What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » program that opens compressed exes ?

program that opens compressed exes ?
Author: Message:
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. program that opens compressed exes ?
Is there any program that can open compressed exe files for reshacking ?
I usually use ResHacker but it can just open non-compresses executables so now i need a program in ResHack-style that can open compressed ones.
Anybody knows a good one ?
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
10-19-2004 03:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: program that opens compressed exes ?
Files (including executables) can be compressed in hundreds of ways. It is up to you to figure out what compression-method is used, and decompress them with the proper program before reshacking them.

But take note that the reason why executables are compressed is often to prevent "hacking" them. In other words: illegal....

And because it is very often illegal to uncompress the files and reshack them, I wont say anything more then this: You can almost always find out the compression method used by looking at the executables DOS stub header to find the first allocation point; that will often give you the name of the program used for compressing. (UPX is the most widespread (and free) method used)

Thus also remember that there isn't a program to view compressed executables as there are hundreds of methods and programs able to compress executables (all in different ways).

Really want to know more? I suggest to google for it, there are thousands of sites about "exe compression"....

This post was edited on 10-20-2004 at 02:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-19-2004 05:03 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: program that opens compressed exes ?
Thanks cookie, i'll do some googleing :D
10-19-2004 07:14 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And because it is very often illegal to uncompress the files and reshack them, I wont say anything more then this:
I was going to say the name of the program, but Cookie's point of view made change mine too. However, I can say that the only program I know to do that is not free (not like ResHack) and I think I know about that program because I saw its name in a thread here; not sure tho.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-19-2004 07:26 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: program that opens compressed exes ?
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I was going to say the name of the program, but Cookie's point of view made change mine too. However, I can say that the only program I know to do that is not free (not like ResHack) and I think I know about that program because I saw its name in a thread here; not sure tho.
you mean PE Explorer ?
The DOS stub header of the compressed file is
code:
MZP.....................@.........{.....................................!..L.!..This program must be run under Win32..$7
but how can i find out the compression and a program to decompress it ?

This post was edited on 10-19-2004 at 08:18 PM by andrey.
10-19-2004 08:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by AndreY
you mean PE Explorer ?
Proberly... and look what standard decompression method it comes with: The same I mentioned in my previous post..... ;)

quote:
Originally posted by AndreY
The DOS stub header of the compressed file is
code:
MZP.....................@.........{.....................................!..L.!..This program must be run under Win32..$7
but how can i find out the compression and a program to decompress it ?
That's not the exact DOS Stub Header. But anyways, I wasn't very clear, sorry... It's not in the exact DOS Stub header itself, but within this header you'll find the locations of the various other headers and if you all skip them you'll come to the first entry point, etc. were the program will be mentionned which is used to compress the file (if it isn't encrypted or overwritten though).

Just look at the file with a hex editor (like you did) and notice everything in the first hundreds bytes of the file...

Search google "portable executable file format"

The hints given here in this thread are more then enough to (illegally) edit your DLL file*...

*I can see that it is a DLL file by the DOS MZ Header you posted...

PS: compressing/hexediting your own made programs isn't illegal, so technically no rules are broken. But you asked this for editing a file not of your own, which is illegal. ;)

This post was edited on 10-20-2004 at 03:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-20-2004 03:00 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: