What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact List info

Contact List info
Author: Message:
grant_w

O.P. Huh?  Contact List info
Today my MSN account was hacked and my password and secret question changed so I cannot access anything from my old account. Is there any way of finding out my contacts from the MsgPlus fields stored in the registry. I really need to know my contact list from my hacked account and don't know of a way to get it

Thanks

Grant
12-09-2004 11:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Xero_Cool

RE: Contact List info
All I can tell you is:

If you have been talking to your contacts when msgplus! was on, Check the logs. Their emails show up as the log name :)
Regards,
XeroCool

Acting dumb to you? My bad.

GameConnect++
Mess with MSN Messenger

12-09-2004 11:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by grant_w
Is there any way of finding out my contacts from the MsgPlus fields stored in the registry
no.

The contact emailaddresses are stored in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<your_sign_in_email>\Contacts

But they are all encrypted to an hash. Which is a one way encryption and thus can not be decrypted.

If you're lucky you had made all your contacts as a "floating" contact on your desktop, ni that case they are saved un-encrypted here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<your_sign_in_email>\Contacts\CtcDetach

That's all you can find regarding emailaddresses in the registry...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-10-2004 12:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
grant_w

O.P. RE: Contact List info
unfortunately I turned logs off and didn't have any of my contacts as floating :(

Am i completely stuffed then?
12-10-2004 08:12 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by grant_w
unfortunately I turned logs off and didn't have any of my contacts as floating :(

Am i completely stuffed then?

I'm afraid so, couldn't you contact msn and tell them about your problem, I'm sure they'd be willing to sort it out for you, didn't you save your contact list?
12-10-2004 08:13 AM
grant_w

no I didn't save it, it is a shared PC

I contacted MSN but they couldn't do anything because some of my details I supplied didn't match the ones on file. NO SH1T, THE HACKER CHANGED THEM!!!!!!
12-10-2004 11:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
There is a chance, but you need some small effort to grab it it all (and some small knowledge of the registry and how to extract things)...

As said before, msgplus does not store your contacts emailaddresses unencrypted, but the .NET Messenger service does... Go to the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCacheU\.NET Messenger Service\

In there, and with some luck, you'll find a cached listing of the Allow list, Block list, Contact list and Reverse list....*

The lists are from the user defined in IdentityName.

So, there you'll find entries like Allow12. This is the 12th item in the allow list. The value is not ASCII but UNICODE. So there, with some luck, you can find all your contacts (provided that the value of IdentityName is your email used for MSN Messenger AND that this cache is up to date)

* Allow list: people who can see your status
Block list: people which you have blocked
Contact list: the contact list
Reverse list: people who have added you to their list

more on this: http://www.msnfanatic.com/index.php?module=announ...1&ANN_user_op=view

This post was edited on 12-11-2004 at 04:38 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2004 04:32 AM
grant_w

unfortunately that registry setting wasn't there, I use win98

I am finding it hard to believe that the people at MSN/Passport/whatever are unwilling to either close my account or change my password so I can access it again:@. I provided all of the info they asked and they said some of it didnt match so basically hard luck. I had contacts in there that I now don't have access to, I had emails from people's phones so the hacker now has their phone numbers plus all of the personal info that was in there.
Now the hacker is still using my account daily and still pretending to be me.

HELP
12-11-2004 09:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: