What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Installer Suggestion

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Installer Suggestion
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. Installer Suggestion
On the Installer, why do you have it so that you can't press anything for about 10 seconds on the sponsor agreement, this way, people would probably read through what it says. Do it so that you can't exit it at all, and on it have a little timer, and then people will read through it partially, maybe understand what it is, and not complain about the sponsor program as much, its purely up to Patchou though, if he please's he can keep it as it is, this is merely a suggestion, and i realise that it probably won't be used.

traxor.
10-27-2004 12:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mr.T

i pity the fool

RE: Installer Suggestion
or how about people actually read what there installing :D
10-27-2004 12:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Installer Suggestion
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.T

Can you please just stop spamming, its completely irrelevant! The idea was for the better of the public so that they can understand it, if they read the agreement; then we wouldn't be getting all of this trouble would we, thats why I posted my idea.

Here is my poor attempt:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=329099]

.jpg File Attachment: poorattempt.jpg (189.34 KB)
This file has been downloaded 285 time(s).
10-27-2004 12:14 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Installer Suggestion
This idea could work, but more than likely people will think the installer is screwed...more like 5 seconds with a visible countdown and explanation...
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.T

Or how about you offer practical help for a practical world?
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-27-2004 12:17 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
or how about having the i accept and i refuse at the bottom of a scroll box with the agreement so people have to scroll throught the agreement to get to the next stage
10-27-2004 12:34 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
or how about having the i accept and i refuse at the bottom of a scroll box with the agreement so people have to scroll throught the agreement to get to the next stage

people still aren't gonna read it, they will just scroll to the bottom
10-27-2004 12:53 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Installer Suggestion
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery

people still aren't gonna read it, they will just scroll to the bottom

Agreed, I admit that in some installations I do go crazy, but when I do this, it is pretty much only when I have installed the program before, and understand all of the agreements etc. But people should always read this, my idea will make people read this, leejeffery's will make people scroll down it as fast as they can.
10-27-2004 01:10 PM
Nemesis

Your mind says I'm here... am I?

37 / Male / –
I recently saw something on an install, can't remember which now, that Patchou could possibly use...

Normally you have to check a button or something similar to make the next box become active on an install, or in Plus!'s case you have to choose whether or not to install the sponsor.

Well, what if you had to scroll to the bottom of the sponsor text agreement, and then click on one of the options before the next box becomes active? The button wouldn't become active if only one of these things was done, but it would make more people read the agreement and the install in general.

There would obviously have to be a section of text explaining what's going on and what you have to do to continue the explanation for those that would think the program is faulty.
[Image: signem.png]
10-27-2004 03:26 PM
CurtisMinBC

Hey there,

I sent this PM to Patchou a week ago and am awaiting a reply regarding the whole sponsor situation:

quote:
Hi there,

I was wondering if you would be willing to create an option so that if users do not choose to install the sponsor software that MSGPlus "remembers" this so that the user does not have to continually choose not to install the software when upgrading to newer versions.

I am sure there are other users like myself that have multiple people on their computer and if someone does not know about the sponsor software and they just click next it wil be installed when it is not wanted.

Just my $0.02, keep up the good work.

RGDS & TIA

Curtis M.
10-27-2004 03:48 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Sorry, I don't have the time toread my PMs these days :). As for changing the sponsor agreement, I alreadyreplied toa similar thread yesterday: I've already made extensive changes in version 3.25, my salary is going down and, more than anything, I don't see any people complaining with the latest changes. I'm not about to start another round of tests and tries when the installer looks what it looks now...
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-27-2004 05:43 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: