What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Yasser Arafat dead

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Yasser Arafat dead
Author: Message:
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
RE: Yasser Arafat dead
quote:
Originally posted by sock
I personally think what really makes this conflict so bad, is religion. Religion is a regressive element. Religion makes many of our people (settlers and those who support them) bring the nation into war just for some land. They are destroying the foundations of this country. Religion also makes many of the Palestinians turn to extreme violence, and truly believe it would help their cause

I dont agree with you on this one.... Im an atheist...but religion is a good thing... Islam, jewish faith, catholicism, etc....

It's people's demagogy (sp?) that causes arab people to turn into terrorists...the coran doesnt say "Go out and blow yourself up", neither the torah gives out specific coordinates where the state of israel should be...
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
11-12-2004 02:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
At least he defended the UNO reolutions, which the Israeli  government did not. But well, both parts were as bad and one can really say one was better than the other easily. Simon Peres and Isaac Rabin did also get the Nobel Price at the same time.

Time will tell what this death means to the Near East Conflict.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Omar
It's people's demagogy (sp?) that causes arab people to turn into terrorists...the coran doesnt say "Go out and blow yourself up", neither the torah gives out specific coordinates where the state of israel should be...

And what's the Islamic Yihad other than a war founded in a fundamentalist view of religion?

(of course, not only Islamists can be fundamental, look at the Northern Ireland conflict)

This post was edited on 11-12-2004 at 03:12 PM by KeyStorm.
11-12-2004 03:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
* Sunshine wonders why religion makes ppl want a certain piece of land...

I also noticed religions are often the cause of wars (recent happenings in the Netherlands prooves that once more)..if ppl would stop offending other ppls religion maybe this word would be a better place..leave each in his/her own value ;)
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-12-2004 03:17 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
I guess it's part of the human mankind to somehow reject other's points of view while defending the own ones. We've seen this in the past and we see it now. Many Northamericans may hate the Islam, as well as Catholics may hate Protestants in Ireland (as I just said). But this is bound to the supremacy of the religions in history and how they obligated others to be converted (Spanish Catholic Kings, f.i.).

But there are always other examples, like Germany where a half is Catholic and the other half is Protestant and the coexistence is peacefull between them. Although there still exists implicit or explicit anti-semitism, but it has luckily gone down dramatically in the last half century.

In all, mankind should learn to respect other's religions, like Buddhism does from its principles. It would make the world a more peaceful place to live.
11-12-2004 03:31 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by sock
I personally think what really makes this conflict so bad, is religion. Religion is a regressive element. Religion makes many of our people (settlers and those who support them) bring the nation into war just for some land. They are destroying the foundations of this country. Religion also makes many of the Palestinians turn to extreme violence, and truly believe it would help their cause.

I agree completely, religion causes many different outputs, and these religions also put a stereotypical view on that person, and make them have views at what is right and wrong. No offence to any people that are at one with their religion out there, but I think that religion is a load of rubbish, everything that is said in the bible, contradict's itself at another point, all of the different Gods that there supposedly are, they just make a mess out of all of the other religions, which cause conflict between the two.

Religion also causes racism and things, many people blame the muslim's for the terrorist attacks. Surely, its a select few of the Muslim religion that take part in these acts of terror, putting shame to all the other muslim's around. People think that it is only these, surely there are many more, as far as I know, the Irish Republic Army are Catholic, do I get discriminated because of them.

I think that all of this is just a mess.
11-12-2004 04:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
i don't see how its going to affect me much, he led a good life i suppose, he did some wrong things but made up for it with his leadership and stuff.

Meh politics and government :blah:
11-12-2004 04:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Religion can be a great thing, i myself am a hindu happy diwali. And i find it extremely hard to believe most of the stories of creating in Hinduism, however if you take the philosophy behind most religions you will find they are beautiful things.

For example, in Islam there is something called Zakat, Muslims give some of their disposable income to thier local Islamic community (in some Islamic countries it is tax), typically 2.5%. And if someone in the community loses their job or falls upon hard times, the community will help him/her out, get them back on their feet, pay their bills while they help themselves.

Now isnt that a really nice thing.
If people stopped thinking in their own self obsessed world just for one minute, the world would be a lot happier place.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-12-2004 04:54 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Note: all religions origined from one..it's because some higher placed religious ppl differed in how it should be explained/interpreted that it got split up..so no matter what name your god has it all boils down to the same thing.

Same goes for paganism (believing in multiple gods)..they just gave their gods different names...

As for me, i think there exists a higher something but it isn't necessarily a person (in the end it's you making things happen..faith/destiny brings ppl together it's what you do with it that matters)..also i respect ppl of other beliefs and will never attack em on it and expect them to do the same..afterall we're all human (with the same feelings).

Treat others as you like to be treated yourself...
also note: who does bad will receive bad back doubled.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-12-2004 05:08 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Religion can be a great thing, i myself am a hindu happy diwali. And i find it extremely hard to believe most of the stories of creating in Hinduism, however if you take the philosophy behind most religions you will find they are beautiful things.

For example, in Islam there is something called Zakat, Muslims give some of their disposable income to thier local Islamic community (in some Islamic countries it is tax), typically 2.5%. And if someone in the community loses their job or falls upon hard times, the community will help him/her out, get them back on their feet, pay their bills while they help themselves.

Now isnt that a really nice thing.
If people stopped thinking in their own self obsessed world just for one minute, the world would be a lot happier place.

Religion is indeed a great things at some points in our lifetime, happy diwali by the way... I myself am A roman catholic, and I go to church every week, but i've been thinking about it, and it really is hard to grasp the concept, we can't be ensured about the creation and so on, so why do we drag ourselves to watch a man preach about something that he's preached about every year, we've heard it all before! Now i'm not offending my religion or anything, because that would just be stupid, all I need to see is one bit of proof, that God is real, and that proof is definitely NOT the bible. How do we know that it all isn't just one big set of stories, in 2000 years, people might think that Harry Potter is a prophet, for all we know, Jesus could be an ancient Harry Potter, we can't be sure. Most of the stories in the bible have meanings and some are quite beautiful yes.

I think that what the muslims do in Islam is a type of great generosity to their neighbours.

In the end, religion all links up, but contradiction is before us constantly in every different religions 'bible'.
11-12-2004 05:09 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
i'm on the palestinian side...but this death will only bring more strength to the israelites(is this the word?)...arafat always maintained some political peace...now who's going to follow him? evbdy knows irsael has a big firepower...if they want they'll crush all of it if they see it's totally uncoordenate:S
11-12-2004 05:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: