What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Comparing Belgium ADSL/Cable ISP's

[split] Comparing Belgium ADSL/Cable ISP's
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: This sucks... :'-(
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
they're talking about a quota for bandwidth. This is the same for Belgium. For ADSL and cable we get around 10gb per month. If we exceed this you have to pay 5 euros for 5 extra gb (don't know for Telenet).
depends on your ISP and ADSL-plan though...

3 different ISP's, first two ADSL, third Cable:
[Image: compare_go_top_NL.gif]

Also note that for "ADSL Go" from tiscali you pay per MB extra, not per (5) GB, which makes a huge difference!

Not to mention, I have "ADSL Go" (still the best on price/quality on the Belgium market, and they always want to be the cheapest so whenever some other ISP upgrades their system or lowers the price, Tiscali follows) :D

This post was edited on 11-08-2004 at 06:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2004 05:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: This sucks... :'-(
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
depends on your ISP and ADSL-plan though... eg: I pay monthly €39,95: I have 15GB/month, 3,3Mbps speed and only pay €0,9 per extra GB exceeding this. Long live Tiscali ("ADSL Go", the name of this plan, is still the cheapest formula for Belgium)

(in Belgium/Netherlands, compared to rest of world, ADSL is very cheap)
  • €33,5/month
  • 10gb/month
  • 3,3 Mbps speed (will soon be 4 Mbps for ADSL Belgacom:))
  • €1/gb extra
11-08-2004 06:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Not to mention, I have "ADSL Go" (still the best on price/quality on the Belgium market)
errr your image compares to the worst pack of telenet... and the best one isn't that expensive anymore, and has far better stuff.
oh and, btw, the bandwidth limit is 12.5 gb.
quote:
Also note that for "ADSL Go" from tiscali you pay per MB extra, not per (5) GB, which makes a huge difference!
1 euro, for god sake. ¬_¬
11-08-2004 06:09 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
errr your image compares to the worst pack of telenet... and the best one isn't that expensive anymore, and has far better stuff.
oh and, btw, the bandwidth limit is 12.5 gb.

he was talking about ADSL :rolleyes:.

* Kryptonate slaps Millenium_edition around a bit with a large trout.

Telenet is better, true, but I can't take it. I live in an appartement and the cable is too old. If we want Telenet the entire appartement has to go to Telenet :/.

quote:

the €5/5gb is for when we buy an extra volumepack, it's not something we get automatically.

This post was edited on 11-08-2004 at 06:17 PM by Kryptonate.
11-08-2004 06:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
the €5/5gb is for when we buy an extra volumepack, it's not something we get automatically.
hence I put the 5 between parenthesis. You'll pay €1 extra if you exceed your volume with 1GB, correct? Thus even if you exceed with 10MB you still have to pay for the full GB, which can make a huge difference if you're a lot on the net (see below).

quote:
The image compares packets with the same services/contents. Of course each ISP has his own lower/higher graded packages, but they will of course cost less/more. You can't go comparing a €10 ADSL packet from ISP A with a €50 Cable packet from ISP B and say that ISP A sucks... (and then to forget to mention that Cable also means a, one-time though, extra installation cost of around €100)

quote:
1 euro, for god sake. ¬_¬
yeah, but it can make a huge difference though:

Say you exceed with 300 MB, for the others that makes 1€ extra (and you've wasted 700MB), with Tiscali this would only be an extra of €0,27.... The difference is even bigger if you take in account that Tiscali gives you 15GB/month instead of 10GB/month.

eg: say you have 16,3 GB per month, for the others this makes: +€7, for Tiscali +€1,17 (while the monthly price of Tiscali is also cheaper).

This post was edited on 11-08-2004 at 06:32 PM by CookieRevised.
11-08-2004 06:18 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
hence I put the 5 between parenthesis. You'll pay €1 extra if you exceed your volume with 1GB, correct? Thus even if you exceed with 10MB you still have to pay for the full GB.

no we don't. If we exceed our volume we're just put on smallband, that's all. If we want normal bandwidthspeed for the rest of the month we can buy a volumepack for €5 so we get 5gb extra.
11-08-2004 06:31 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
no we don't. If we exceed our volume we're just put on smallband, that's all. If we want normal bandwidthspeed for the rest of the month we can buy a volumepack for €5 so we get 5gb extra.
oh ic... But if you would know you're gonna exceed (so you can buy your extra datavolume packet) the comparisson of me (+€7 vs. +€1.17) in my previous post is valid, no?

EDIT: now that I think about it, if you need to pay in front for extra datavolume, you'll loose money when you don't use it. hmmmm. This only make me want to stay with Tiscali even more.

PS: the price for Belgacom's "ADSL Go" is still listed as €39,95:
http://www.belgacom.be/private/nl/jsp/dynamic/pro...hbs_adsl_res_price

M_E, well anyways, don't be fooled though, cable is still much more expensive though and you don't get much extra. Compare the things you get with "ExpressNet Plus" with the ADSL packets from Tiscali and Belgacom (but make a fair comparisson! This includes extra activation costs, special modem, download/upload limits, etc...)
http://www.telenet.be/nl/producten/internet/tarieven/index.php
http://www.telenet.be/nl/producten/internet/telen...detail_tabel.php#7
also:
http://www.belgacom.be/private/hbsres/jsp/static/...omp_tntcomfort.jsp

This post was edited on 11-08-2004 at 06:56 PM by CookieRevised.
11-08-2004 06:38 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
EDIT: now that I think about it, if you need to pay in front for extra datavolume, you'll loose money when you don't use it. hmmmm. This only make me want to stay with Tiscali even more.

you can buy one whenever you feel like it. You can do it when you're on smallband already and there's like 10 days still to go before the next month or so and you know you're gonna download some things when it comes in handy.

quote:
oh ic... But if you would know you're gonna exceed (so you can buy your extra datavolume packet) the comparisson of me (+€7 vs. +€1.17) in my previous post is valid, no?
no, it doesn't. I pay €5 if I want to be on normal speed when I exceeded the 10gb limit. If I download 10,1gb in a month and I don't buy a volumepack I don't have to pay more.
11-08-2004 06:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
No, but you wont be able to download at full speed anymore (only at 64 Kbps). So taken in account the speed you get (full ADSL speed), the comparisson is valid. Oherwise you'll be forced to bring in the prices of much lighter packets or even the normal (free) modem connection of Tiscali, which makes it still cheaper.

This post was edited on 11-08-2004 at 07:08 PM by CookieRevised.
11-08-2004 07:00 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: