What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.

Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
Author: Message:
Stargazer

– / Female / –
O.P. Undecided  Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
Hi!

I'm pretty new to msgplus. Downloaded it yesterday and really like all the things you can do with it! :D I successfully downloaded the Monty Phyton and Matrix plugin, however I was trying to download one about the Simpsons and Southpark as well, but I can't get those to work! :S

I downloaded here: http://www.whacko.nl/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=1

into my msgplus folder, where I downloaded the other plugins.... However when I try to "make them work" - I fail... And to be honest - I have no idea what I *should* be doing to make them work. I'm German, but I guess if somebody could try to explain that in easy English words I might be able to get those plugins to work.... Thx in advance.

Plz help, I'm really frustrated! :(
11-22-2004 01:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
I know Matrix and Monty Python come in installers (I wrote them :)), so if Simpsons and South Park are packaged in EXEs too, then just run the EXE.
However, and I suspect this is the case, they come as the raw DLL. This needs to be placed in the Plugins folder (which you seem to have done), and any accompanying .reg files need to be placed in the same place and run.

Any German translators out there: feel free to translate this post.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
11-22-2004 02:43 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Stargazer

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
Thx for your quick reply raceprouk! :D (And I especially love the Monty Python plugin! (Y) Good job!)

Well, I usually have no problem at all with English, but when it comes to computer terms it's really hard to understand everything, cause sometimes German and English "names" are completely different which makes it hard for me to follow instructions (especially because I'm no computer genius, unfortunatly!).

You are right, the files are .dll! And I did put them into the plugin folder! But where do I get the .reg files from to run the .dll?! (Sorry, this probably is a stupid question... :S)
11-22-2004 04:21 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
If .reg files are needed, they usually come with the DLL. If there aren't any, then they aren't needed, and a restart of Messenger is all that is needed.

To check they are installed correctly, in a conversation window:
- Press Alt
- Select Plus > Plugins > <plugin-name>
- Select one of the options
This will put the command in the typing area.
11-23-2004 12:08 PM
Stargazer

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
Hhm, thx! Yeah, the .reg file didn't come with the download. A friend who has the Soutpark and Simpsons plugin told me I don't need anything, I just gotta "run" the .dll. However I tried that and it didn't work. :rolleyes: Also didn't work after I closed the messenger and started again. I guess I don't know where the problem lies then. Must be my computer I guess! ^o)

The problem with .dll files is that when I doubleclick them, a little window opens that asks me what program I want to use to open the file.... But I don't really know what to choose then... Tried different things, nothing worked. Have no idea how to handle those .dll files... :S

Thx a lot for your help. But I think about quitting to get that thingy to work now. (It's definatly not installed as a plugin yet, checked that a dozen times now...)

This post was edited on 11-23-2004 at 06:55 PM by Stargazer.
11-23-2004 04:56 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
DLL files are not meant to be run, so I'm not sure what your friend is talking about.
As for getting the plugin to work, you seem to have tried everything.
11-24-2004 07:44 AM
Stargazer

– / Female / –
O.P. Huh?  RE: Can't get this plugin to work. Plz help.
Ok, now that I used msn again, and my plugins that work (Matrix, Monty Python), I suddenly realized that the South Park and Simpsons one are finally there! *-) This is quite strange, cause I didn't do anything with these files lately. They stayed in the same folder since the beginning!!! And I'm 100% positive they haven't been there! I may be not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I know for sure they haven't been there before. Plus I didn't change anything. It's a big mystery to me! :S

I'm sorry I'm bugging you with this... BUT, when I try to use the plugin and choose something from the menu and enter it like this: /xSPdammit and hit send, it comes up like this: sp106"Goddamnit!" but I can't hear a thing... Does anybody have any idea what I can do about that then? Maybe I should wait just 2 other days and then it'll work...? Just like with the .dll files... Strange. And I'm sorry for bringing up my stupid problem again.

This post was edited on 11-25-2004 at 11:11 PM by Stargazer.
11-25-2004 11:10 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: