What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus! not safe?

Messenger Plus! not safe?
Author: Message:
javish

– / Male / –
O.P. Messenger Plus! not safe?
Recently my sister's laptop got infected with spyware and ad-ware programs. I turned for help to Gladiator Security forum. The help me with the problems and now the laptop is clean. One thing that they told me and came to my attention was this:

"I recommend you use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Messenger Plus. While the program itself contains no spyware/malware, many systems using it eventually end up with LOP and other exploits infecting the computer. In fact, one of the optional programs you can install along with MP3 is LOP!!!

FYI: Your current infection is LOP, no doubt from Messenger Plus 3!"

I dind't install the sponsor programs when I installed Messenger Plus to my sister's laptop and I been using this plug in on my pc for a long time now and never had a problem with spyware or ad-ware infections. How much of this is true?

This post was edited on 12-07-2004 at 10:00 PM by javish.
12-07-2004 09:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: Messenger Plus! not safe?
It looks like you installed the optional sponsor program.
when you got to this part of the installation
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]
You probally checked "I accept, install messenger plus with the sponsor program"

BTW that screen shot may not look like the current install window as the program has been updated to make it clearer what you are accepting to. And somebody should really update the screenshot :dodgy:
12-07-2004 10:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
yep, u installed it by accident.

read this page:
http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
12-07-2004 10:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by javish
I dind't install the sponsor programs when I installed Messenger Plus to my sister's laptop and I been using this plug in on my pc for a long time now and never had a problem with spyware or ad-ware infections. How much of this is true?
On the other hand, like they have said, many many programs come with C2Media/LOP sponsors (and mostly _not_ optional and much much more aggresive), so it is also quite possible that the current adware from Lop on that PC isn't even from Plus!.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-07-2004 10:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Jsut to be on the safe side, you can try unisntalling Plus! to see if it will trigger the unisntallation of the sponsor (and reinstall Plus! later). However, you can be sure of onething: the sponsor is NEVER installed automatically or in any other place than in the setup. There's not a single piece of code related to the sponsor program in Messenger Plus! itself.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-08-2004 09:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
javish

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! not safe?
I'm pretty sure I didn't install the sponsor programs, must have been my sister with the installation of another program. I have used Messenger Plus! for a long time now with no problems of infections of any kind. Now I just installed the MSN 7.0 beta and the Messenger Plus! beta. Thanks for clearing my mind of any doubt. Keep up the good work!!!
12-08-2004 06:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: