What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » weird 4.7 problem

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
weird 4.7 problem
Author: Message:
THZ

– / Male / –
O.P. weird 4.7 problem
ok, first i didn't know for sure, now i tested and i was right!

when i install msgplus, windows messenger (4.7) starts with windows but completely in the background, i can only see it in the taskmanager.
i just formatted and it doesn't start when i reboot, i install plus and it does start! weird thingy...
now i don't mind that windows messenger starts but, when i try to log on to msn 6.1 (i know its the old one but i just don't like the new version) he says i have network problems, when i shut down windows messenger (via the taskmanager) the mysterious network problems are gone and 6.1 logs me in... and no im not stupid, i checked everything, all autostarts are disabled...

it just comes to this: msgplus starts windows messenger and msn messenger doesn't want to sign me in when windows messenger is running...

maybe i'm the only one, maybe its with msn 6.1 but i just wanted to report it...

i have winxp running msgplus 3.0194 and msn messenger 6.1.0211 and windows messenger 4.7.2009
10-21-2004 05:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: weird 4.7 problem
Upgrade to 6.2: best thing to do really.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-21-2004 06:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
THZ

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: weird 4.7 problem
first of all, i hate 6.2
and, on a second thought, i don't see why 6.2 would solve the problem :S
i think windows is just to stupid to understand that if winmsgr is not running, it schouldn't try too hook it with msgplus so starts winmsgr to hook it... i don't know if thats the problem but thats possible...
10-21-2004 07:34 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
This isn't the problem. In your task manager end msmsgs.exe

Then click start > run > type msconfig and hit ok.

Click the startup tab. Uncheck msmsgs.exe this will prevent Windows Messenger from loading on startup.
10-21-2004 07:38 PM
THZ

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by THZ
and no im not stupid, i checked everything, all autostarts are disabled...

no further comments, don't read half of the post matty...
10-21-2004 07:41 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
Some poorly coded plug-ins are known to cause this behaviour. If you have some of those, you can choose not to use them anymore.

Another solution would be to disable Windows Messenger in a proper way. Its features will still be available, but the program itself won't load anymore. Take a look at CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger for information on how to disable Windows Messenger in a proper way :)
10-21-2004 07:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
ok everyone i dont know whats caused this problem but heres a solution. i have a file that will completely uninstall windows messenger thus solving your problem. the files called "xp messenger remove.vbs" as you can see its a visual basics script i will try to email it to you just run the file hen you get it and problem solved. quick amendment i need your email address thz in order to send the file to you please reply to this thread with your email address thanks.

This post was edited on 10-21-2004 at 08:40 PM by stuartbennett.
10-21-2004 08:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
Stuartbennett, I doubt that your way of removing Windows Messenger will be a neat and clean way of doing it, without causing too much damage. I gave a link to CookieRevised's very detailed post on how to do it. This way will be spotless and won't mess anything up.

Simply put: if you remove it not entirely correct, you might have problems with Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and the Song2Nick-plugin and maybe other things; therefore, I really recommend using the way CookieRevised described :)
10-21-2004 08:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
i havent had any problems after using this file. i am willing to accept it might not work with everyones configuration but it does work for me and as far as i know it is a clean way of doing it. now then i did take a look at the thread you linked to however its a very long thread i gave up about half way down there are many different methods explained in this thread and its all very confusing as i wouldnt know which method specifically to use. as i said before in my previous post if thz sends me his email address or contacts me on msn messenger at lylatwars19@hotmail.com i will happily send him the script file ultimately although you might have a valid point here it is thz's decision on whos advice he takes if he wants to try my method im willing to help him. whats good about this thread is he is not sure of advice and has plenty of possible solutions to try so should eventually have his problem solved.

This post was edited on 10-21-2004 at 09:08 PM by stuartbennett.
10-21-2004 08:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
THZ

– / Male / –
i never trust vbs unless i made it myself ;)
anyways, i was just reporting it, i found a non-propper way to disable it, i just change the filename of winmsgr and make sure the link in the start menu works...
kinda weird i know... i just wanted to report it, maybe other people had the same thing...

btw i only had stuffplug ng, i don't think sp is poorly coded:P

This post was edited on 10-21-2004 at 10:22 PM by THZ.
10-21-2004 10:20 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: