What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » generic Host process for win32 Services

generic Host process for win32 Services
Author: Message:
Bionic

38 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  generic Host process for win32 Services
My computer crashed and I bought a new one upgrading from 98 Second Edition to XP..... Now that the cheers have died down, a question. I recognise all the zonealarm pop-ups for permission to connect except: Generic Host Process for Win32 services.

I said no every time it popped up. However when I looked in Zone Alarm I found it had gained its own permission. One GHP for Win pops up when I enter Mail Washer. I say no and it doesnt make any difference to the functioning of MW, although I have noticed MW sometimes leaps into Outlook Express without being prompted.

Is it safe to allow permission to GHP for Win everytime it pops up. I have no idea what is safe and what is not.

Thanks

.jpg File Attachment: Generic Host Process for win32 services.jpg (62.11 KB)
This file has been downloaded 107 time(s).
10-15-2004 07:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: generic Host process for win32 Services
"Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Note: The svchost.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other cases, svchost.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-15-2004 09:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: