What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » log chats enabled by default

Poll: chat logging enabled or disabled by default
chat logging enabled by default
chat logging disabled by default
ask the user on install or after install
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
log chats enabled by default
Author: Message:
madhattr999

O.P. log chats enabled by default
I think when you install plus.. the chat logging feature should be disabled by default.. I send plus to lots of people and they always find out later or i have to tell them to turn off chat logging when they install it..

most of the ppl i talk to are on family computers.. not their own computer (i dunno.. maybe thats just me tho)..

so anyway.. i think this option should be off by default.. but then again.. maybe its on because patchou doesnt think it will get used if its not on by default because people wont see the simplicity of the logs?

if patchou doesnt want to set it to off by default, maybe ask the user if he wants to have the option on after he installs it? same as microsoft asks you if you want to use the message archive the first time you use msn..

anyway.. would save people the trouble of finding out too late that their conversations are being saved somewhere they wouldnt normally look..

agree? disagree?
11-03-2004 03:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Derwan

51 / Male / –
RE: log chats enabled by default
Considering MSN Messenger now has logging facilities itself, the Plus! logging is only relevant if people prefer its logging system over MSN's (e.g. they want logs to be encrypted or prefer text files over xml).  There is no need for Plus! logging to be enabled by default.
11-03-2004 11:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
xsRush

Australian Member

45 / Male / –
I voted for chat logging disabled by default, just because i don't use the chat logging, an also it makes a log folder even before i pick not to use the logging.

I really don't mind if it's on or off, it's not hard for me to turn it on/off an delete the folder.
Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 8.0.0566
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145
Plugin's: StuffPlug-NG, File Transfer Plus.
11-04-2004 06:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
if MSN messenger's chat logging is on by default, what's wrong with having plus!'s chat logging on by default?
Cow juice...
11-04-2004 06:16 AM
xsRush

Australian Member

45 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
if MSN messenger's chat logging is on by default, what's wrong with having plus!'s chat logging on by default?
MSN Messenger's chat logging is not on by default, after your 1st chat it asks you if you would like to turn it on. (if i remember right)
Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 8.0.0566
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145
Plugin's: StuffPlug-NG, File Transfer Plus.
11-04-2004 06:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by xsRush
MSN Messenger's chat logging is not on by default, after your 1st chat it asks you if you would like to turn it on. (if i remember right)
now that you mention it, i think you're right.... :dodgy:
Cow juice...
11-04-2004 06:25 AM
madhattr999

O.P. RE: log chats enabled by default
yup he is right. it asks u "do you want to use message archiving" after u close ur first chat window..

i think the same should be for plus.. or disabled by default and let the user find the option on his own..

or even.... maybe plus could disable the msn-logging and the ask dialog could affect plus-logging instead of msn logging
11-04-2004 03:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: