What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Setting up wire/Wireless Network

Setting up wire/Wireless Network
Author: Message:
chris
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Setting up wire/Wireless Network
Okay well i am going to be setting up a network at my house later tonight  and i have 1.5Mbs DSL and they gave me an Actiontec™ GT701-wg DSL/Modem and i figured out how to set it up onto my computer with the ethernet connection and i am online with that right now and right now i just want to make sure a couple things
1.  It says that it supporst 802.11b(supports up to 11Mbps) And 802.11g(Supports up to 54Mbps) so i think i will do the 802.11g but first the only thing that matters if i do that is that if i get a wireless adapter that is 802.11g right? is there anythign else i need to know?
2. Am I supost to already have a computer hooked up to the Modem/Router like i do now or do i need 2 wireless adapters?
3. last but not least it says it supports
  • 64-bit WEP
  • 128-bit WEP
  • 256-bit WEP
  • WEP+802.1x
  • WPA
  • Wireless Mac Authentication
what one is the best and most secure encryption?
Im just checkng because i cant find my booklet and i dunno if thats the whole book on the website

This post was edited on 11-23-2004 at 05:03 AM by chris.
11-23-2004 05:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Setting up wire/Wireless Network
Ok...
You need a 802.11g adapter to start off with.
Just one ;).
The most secure encryption would be 256-bit WEP and you should limit access to the MAC address of the adapter :).

This post was edited on 11-23-2004 at 05:52 AM by Underlord.
11-23-2004 05:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
JDawg_0789

35 / Male / –
RE: Setting up wire/Wireless Network
If you're needing help with setting up a wireless network on an 802.11g, I can help you with that, as I just set mine up last week and it works perfectly. Underlord is correct, you can have as many computers wired/wireless to the router, it just cannot be over how many ports the router supports.  I'd also go with something that supports 256 bit encryption and MAC limiting. After you get them set up, you will need to set up the gateway, DNS servers, and IP addresses for the computers to be on the network...if you need help, you can contact me on the msgplus IRC (irc.msgplus.net), or email me at Josh.JDawg0789@gmail.com
12-02-2004 03:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: