What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Bug.. Event Log And WM

Bug.. Event Log And WM
Author: Message:
madhattr999

O.P. Bug.. Event Log And WM
I still seem to have the problem of Windows Messenger event logs not working unless I load windows messenger prior to loading MSN messenger..  I was wondering if this problem is eventually gonna be fixed or whether its gonna be like this forever?

People might just say "just load windows messenger first!" but its a real pain in the butt and i'll tell u why..

i only use windows messenger like once a week.. i use msn messenger every minute im on the computer.. so obviously msn messenger is gonna be the messenger that starts up when the computer starts.. then if for some reason i wanna use windows messenger (because I wanna use another account just to see who's online when and not be seen)... but then i have to shut off msn.. (go offline)... turn on windows messenger (go online).. but since i have my passport on for Msn and windows uses the passport for both.. i have to sign back out of windows messenger (go offline).. then sign in to my other email (go online).. then turn msn back on and it will auto sign in to my correct account on msn.. (go online).. so ppl see me sign in and out like 3 or 4 times.. not to mention its just a pain in the butt to do all that..

Not that im trying to rant or complain.. im just saying that it IS a big issue.. not some simple thing that takes another 5 seconds to get around.. real pain in the butt bug :D

So anywayss... was just wondering if there are plans to fix this or if theres some microsoft software reason why its not possible to fix? Just wondering.. thx
10-23-2004 05:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Bug.. Event Log And WM
quote:
Originally posted by madhattr999
then if for some reason i wanna use windows messenger (because I wanna use another account just to see who's online when and not be seen)
For that there are polygamy patches (although they are illegal, almost everybody uses them :P)...

A polygamy patch allows you to start up more then one MSN Messenger, so you don't have to use Windows Messenger anymore for that and have this issue...

If you don't want to use a hard patch (which patches your msn messenger on your hard disk) you can also use a soft patch. This is actually also a patch, but it patches msn messenger in memory (so nothing is physically changed on your harddisk) and thus is (more) "legal". Such a soft patch, or also called, a loader, is JnrzLoader.
To use it you start JnrzLoader instead of MSN Messenger, and it will start up MSN Messenger for you and then quits itself. If you want another instance of MSN Messenger, then just start Jnrzloader again, etc...

(PS: Jnrzloader also enables you to signin appearing offline)

More detailed info about polygamy, including download links for JnrzLoader and/or a hard patch can be found here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22...d=216042#pid216042

This post was edited on 10-25-2004 at 04:57 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-25-2004 04:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
madhattr999

O.P. RE: Bug.. Event Log And WM
ya.. thx.. but a bug fix would still be nice.. (again) unless theres some weird microsoft api reason or some hard programming issue that makes it hard to fix..
10-25-2004 09:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
There is nothing to fix...

If you mean fixing the fact that Windows Messenger must be started up before MSN Messenger, then that's a programming limitation.

If you can live with that, then you could use a polygamy patch so you don't need to startup Windows Messenger at all, but only MSN Messenger... ;)
10-26-2004 05:28 PM
madhattr999

O.P. RE: Bug.. Event Log And WM
well i just wondered what makes it a "programming limitation" as opposed to a "bug" that we are "working around"..
11-02-2004 02:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is a programming limitation because of the hooking techniques used and/or the way Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger and Plus! interract with eachother (or something like that). It is not a bug...
11-02-2004 11:53 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: