What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Lan.... but online?

Lan.... but online?
Author: Message:
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Lan.... but online?
I'm not sure if this is possible but i really need it so im gonna ask anyways...

Is there anyway to make your computer think it's connected via LAN to another computer but have it connected over the internet?

For an example on gamecubes or xboxes you could play some LAN-only games online making the machines think they are connected via LAN ... now i know of a program that does this gor GC (warppipe) but it doesnt seem to work without a gc stuck to the computer :p

any ideas on how i could manage this?
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
11-22-2004 06:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: Lan.... but online?
quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
I'm not sure if this is possible but i really need it so im gonna ask anyways...

Is there anyway to make your computer think it's connected via LAN to another computer but have it connected over the internet?

For an example on gamecubes or xboxes you could play some LAN-only games online making the machines think they are connected via LAN ... now i know of a program that does this gor GC (warppipe) but it doesnt seem to work without a gc stuck to the computer :p

any ideas on how i could manage this?

This wouldn't be possible is all the program is going is telling the Xbox/Gamecube that it's another Xbox/GameCube, accept the data the system gives it, then forwarding it to the other Xbox's and GameCube's you're playing with on the tunnel program.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-22-2004 06:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Maniac

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Lan.... but online?
I know, that's what i'm saying, i'm asking if there is one that would forward messages between computers only... i dunno i sounds like it's something that would exist...

(i just noticed the left part of ur sig was a wheel... i kept thinking it looked like samus's arm.... :rolleyes:
11-22-2004 06:26 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Yes it could be done, but it involves hacking a few of the games files, but when games are played on a LAN (computers not consoles) they usually keep a stable and high bandwidth to every other computer connected. This is to reduce LAG...however if your game thinks it's on a LAN when it is in fact on the internet it will experience a lot of LAG, unless your internet connection was above 5mbps. So it's not really a good\legal idea...
I did here once I believe someone tweaked how windows read and understood network connections to do this, but even if someone could find out how you'd still have the same amount of LAG...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
11-22-2004 06:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
I've just done an extensive Google search for a program like this... Seems these things are very rear. :P Only found a LAN emulator specifically designed for Warcraft 3. 8-)

In regards to Anibus' message... I don't see why a game would use more network bandwidth on a LAN than on the Internet... If the necessary data can be sent at a rate of 5-8 KB/s (and it usually can), then I don't see why they would want to overload people's home networks just because they were running a LAN game. Think about it... a 10 MBit HUB wouldn't even be able to support 3 gamers at a time if this were the case (the game requiring 4 mbit). Anyway, I'll be sure to test it next time I play a LAN game and compare it to playing the same game online...
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
11-22-2004 11:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Maniac

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Lan.... but online?
Hmm... well isn't there SOME way to set up a normal lan connection but instead of it looking down the lan wire to go through some ip address or something? ... comon someone has to have some trick for this... :p
11-23-2004 08:02 AM
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Create a vpn? :)
11-23-2004 09:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »