What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Log Searching

Log Searching
Author: Message:
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Log Searching
I think this would take changing the log files to something else other than text files but maybe it could be done.

It would be a nice feature to have if you type in a phrase and all the matching phrases in all the logs come up and you can browser thru them in a easy and orginized way. This way if you forget someones name you can search for when you asked "Whats you name", you can open that log, and after that message you can easyly see the person's name without having to go thru all the logs.
11-30-2004 03:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Log Searching
This isn't exactly what you're looking for but it may help you with some extra convenience with viewing chat logs.
Lopardo’s Messenger Plus Log Viewer
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
11-30-2004 04:19 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
Cant you just open the logs normaly
then press Control + F to search?
11-30-2004 04:19 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
then press Control + F to search?
I think he means being able to open every log and search everyone. Like a database query...

This post was edited on 11-30-2004 at 04:29 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
11-30-2004 04:29 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Then simply use the already existing tools in Windows: Right-click on the log-directory (in Windows Explorer for example) and select "search" and put the line you want to search for in there as "search for content"......

I've said this before, but anyways: If you use the already existing features/tools/programs/functions/etc. in Windows or any other program for that matter, you'll discover that you can do much more then you think. And above all, you'll learn how everything is connected and related and how you can use your computer and everything on it properly.

Not everything needs to be put into a special feature/function of Messenger Plus!. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. And the comment "but it will be easier" is also a bit overused; using those already existing features is also easy. If one keeps putting everything into one single program you'll learn nothing and people will keep on demanding more and more "lazyness"-features.

This post was edited on 11-30-2004 at 05:42 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-30-2004 05:17 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I agree with Cookie as regards stopping making things too easy for lazy people. Not reinventing the wheel is a great anology there.

However I will say that this cannot be done for people who encrypt their chat logs, and can only be performed on plain text logs. I have wanted to be able to do a generic search on my logs a couple of times, but can't because there is no way to search them without having some kind of password entry.

However there is no need for me to be lazy. I can just open them up, enter my password, and do a Ctrl+F in Notepad ;)
11-30-2004 05:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
However I will say that this cannot be done for people who encrypt their chat logs, and can only be performed on plain text logs.
That's true...

But this also implies that you even can't add this as an easy-to-use feature (for lazy people), since logs can be encrypted with different passwords. So to implement this (search thru all logs) you first need to type in all the passwords that your logs are encrypted with, making this "feature" even more hard to use and bloated.
11-30-2004 05:44 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Log Searching
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Then simply use the already existing tools in Windows: Right-click on the log-directory (in Windows Explorer for example) and select "search" and put the line you want to search for in there as "search for content"......

did you try this out yourself cookie? I put in a log "jdfi783hjnzx8sd8h3" saved it and tried the method you just used and it didnt find anything and accually showed 2 logs which have nothing of this sort of typing in there.

and about the lazyness - Programs/plugins/apps w/e are here to make our life easier, better and faster (both for lazy and nonlazy people) If it wasnt like that, why are we on Windows XP and why didnt we stay on MSDOS/Windows 95? Because its easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
However I will say that this cannot be done for people who encrypt their chat logs, and can only be performed on plain text logs. I have wanted to be able to do a generic search on my logs a couple of times, but can't because there is no way to search them without having some kind of password entry.

I did think about this and the only way around would be in the search window to put your password if you wish to also search in encrypted passwords.

I also see nowadays a pproblem with members; they just state their opinion. I just wanna say that this is just a suggestion (which will possibly never make it to Messenger Plus!) so i dont really care about the opinions. I would rather hear people apport ways to do this or improvements. But w/e its your post count :)
11-30-2004 05:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
did you try this out yourself cookie? I put in a log "jdfi783hjnzx8sd8h3" saved it and tried the method you just used and it didnt find anything and accually showed 2 logs which have nothing of this sort of typing in there.
With all respect, but I don't need to try it to know that it works. I use Windows Explorer Search function all the time. And every Windows user who knows what I'm talking about will confirm this. In other words: Do it properly... :dodgy:

quote:
and about the lazyness - Programs/plugins/apps w/e are here to make our life easier, better and faster (both for lazy and nonlazy people) If it wasnt like that, why are we on Windows XP and why didnt we stay on MSDOS/Windows 95? Because its easier.
Please don't begin to start these hollow comparissons/arguments again like before... This has nothing todo with it...

quote:
I did think about this and the only way around would be in the search window to put your password if you wish to also search in encrypted passwords.
It is not as easy as putting your password in a box, read my comment about that in my previous post.

quote:
I also see nowadays a pproblem with members; they just state their opinion.
If opinions are grounded on facts, then there is no problem with that.

quote:
I just wanna say that this is just a suggestion (which will possibly never make it to Messenger Plus!) so i dont really care about the opinions.
Then why do you post? Furthermore, I (and others) reply with comments about what can be a problem and why it will not be implemented and what the working alternatives are.

quote:
I would rather hear people apport ways to do this or improvements.
Well too bad, but although some suggestion may seem "cool" at first sight, some suggestions are simply not doable, bloated, too limiting or useless if you look deeper into them. That's something you should accept. The positive thing about it though, is that other (doable) ideas can be formed. see http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34967

quote:
But w/e its your post count
Again, don't let me start on this...

This post was edited on 12-01-2004 at 02:20 AM by CookieRevised.
12-01-2004 01:59 AM
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
can i say one thing? Google Desktop.

Download it. Search a basic word like "back" and it'll give you a bunch of log files. Im pretty sure this is exactly what you want to do.

Its easy and organized :undecided:

This post was edited on 12-02-2004 at 05:07 AM by marissa.
12-02-2004 05:05 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: