What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » mixing DDR RAM

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
mixing DDR RAM
Author: Message:
phantazy

I missed you, I've changed a lot

77 / Male / –
RE: mixing DDR RAM
Well I think you mean that more RAM will mean that your system will run faster, and that is why you want to get it. without starting a Master Class more RAM  is only needed if A) you play a video and the system crashes {easy}, or B) your 'commit charge' (k) in Task Manager Performance is higher than the figure of Memory available 'physical memory available' (k){not so easy}. If this is close enough save your money and put it towards a better cpu and/or motherboard!
12-06-2004 12:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Quick question: where did you get 256MHz from? No memory stick comes in that speed. The speeds are usually 100, 133, 166, 200, and so on, every 33MHz.
256 will be the size of the module in MB.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-06-2004 12:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
phantazy

77 / Male / –
Raceprouk = True. See my post above.
12-06-2004 12:38 PM
C3PO

Formally known as 'Wolfenstein'

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: mixing DDR RAM
sorry it must of been 266Mhz then. I had a look at it a few weeks ago and only remembed that it was 200 and something and 266 just sounded like a good number to me but thanx ill neva make that mistake again

quote:
Originally posted by phantazy
Well I think you mean that more RAM will mean that your system will run faster, and that is why you want to get it. without starting a Master Class more RAM  is only needed if A) you play a video and the system crashes {easy}, or B) your 'commit charge' (k) in Task Manager Performance is higher than the figure of Memory available 'physical memory available' (k){not so easy}. If this is close enough save your money and put it towards a better cpu and/or motherboard!

i want more ram because i dont fell my computer is fast as it should be in 2004 also my main reason is because some new games i want require more ram then what i have so i need it because im a gaming freak :P
[Image: customsig30958km5eg.gif]
12-06-2004 12:38 PM
phantazy

77 / Male / –
I sort of guessed that you liked gaming. I would seriously think about an overview of your whole system before you rush out and buy Ram sticks. Like I said beefore you might be better off with a good CPu, or m/board for the same price, or marginally more, and then you would be sure to know the difference.
12-06-2004 12:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wolfenstein
256MHz i think
that doesn't make sense though, as people said before. However there is more to it then "don't confuse speed with MB".......

As answered before: yes the lowest FSB speed is always choosen as operating speed. But furthermore, the exact speed used is capped by the FSB speed that your motherboard can handle.

eg: If you have two modules which are both of type PC3200, but your motherbord can only handle PC2700, then those PC3200 modules will operate at the equivalent speed of a PC2700 type.

Also, don't stare blind on the Mhz-numbers. Manufacters often trick people with that as you often see things like "DDR 333Mhz (PC2700)" or "DDR PC2700 (166Mhz)". Now you might think that the 166Mhz is the slowest. Well both are exactly the same. The Mhz-numbers in both cases mean something else:

1) In DDR modules, the numbers that come after the "PC" refer to the total bandwidth of the module. For this type of memory, a higher number represents faster memory, or more bandwidth.

2) Sometimes DDR memory is referred to as "DDR400" or "DDR333," for example. When written this way, the numbers after "DDR" refer to the data transfer rate of the components.

convention of writing: eg: DDR 333 PC2700 166
Type of memory: DDR
Data transfer rate: 333 Mhz
Module bandwith: 2.7 Gb/s
Front-side-bus: 166 Mhz

PC1600 (also referred to as DDR200) designed for use in systems with a 100 MHz FSB, (providing a 200 MT/s data transfer rate). The "1600" refers to the module's bandwidth (the maximum amount of data it can transfer each second), which is 1.6 GB.

PC2100 (also referred to as DDR266) designed for use in systems with a 133 MHz FSB, (providing a 266 MT/s data transfer rate). The "2100" refers to the module's bandwidth (the maximum amount of data it can transfer each second), which is 2.1 GB.

PC2700 (also referred to as DDR333) designed for use in systems with a 166 MHz FSB, (providing a 333 MT/s data transfer rate). The "2700" refers to the module's bandwidth (the maximum amount of data it can transfer each second), which is 2.7 GB.

PC3200 (also referred to as DDR400) designed for use in systems with a 200 MHz FSB, (providing a 400 MT/s data transfer rate). The "3200" refers to the module's bandwidth (the maximum amount of data it can transfer each second), which is 3.2 GB.

etc...

Don't let people tell you that "DDR 333 Mhz" is faster then "PC2700 166Mhz"... they are exactly the same.

in short, forget about all the numbers and speeds and only look at this: "PC2100", "PC2700", etc...

This post was edited on 12-06-2004 at 12:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-06-2004 12:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
phantazy

77 / Male / –
Thanks, CR, I learned a little there.
12-06-2004 12:53 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »