What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » buying a laptop

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
buying a laptop
Author: Message:
scapeg0at

– / Male / –
RE: RE: buying a laptop
quote:
Originally posted by DureX
hmm maybe get a faster computer as i mean in 1.5 g hz is crap.. At least get 2.0 or so.. It depends what u use it for also :-/

it wont be good for games...

Pentium M 2.0GHz isn't on the market yet. He would be waiting a long time!!! :tongue:
[Image: sunset8pc.jpg][Image: sunset8pc.jpg]
11-21-2004 04:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
RE: buying a laptop
Pentium M?? Whats a pentium M.. Sorry but i am n00b
i thought he was talking about Pentium 4
11-21-2004 07:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Well Choli, I'd go ahead and buy it if you like it :)

Just a note - The Pentium M's, Centrino's and G3/4/5 processors have a lower Ghz rating, but may perform at a higher speed.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-21-2004 07:38 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
wait im confused.. how can they have lower ghz and higher speed? Isnt ghz the main speed next to ram?
11-21-2004 07:41 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
wait im confused.. how can they have lower ghz and higher speed? Isnt ghz the main speed next to ram?

It's prety hard to explain, but let me TRY to put it this way (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

There are two guys, Bob and John.
Bob has an IQ of 120
John has an IQ of 140

Bob has a lower IQ, but can still do mental things faster than John.

Another example is that a Apple Powerbook with a 1.5 Ghz processor is faster than a Pentium 4  2.0 Ghz processor
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-21-2004 07:47 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
Well I'm using a laptop with roughtly the same specs (its a Toshiba as well) and I can that I have had any trouble with mine. I suppose it depends what you want to do with it though. I'm only suppose to be using it for university stuff (so someone explain why I have webpage creator,ringtone/picturemaker for mobile etc. on it). If you've seen something else similar, I go for it.
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7275 days, 10 hours, 8 minutes, 59 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
11-21-2004 08:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
scapeg0at

– / Male / –
RE: RE: buying a laptop
quote:
Pentium M?? Whats a pentium M.. Sorry but i am n00b
i thought he was talking about Pentium 4

Pentium M is designed to be used for laptops and increase battery life. The term "Centrino" is used when there is both a Pentium M processor and WiFi on board.
11-21-2004 10:05 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: buying a laptop
quote:
Originally posted by scapeg0at
"Centrino" is used when there is both a Pentium M processor and WiFi on board.
that isn't right.
Pentium M comes from Mobile, and those are a special-dessigned processors that cosume less power therefore they're used in laptops. Centrino is a Mobile processor much more optimized for laptops: they require less power and so the battery life increases.

The wifi has nothing to do with processors.

Durex: The speed of the processor isn't the only thing that counts when you use a computer and think: "oh! it's fast/slow".
Imagine a car: you can have an engine that spins at 7000 rpm. Does that mean that that car is faster than another whose engine can only spin at 5500 rpm? No. Well, with processors something similar happens (and it's quite more difficult to explain). A computer with a 3 GHz processor isn't twice faster than one with a 1.5 GHz. A lot of more factors count: RAM, HD, OS, DMA, main board, etc....
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-21-2004 11:10 PM
scapeg0at

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
that isn't right.
Pentium M comes from Mobile, and those are a special-dessigned processors that cosume less power therefore they're used in laptops. Centrino is a Mobile processor much more optimized for laptops: they require less power and so the battery life increases.

I left an exclusion about Centrino in my post, it also contains the accompanying chipset and all components are under the Intel brand. So, Centrino describes a laptop which contains a Pentium M processor, Intel chipset (855) and Intel Pro/Wi Fi. This can all be found using google. Centrino is not a processor, Centrino only exists as a label/abbreviation and a selling point. You said yourself Pentium M is Mobile, which means for laptops and would mean the same processor is called Pentium M and Centrino :undecided:. Pentium M is one of the components of Centrino.
11-22-2004 11:55 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
that isn't right.

I left an exclusion about Centrino in my post, it also contains the accompanying chipset and all components are under the Intel brand. So, Centrino describes a laptop which contains a Pentium M processor, Intel chipset (855) and Intel Pro/Wi Fi. This can all be found using google. Centrino is not a processor, Centrino only exists as a label/abbreviation and a selling point. You said yourself Pentium M is Mobile, which means for laptops and would mean the same processor is called Pentium M and Centrino :undecided:. Pentium M is one of the components of Centrino.
You're both right....

"Centrino" is a type of overall mobile technology, not a type of architecture of the processor. Although Centrino notebooks have improved Pentium M's over the non-Centrino notebooks, so there is a direct relationship there. Centrino notebooks indeed also include fully integrated wireless LAN+ capability (although, as Choli said WiFi has nothing todo with the processor itself), together with improved overall technology so that performance is better, battery life is larger and the notebooks are lighter.

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/centrino/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/pentiumm/index.htm

;)

This post was edited on 11-22-2004 at 05:30 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-22-2004 05:25 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: