What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » A Version for 64bit XP

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
A Version for 64bit XP
Author: Message:
Milkman00

O.P. A Version for 64bit XP
I was wondering if you'd thought about making a version of msgplus! which is still compatible with messenger in WinXp 64bit. The current version installs,but doesnt work with xp64bit.  Im sure this is most likley something in your code doing an error check which allowing it not to work,but...i dunno the code so...
11-24-2004 06:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: A Version for 64bit XP
well this is a similar question to when people ask why messenger plus is not for apple macs and it has the same answer

afaik the creator of Plus! (Patchou) does not have access to a 64bit version of XP
11-24-2004 06:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Maybe in an upcoming release 64bit compat. will be added
11-24-2004 06:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
It must have something to do with plus! doing a version check because Windows XP 64-bit should be fully compatible with 99% of programs because it's basically the same as Windows XP: Home or Pro, but with some extra code to take advantage of the power of a 64-bit processor.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-24-2004 07:41 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
It's not about a version check, that's a sure thing.. however, Plus! does pretty low-level stuff and I can totally understand why it wouldn't work in 64bits (and I'm already releived toknow it doesn't crash).

The day I'll have a 64bits processor, I'll make Plus! compatible with it :).

Note to Blade: a 64 bits OS is a LOT more than just the same 32 bits OS witha couple of modifications. Most program work only at a level where 32 bits and 64 bits are not a concern, however, for a program like Plus!, it is :).

This post was edited on 11-24-2004 at 08:04 PM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-24-2004 07:59 PM
Milkman00

O.P. RE: A Version for 64bit XP
How sure are you about that Patchou? unless you try letting a 64bit Xp user test it without a version check? Most programs from the normal Xp work without trouble in 64bit Xp because they have thing which does an emulation (can't remember what its called and i've gotta go so i can't go reread the stuff)
but more info is here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
also you can get your 64bit copy there.
11-25-2004 01:23 AM
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Milkman00
How sure are you about that Patchou? unless you try letting a 64bit Xp user test it without a version check? Most programs from the normal Xp work without trouble in 64bit Xp because they have thing which does an emulation (can't remember what its called and i've gotta go so i can't go reread the stuff)
but more info is here
uh... patchou programed it... of course he knows!
Cow juice...
11-25-2004 02:14 AM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Milkman00
but more info is here

Why would he want to buy 64-bit windows if he has no 64-bit processor?

Anyways, like gnownoskcid said - of course Patchou knows what's wrong with plus! & 64bw
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-25-2004 02:33 AM
Milkman00

O.P. RE: A Version for 64bit XP
Now that ive got more time to write a post...

gnownoskcid - He'll have his speculations of course,but until he gets a chance to do any testing with such a system he won't know for sure..and of course he'll have a much better way to make speculations knowing the code. Another speculation I have is that if msgplus! uses the drivers from the system that have been changed....

And Blade - you can't buy WinXp 64bit it's currently avaiable for free from microsoft. which you would notice first thing after clicking on the link I left.

Here is a quote from microsoft

quote:
Q. Will Windows XP 64-Bit Edition support 32-bit applications?
A. A key feature of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is its ability to run 32-bit Windows-based applications unmodified on the 64-bit platform. To enable this capability, Microsoft has added a new 32-bit subsystem to Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. This subsystem—Windows on Windows 64—provides the 32-bit Windows services needed for applications to run properly even if they are not 64-bit. (Note: This subsystem does not support 16-bit applications.)

This post was edited on 11-25-2004 at 06:27 AM by Milkman00.
11-25-2004 06:26 AM
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: A Version for 64bit XP
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
It's not about a version check, that's a sure thing.. however, Plus! does pretty low-level stuff and I can totally understand why it wouldn't work in 64bits (and I'm already releived toknow it doesn't crash).

The day I'll have a 64bits processor, I'll make Plus! compatible with it :).

Note to Blade: a 64 bits OS is a LOT more than just the same 32 bits OS witha couple of modifications. Most program work only at a level where 32 bits and 64 bits are not a concern, however, for a program like Plus!, it is :).

As patchou has said, msgPlus does many low level operations, meaning instructions done directly by the cpu. Instructions of a 32bit cpu are different then those of 64bits'. Therefore, that is the reason patchou gave that explain why it doesn't work on a 64bit cpu. It has nothing to do with drivers or the operating system.
Cow juice...
11-25-2004 06:46 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: