What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » "Away" Status

"Away" Status
Author: Message:
Kally

O.P. "Away" Status
Hi,

I've noticed that if you have Plus you can tell when a contact sets their status manually to "Away" vs. if it actually goes idle on it's own.  Am I correct on this?

The other question I have is - Is there a way I can show as "Away" for one of my contacts but "Online" for all my others?

Thanks.
10-26-2004 03:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: "Away" Status
quote:
Originally posted by Kally
I've noticed that if you have Plus you can tell when a contact sets their status manually to "Away" vs. if it actually goes idle on it's own.  Am I correct on this?
yes, you can see this in the eventlog window:
"contact appears to be idle"
vs.
"contact status has been changed to: away"

Although, with some utilities, you could also set your status to "idle" manually. So it is not a 100% water proof indication though...

There is also a way to see this in the contactlist. But this involves (illegal) patching of the MSN Messenger program: "Matty's reply to Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??"

Also note that some people will become idle after 1 minute, some people after 99 minutes,... or whatever...

The "Idle" status depends on your MSN Messenger setting: "Show me as away when I'm inactive for x minutes". If you didn't tick that feature, then you will never be in "Idle". Hence you still can truly be away when you set your status to "Away".

Thus it is only after X minutes of inactivity that your status will be set to "Idle", and only if you have that option ticked.

quote:
Originally posted by Kally
The other question I have is - Is there a way I can show as "Away" for one of my contacts but "Online" for all my others?
Nope, because your status is "stored" on the MSN Servers and they store this for all your contacts in 1 same "spot". Not for each individual contact...

This post was edited on 10-26-2004 at 03:38 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-26-2004 03:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kally

O.P. RE: "Away" Status
Thank you.
10-26-2004 05:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend