections and packets, and that Worm protection will protect against known worms. So, use both!
No, as far as I understand, they both do the same thing: blocking incoming/outgoing connections. I also got a message from Norton AntiVirus that I better use either SP2 Firewall or Internet Worm Protection.

My question was just: what works better? What detects/blocks more activities?
10-10-2004 06:23 PM
Alamarco2

Internazionale

36 / Male / –
Both Windows SP1 firewall and SP2 firewall only block incomming connections. They dont block outgoing. So if you got a trojan on your computer somehow, you'd be screwed. Outgoing protection is a must.

I would suggest trying out Sygate or Outpost. You could also use NIS, not sure if Worm Protection is different then the normal NIS though.
10-11-2004 04:03 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Alamarco2
Both Windows SP1 firewall and SP2 firewall only block incomming connections.
WRONG! SP2 firewall blocks outgoing as well. I have SP2, and it has asked about allowing about a dozen different outgoings now.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-11-2004 06:40 AM
Qucumber

– / Female / –
It really is personal choice.  SP2 has an AWESOME firewall... personally I use both... I just SP2 and McAfee - I like both... I kinda like McAfee, never used Norton before but I have used Zone Alarm...

it really comes down to WHAT YOU feel most comfortable with.  The windows firewall in service pack 2 is a million times different then the internet connection firewall in service pack 1.  It is an excellent firewall for free protection. 

I have service pack 2 training; here is the information about incoming and outgoing traffic:

> Windows firewall drops all unsolicited incoming traffic that does not correspond to either traffic send in respond to a request of the computer (solicited traffic) or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed (exceptions).
> Windows firewall does not drop outgoing traffic, with the exception of some internet control message protocol (ICMP) messages (packets sent to an incorrect gateway server or network packets that had expired).
10-11-2004 08:23 AM
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
But...
quote:
Originally posted by Help and Support Center
In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. (However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.) You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall.
I think the users should choose only one firewall. And I read an article somewhere that if users have Windows Firewall and other firewall running can cause "conflicts." :-/
Registered 7639 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes, 53 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

10-11-2004 08:34 AM
Qucumber

– / Female / –
haha - I didn't mean both at the same time.... I don't even have service pack 2 installed!  I just meant that I like both and they both do good job, of course a third party firewall is going to go a better job (more features) but the one with service pack 2 is pretty good.
10-11-2004 08:39 AM
Alamarco2

Internazionale

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better??
quote:
Originally posted by raceproukWRONG! SP2 firewall blocks outgoing as well. I have SP2, and it has asked about allowing about a dozen different outgoings now.

Actually, I'm right. Check out anywhere on the web (ie. security forums) and they will tell you SP2 firewall only blocks incomming. If it did block outgoing, why could everyone still use firewalls like Sygate? It would be a waste of space and resources.

I had SP2 installed and I looked at the firewall. There was no outgoing protection. You might be confused with what's being blocked.

Links:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/51622

quote:
Originally posted by hayc59 from http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=153397
However, althought bringing to the user popups to the screen about applications, XP SP2 firewall still stay an inbound firewall only. This can be confusing because usually when a personal firewall warns the user about an application, it's about an outbound traffic. At the opposite, SP2 firewall warns the user when an application binded to the network interface (listening on a port) is receiving traffic. In this way, using IE will not bring any popup, whereas using a software acting like a server (P2P softwares, IM file transfer, etc...) will.
10-11-2004 05:19 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: