What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Security not is Security....

Security not is Security....
Author: Message:
danyolaf

O.P. Dodgy  Security not is Security....
Hello, my english is not good, please patience...

I install Messenger Plus! and block this utility with password (i set up previusly all option, include the directory of chat logs).
This is for logs all chat from my users (yep, the messenger in work is to work). But from the option [Plus!] --> Open History Chat log, the Log directory is found and the user can be delete any file.

Exist one or more options to block this???

Thanks...
11-22-2004 10:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Security not is Security....
I can't understand what you're asking, sorry... Try to be more clear or post in your native language (still, be very detailed) and maybe someone on this forum can translate it...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-22-2004 11:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Caboose

35 / Male / –
I think what he means is he enabled the Chat logging feature and put a password for the logs. When he goes to Plus! > Open Log Files, it opens the folder that the logs are contained in, and anyone can delete the logs, which he is worried about since he is using it at work.

I'm not sure what to do about it though, other then to disable logging *-)

This post was edited on 11-22-2004 at 11:10 PM by Caboose.
11-22-2004 11:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
danyolaf

O.P. RE: Security not is Security....
Ok, intentare ser lo mas neutro posible.

Instale Messenger Plus!  y luego de setear todas las opciones (incluido los directorios de registros de chat) utilice la opcion de administrador y le asigne una password. Es decir, de ahora en mas, para ingresar a cambiar alguna opcion deberian utilizar la password de administrador. Con esto quiero que nadie sepa donde esta el directorio donde guardo los registros de chat. Sin embargo, desde el menu Plus! en la opcion "Abrir historial de conversaciones..." se puede ingresar a dicho directorio y borrar indiscriminadamente cualquier registro de chat.

żExiste alguna forma de eliminar esa opcion del menu? żExiste alguna manera de que el menu "Plus!" no aparesca o quede invisible?

Saludos y Gracias.
quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
I think what he means is he enabled the Chat logging feature and put a password for the logs. When he goes to Plus! > Open Log Files, it opens the folder that the logs are contained in, and anyone can delete the logs, which he is worried about since he is using it at work.

I'm not sure what to do about it though, other then to disable logging *-)

This it!!! This is my problem... Not it possible block to user to Open Log Files option.

In other words (this is a title of my post) that is the idea of admin password and directory for chat logs (yep, the version 5 not it log chat, but the version 6 yes). I need log chat without it is seen.

Thanks.
11-22-2004 11:12 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
You could make the folder in wich you store the logs hidden.
To do that, rightclick the folder and choose properties..on the General tab you can set it to "hidden" ;)

Also you can lock MSN messenger when you leave your comp: plus > preferences > privacy protection > messenger lock (tab)

This post was edited on 11-22-2004 at 11:33 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-22-2004 11:29 PM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
That's a good start, but it won't stop the folder from being completely hidden. If you don't mind spending a bit of money, I suggest Hide Folders XP (for Windows XP) or Hide Folders (for Windows 95/98/ME)

[EDIT]: Yeah, you can also lock Messenger... I never thought of that :P

This post was edited on 11-22-2004 at 11:36 PM by Caboose.
11-22-2004 11:35 PM
danyolaf

O.P. Grin  RE: RE: Security not is Security....
quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
That's a good start, but it won't stop the folder from being completely hidden. If you don't mind spending a bit of money, I suggest Hide Folders XP (for Windows XP) or Hide Folders (for Windows 95/98/ME)

[EDIT]: Yeah, you can also lock Messenger... I never thought of that :P

(H) try again... you know this??

Obvius, this is a example (but it running...)

drwx-wx-wx    2 user1  general      4096 nov 17 17:03 user1
drwx-wx-wx    2 user2  general      4096 nov 19 19:28 user2

/home/msnlogs

:D

extract of /etc/samba/smb.conf

[msnlogs]
comment = msn register logs
path = /home/msnlogs
browseable = no
read only = no
guest ok = yes
hide dot files = yes
follow symlinks = no

Obvius "browseable = no" is the equivalent to share one folder with the $ simbol (hide this share but it is open with relative path)

This shared it not visible, but it is read/write and it is open if know the relative path (START --> Ejecting --> \\PC\hideshare for example).

The user know the option "hide files with attribute of system/hiden). The register log not is saved in the same PC (it saved in one folder hidden in another PC, but the result is the same, Plus! -->Open register log, and open the folder :'( )

Another idea????

This post was edited on 11-23-2004 at 12:03 AM by danyolaf.
11-22-2004 11:46 PM
danyolaf

O.P. RE: RE: Security not is Security....
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
You could make the folder in wich you store the logs hidden.
To do that, rightclick the folder and choose properties..on the General tab you can set it to "hidden" ;)

Also you can lock MSN messenger when you leave your comp: plus > preferences > privacy protection > messenger lock (tab)

Yep, but not WORK!!!! :'(

Please, try your solution and try to open log chat with the Plus! option "Open History Log...", and magic... :D, you are in the directory of the log (what??? not it invisible???) yeppp, it to easy...
11-22-2004 11:51 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
The only thing you can do is protect the directory with Windows andthe NTFS system. For that to work, you'll need to be sure that you lock your station (or log-off) when you don't use it though. Deleting files is part of the operating system, Messenger Plus! cannot prevent it.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-23-2004 01:18 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
What about write locking the files, so that whenever MSN is open, MSN write locks all the files. That way no one can use them. An option to turn this off would be good, since some users wouldn't like this.
[Image: 7.png]
11-23-2004 01:40 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: