What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Questions about logging

Questions about logging
Author: Message:
FirestormX

O.P. Questions about logging
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is a feature I haven't yet found, or if I should be looking through scripts (I did a search though), or if it's even possible, but is there any way I can have personal messages stored in my logs, along with the person's name?
I was an msn 6 user until windows messenger live came along, and I found it more "useable" than msn 7, so I missed the whole yearish era of msn 7 when the personal message thing came along, and this was probably brought up many times, and for some reason or another, was turned down, so I'm sorry if this is a very redundant question. (Again, I did a search as best I could, and couldn't find any topics about this)

Secondly, is there a way to go back to viewing my logs in my own viewer, rather than the log viewer that comes with Messenger Plus? IE my text logs would be opened in my txt file editor...

Thirdly, (I saw a few topics about this, but I couldn't get anywhere with them) is there a way to decrypt all of my logs? Like, I've got roughly three years worth of encrypted logs (all with the same password) that are split up into their respective months, and for obvious reasons, Messenger Plus won't automatically decrypt the files in all those folders. Is there a tool, or a script to give it a password, the directory(s), and then have it decrypt the logs, and save them as .txts?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'm sorry for redundant questions, but like I said, I completely skipped msn 7, and my searches weren't of much help.
04-01-2007 08:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
FirestormX

O.P. RE: Questions about logging
Does anyone know how to do at least ONE of those things?
04-11-2007 03:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Questions about logging
quote:
Originally posted by FirestormX
I'm not sure if this is a feature I haven't yet found, or if I should be looking through scripts (I did a search though), or if it's even possible, but is there any way I can have personal messages stored in my logs, along with the person's name?
If you enabled the event viewer, you can see all the PSM changes in there:
   Plus! > Preferences > Messenger > Event Logging > ...
   and enable 'Show Personal Messages' in the 'Options' menu in the Event Log Window

They can also be logged in the individual chat logs:
   Plus! > Preferences > Conversations > Chat Logging > Save Options > Record contact's activities

quote:
Secondly, is there a way to go back to viewing my logs in my own viewer, rather than the log viewer that comes with Messenger Plus? IE my text logs would be opened in my txt file editor...
Yes and no...

You can not define your own program to open logs. But you can let Plus! open logs with the system's default associated program instead.

This means that TXT (text) logs will be opened with the associated program for text files (which is usually notepad). HTML logs (new possebility in Plus! Live) will be opened with your default browser. Encrypted logs will still be opened with Plus!'s Log Viewer since that is the only program which can decrypt them.

To do this you need to manually add a registry value: ChatLogOpenWithViewer.
This is a DWORD value. When it is set to 1 (default) it indicates the use of the Log Viewer program, when it is set to 0 it indicates the use of the system's default associated program.

You need to add this registry value to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<your_windows_live_id>\Preferences

Also see:
http://www.msgpluslive.net/help/registry

quote:
Thirdly, (I saw a few topics about this, but I couldn't get anywhere with them) is there a way to decrypt all of my logs? Like, I've got roughly three years worth of encrypted logs (all with the same password) that are split up into their respective months, and for obvious reasons, Messenger Plus won't automatically decrypt the files in all those folders. Is there a tool, or a script to give it a password, the directory(s), and then have it decrypt the logs, and save them as .txts?
One way would be to copy all the files in the main log folder to some temporary folder and then to copy all the files in a specific subfolder to the main folder and let Plus! decrypt all your logs. After that move them back to their respective subfolder and repeat the process for each subdirectory... This is explained here:
CookieRevised's reply to Encrypted Chat Logs
post is about Plus! 3, but principle is still the same for Plus! Live

Another way, to automate this a bit, is to use a DOS batch file, a windows script file, or the likes, with the command line parameters of the Log Viewer program. Explained here:
CookieRevised's reply to About uncrypting logs (i've got password!)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-28-2007 02:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: