What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [split] reputation system abuse

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
[split] reputation system abuse
Author: Message:
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Conducting Through Tests
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
As for reputation scores, I don't pay any attention to them.  For example, what if somebody sent out a PM to everybody in their contact list and said 'go to MP forums and vote against Cookie'.  Somebody with a large number of contacts could cook the books very easily.  Also, buddies vote for buddies who then return the favour

The person has to be registered to the forums and has to have over 100 posts, so this would not happen. Even if they did have over 100 posts i doubt they'd be stupid enough to just vote against Cookie (as an example) for no reason.

This post was edited on 12-11-2004 at 01:34 PM by Underlord.
12-11-2004 01:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: [split] reputation system abuse
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
The person has to be registered to the forums and has to have over 100 posts, so this would not happen. Even if they did have over 100 posts i doubt they'd be stupid enough to just vote against Cookie (as an example) for no reason.
All depends on what is a 'good reason'.

quote:
RE: AIEEE,IIT,MNR,SPA DELHI, SEPT, JJ COLLEGE MUMBAI

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
let's try to give him a  -30 reputation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol, we're on our way 

Yes, I know this is an example of going after a spammer, but its still proves my point.  Herd voting can and does occur, even amongst 100+ posters.

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 12:29 PM by Sam Spade.
12-12-2004 12:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
That has a good reason, and they are just haveing a joke
12-12-2004 12:29 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Although "herd" (I like that term :p) voting does occur, I hardly think it is happening that often without everyone having a good reason...and if it does an admin can always sort it :P
however the only reason I gave you a negative rep was because I summed up a few of your posts and you seemed a little arrogant with your definition of spyware which was wrong...You'll find most users only give reps for a good reason, and if they don't they will be removed if you PM an admin...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
12-12-2004 12:37 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Yes, I know this is an example of going after a spammer, but its still proves my point.  Herd voting can and does occur, even amongst 100+ posters.
the guy abused the forums in the first place, but what does his account matter anyway ;) ?
12-12-2004 01:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Although "herd" (I like that term :p) voting does occur,
Thank you, this one admission is all that is needed.
quote:
I hardly think it is happening that often without everyone having a good reason...and if it does an admin can always sort it :P
Once more, all depends on what the 'good reason' is; for a start - positive or negative reputation votes based on personality, 'like' or 'dislike', disagreement or 'herd' voting have no place in a technical forum.

In all honesty, responses such as 'what does his account matter anyway' are not reassuring because such an attitude can be applied to any person at any time for any reason.   That being said, I'm very grateful for the post, it proves my point quite nicely.
quote:
however the only reason I gave you a negative rep was because I summed up a few of your posts and you seemed a little arrogant
<shrug> I've been called worse and, to be honest, I didn't even realise you'd made that vote until you pointed it out. Like I said, reputation votes are fundamentally flawed and easily discounted.  The only redeeming feature is that anybody can examine anybody's messages at any time and decide for themselves if a negative vote is justified (which is a good thing otherwise we might all start believing TheBlasphemer's assessment of Cookie in his/her negative vote.)
quote:
with your definition of spyware which was wrong...
<shrug> That's debateable.
quote:
You'll find most users only give reps for a good reason, and if they don't they will be removed if you PM an admin...
Reputation voting is inherently flawed.
12-12-2004 02:33 PM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
I really don't like this repuation shit.  The boards aren't really a popularity contest like some people are making them out to be now they have reputations.  As far as I'm concerned its a  waste of time and an extra field in the database.  Undoubtly Wdz is starting to feel the same way because he's just cleaning up after the lesser minded people who abuse it.
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
12-12-2004 03:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
<shrug> That's debateable.
I'm sorry but it is not...it is a dictionary term. Your mistake was saying that a few adverts are spyware, which they are not, because they are not spying on you, this is why it is called spyware, because it spies...It is not debateable as any computer literate user will tell you.
http://www.btsafersurfing.com/glossary/p_t.html
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Undoubtly Wdz is starting to feel the same way because he's just cleaning up after the lesser minded people who abuse it.
Maybe we should go back to the idea of only selected members can vote...

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 04:06 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
12-12-2004 03:58 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
You are supposed to rate someone for what that person does for the community..not because you're friends, as a joke or because someone asked you to vote for him/her (no matter wether its a positive or negative vote). Really what does a vote mean if it says f.e. good guy or great friend, if thats the only thing you put inthere? Thats not gonna tell a newbie onhere wether that person gives good advice or not, wich imo was the reason this was put up in the first place (and also a lil something for the forumstaff to keep track of who does his/her best or not).
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-12-2004 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
ive got a +3 reputation, and ive been here 3years... and they have all been in the past few weeks.... doesnt bother me tho :) i know i help here, and if you look, you can see for yourself that i try my best ^_^  i dont need everyine else to know what a heap of ppl think about me :)
[Image: sig.jpg]
12-12-2004 05:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: