What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » SMS Alerts

Would you use this Plugin if it was avaliable?
This poll is closed.
Yes 4 40%
No 4 40%
Maybe 2 20%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

SMS Alerts
Author: Message:
KrisReynolds

O.P. Cool  SMS Alerts
Would it be possible to create a plugin which will send a text message (SMS) to someones phone, possibly using the MSN Mobile service, for specified events.

For example:

When "james" signs in, a text message is sent to my phone to tell me this.

or

When I receive email, a text message is sent to my phone to tell me this.

I can't write programs or anything so I'm hoping someone wants to try it!
10-26-2004 10:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
neoyaquay2002

RE: SMS Alerts
Would be Great to have one plugin like this. However, I believe some countries charges each SMS from MSN Mobile Service I think. What if the "james" happens to have connection problems and keeps signing in and out, Won't your bill be scary when it comes? hehe. but it will be cool to have such Plugin too.
10-26-2004 01:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: SMS Alerts
indeed... also the fact that you, yourself, need to subscribe the a SMS service (or have your own expensive SMS central server). And even not all countries, or even not all companies for that matter, have such an online service. All this makes that this plugin is almost impossible to make for general use*.

An alternative is creating some workaround were you use the inbuild SMS feature of MSN Messenger (if it is just you who wants to be informed when someone signs in for example). But this requires again a subscription, this time to MSN Mobile. And were it is again possible that your phonecompany doesn't support MSN Mobile...

But this said, if your company is listed and supports MSN Mobile, then you could use this together with MSN Alerts do get exactly what you want (without the need of any plugin and/or application).

Another alternative would be to buy a "smartphone" (eg: Nokia 6600**) and install a program like Agile Messenger. With this you can chat to your MSN Messenger contacts like if you were in front of your PC.

* "for general use" meaning usefull for everybody. This is impossible because as said, not all companies provide an online sms service. But for those who do, you could make something like this. eg: "I have a new pluggin"

**also on the other brands there are other Messenger programs available of course)

PS: this plugin suggestion was made many times before...
eg: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile

This post was edited on 10-26-2004 at 02:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-26-2004 02:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: