What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Spybot Letter

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Spybot Letter
Author: Message:
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
O.P. Spybot Letter
I'm writing a letter to the Spybot Team about the sponsor:

quote:
Hi, I'm from the Messenger Plus! Forums, and there has been a lot of people there complaining about how the Messenger Plus! OPTIONAL sponsor program was installed (it is clearly labeled in the installer program) on their system and they tried to remove it with an anti-Spyware program such as Spybot and the sponsor just kept coming back.

The reason for this was because your program acutally cripples the uninstaller by removing some of the required files. The only way to recover the program from this is to install Plus! again with the sponsor, then uninstall Plus! (which starts the sponsor uninstaller), then to reinstall Plus! without the sponsor program. I was just wondering if you could possibly add something to your program that will check for the uninstaller for anything from C2Media before trying to remove it the normal way.  The sponsor program, by the way, is from C2Media, but is [color=red]HIGHLY[color] modified by Patchou, the creator of Messenger Plus!, to be easily uninstallable and to be not quite as aggressive. This issue has been coming up again and again, and Patchou is getting quite tired of it. He has created a "FAQ About the Sponsor" page, located here.

Not only will this help Patchou, but anybody who has C2Media stuff on their computer. If uninstalled improperly, C2Media programs create large system instabilities, which could cause you to reformat your harddrive.

PS: Please DO NOT assosiate Plus! with spyware. Plus! itself is spyware/adware free. The sponsor program is optionalware, and is the best way for Patchou to make some money for all of the time he spends programming Plus!.

Your friend from the Plus! forums,
Chaotic_Shield

Your thoughts?
[Image: 7.png]
12-03-2004 12:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Moo

RE: Spybot Letter
apart from the [color]
* Moo approves...! (Y)

This post was edited on 12-03-2004 at 12:11 AM by Moo.
12-03-2004 12:10 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
Good letter, but last i heard spybot had serious problems with it which they ended up putting out a update for it which i still dont know if it fixed problems ,
12-03-2004 12:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Spybot Letter
Thanks guys. I really starting to get pissed about all the people complaining about "Spybot can't fix it!!". Anti-spyware programs ARE NOT the cure-all for spyware. Use your head when dealing with spyware.
[Image: 7.png]
12-03-2004 12:16 AM
Ice006

I dunno. Spybot's just doing its job really. Wouldn't it be up to the user to manually select the C2Media product and mark it as 'do not delete' or whatever? Spybot's full of warnings about this kind of thing happening. Use at your own risk kinda thing.

Just like the DivX with the adware. It's my job to make sure that the necessary files don't get deleted. Simple enough to do.
12-05-2004 12:12 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Its a good letter, but it will always detect it probably, because it could've been installed by other means, and if it was, then it will completely mess that up in my opinion.... This is whats spybot is made for, getting rid of adware/spyware, i doubt it will stop doing its job ;)
12-05-2004 12:18 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Nice letter :)
Now write to lavasoft, the company that made "Adaware"
Their website is http://www.lavasoft.de
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
12-05-2004 03:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Xero_Cool

I did already :)

Waits for reply*
Regards,
XeroCool

Acting dumb to you? My bad.

GameConnect++
Mess with MSN Messenger

12-05-2004 04:13 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Good job Chaotic_Shield. Hopefully the spybot developers will take this seriously and look to change there software for the better.:)
AC3
12-05-2004 04:29 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

To be honest, I really doubt this will change a thing, a single letter to Spybot won't change anything, people have probably sent stuff before, it will always be recognised as adware, therefore a removal program will take chunks of it away..
12-05-2004 05:00 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: