What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Bug in Sponsor?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Bug in Sponsor?
Author: Message:
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  Bug in Sponsor?
Well, you may stay skeptic with this kind of reports but that's what I'm gonna do: report what I have seen in the behaviour of the lop.om sponsoort installation.

As I use Firefox for my daily surfing needs, I didn't care about the sponsor and I installed it, to see what problems it could give and what were the changes to Internet Explorer, as I didn't care much about it.

Well, a couple of months after (well, yesterday) I decided to remove the sponsor. I just uninstalled Messenger Plus! and installed it again refusing the sponsor. I opened Internet Explorer and everything was right again, no bars, no popUps, no messed-up error pages, fine.

But the surprise came today, when I started the computer. The bar was there again along with the popups and all that bullshit.

So (thinking of corrupted files) I re-installed (without uninstalling first) with the sponsor program. Then inmediately uninstalled MP!. I even rebooted at that point the machine, following the recomendations of the uninstallers. Then checked MSIE, fine without adbar. Then installed MP! *without* the sponsor and the bar surprisingly re-appeared.

I have done all steps exactly this way and it is not possible that I missed the checkbox, whatsoever.

I will try now to uninstall before re-installing with sponsor, but I'm afraid that won't help much.

Hope there is a rational (ie, neither mystical nor spiritual) explanation for this. :-/

Edit: forgot to say that Internet Explorer had no window open. (although a process of it seems to be impossible to finish, maybe due to Messenger 7.0)

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 01:39 PM by KeyStorm.
12-12-2004 01:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Bug in Sponsor?
I read somewhere in these forums, that there are hidden instances of internet explorer.
Before installing, hit Alt - Ctrl - Del or right click on the taskbar and select "Task manager"
If you are using windows XP, go to the "Processes" tab and close all the instances of "iexplore.exe".
If you are using win98 just close all instances of "iexplore.exe"
Then try uninstalling messenger plus to remove the sponsor...
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
12-12-2004 02:48 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Bug in Sponsor?
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
(although a process of it seems to be impossible to finish, maybe due to Messenger 7.0)
I was already aware of that ;)

If those can't be finished, then the uninstaller does not work properly. Noobs won't be able to finish all ie instances. The unisntaller should be improved. What about forcing the closing of all process trees that use iexplore?

(What about removing iexplore completely from the system if it can't even handle installation and uninstallation of plugins properly? What did I hear about security in IE from Microsoft recently :dodgy:)

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 04:20 PM by KeyStorm.
12-12-2004 04:19 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Hum... can I ask you what version of Windows you're running? I'll check that with C2Media.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-12-2004 06:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Windows XP Professional SP2
Oh, and thanks for checking, btw.

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 08:28 PM by KeyStorm.
12-12-2004 08:18 PM
megamuff

36 / – / –
get the program called "starter" and use that to terminate IE. it is MUCH faster then the stupid crappy task manager, as well it can ALWAYS terminate an application without giving an error at random as if task manager rolls a die to see wether or not it should complain that something cannot be closed..

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 08:32 PM by megamuff.
12-12-2004 08:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Nah, it does not complain. And the topic is not "how do I remove the sponso", no :P

It's that the uninstaller should be improved to avoid this problem, because it seems to have a bug.
12-12-2004 08:36 PM
megamuff

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Nah, it does not complain. And the topic is not "how do I remove the sponso", no :P

It's that the uninstaller should be improved to avoid this problem, because it seems to have a bug.

sounds to me like a problem with the installer not the uninstaller..
12-12-2004 08:42 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
No, beacuse the installer install's fine.
But the un-installer doesnt remove it properly because of ie running
12-12-2004 10:14 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I know C2Media has worked on improving the uninstaller recently, could you try again by downloading the latest beta of Plus! (their most recent setup version is included in it).

And of course I'll look into it! What I wrote in my facts page is not just here to look good: I have no interest in forcing the sponsor on anyone's computer as it just makes my users angry :p
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-12-2004 11:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: