What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Compact messages

[Suggestion] Compact messages
Author: Message:
Shao

37 / Male / –
O.P. [Suggestion] Compact messages
One thing that annoys me is when I leave my computer and come back to seeing my taskbar cluttered with MSN messages. For those familiar with ICQ, there is an option to set it so when ICQ messages are sent, they blink in a very small icon in the bottom-right corner of the task-bar, as a system tray icon. I was wondering if Messenger Plus! could incorporate some sort of feature similar to that, so I could click on the neat little corner icon to access my messages instead of it cluttering my taskbar.

Is my suggestion clear?
Follow the virtues of your heart
11-24-2004 11:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Compact messages
u could just use a windows xp feature to stop them cluttering up.

if u select properties on the task bar, then there is an option to group similar task bar button. this will then put them all into one button, in which u will be able to select the different windows
11-25-2004 12:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Shao

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Compact messages
The messages would still be on your taskbar, which is still kind of inconvenient. What you're talking about can be done with ICQ too, but there is another method which allows a simple blinking message quick-tray icon for ICQ. I was just wondering if something smiliar to that could be implemented for Msg+.
11-25-2004 12:14 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
well its not really wot u want but

you could lock messenger or put it in boss protection, then will make sure that no chat windows pop up, how ever. u will not be allerted if sum1 says sumthing to you.

however if u are not at the computer at the time. then this won't be to much of a problem. but if you are just wanting to do it to keep your taskbar cleaner while still at your computer, it won't be much help to you
11-25-2004 12:35 AM
Shao

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Compact messages
Thanks for the suggestion toddy, but I'm still hoping others get my idea and it's hopefully considered.

Does my suggestion make sense? Maybe other ICQ users are familiar with what I'm talking about?
11-25-2004 04:04 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I don't use ICQ much (too much SPAM), but the idea for MSN sounds good. (y)

I'm a tray-icons fan (I even got TB-Tray for Thunderbird :p), so I support and add to this petition. (H)

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

11-25-2004 04:42 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As much as I can see that people might like this, I, _personaly_, don't like it at all.

The traybar is a place were icons are put for important programs which are needed to run constantly (in the background) and are kind-of needed for the system. It is not the place to put all the flashing icons from incoming messages and stuff, because that is why that taskbar is there. In other words, don't turn the basic Windows functionality it around.

I get the jiggles when I see a traybar like this:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=339921]
including that left arrow, meaning there are tons of more things which even don't fit all there....

But, as said, this is a personal opinion. Just to say that there also a lot of people which don't like this kind of stuff. But for those who do like it, it would be a nice feature to enable (and already requested before).

Btw, a good alternative is to use grouped conversations using plugins like you could find here:
"CookieRevised's reply to "A window for all" plugin?"

.png File Attachment: traybar.png (17.61 KB)
This file has been downloaded 274 time(s).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-25-2004 02:44 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: