What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » some suggestions about the setup program

some suggestions about the setup program
Author: Message:
Phil_123

All your base are belong to us

– / Male / –
O.P. some suggestions about the setup program
How a typical user installs a program: Next, Next, I agree, I accept, OK, Yes, Finish. Lots of people do this, even when the setup program is translated into their native language. So, here are some suggestions to prevent users from accidently accepting the agreeing the sponsor agreement and then posting everywhere "Stay away from Messenger Plus! It is now bundled with adware!"

[Image: screen13nw.gif]
User must click that big button with red text on it to continue to the next page. The big button cannot be clicked until the 10-second countdown is over. (notice the :00)

[Image: untitled1dy.gif]
(I did not modify this screen)
The "big" version of the sponsor agreement, with the toolbar screenshot, but no I accept / I do not accept thing yet. User must scroll down to the bottom before the Close button can be pressed.
(In the current version, to see the "big" version of the sponsor agreement, you click the little + sign at the top right corner of the sponsor agreement)

[Image: screen28pf.gif]
A short message for people that did not actaully read the agreement.

[Image: screen34pb.gif]
A final screen where the user can verify the choices he/she made, including the installation of the sponsor program.

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 05:19 PM by Phil_123.
12-12-2004 05:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: some suggestions about the setup program
The sponsor agreement etc. has already been edited to Patchou's liking, and I'm sure he'll keep it that way for a while, the first 2 screens aren't very good, but I do like the final screen, it looks professional and tells you want you are going to install.

:)
12-12-2004 05:17 PM
MessEnGer

mess the world

40 / Male / –
Nah , i dont agree to that ...

firstly it an option if you chose to install the sponsor program or not

secondly you are given enough notifications about it

The screeny you've made it makes it look like it some kind of virus is being installed on your computer and i am warning you about it

well so no it is not a virus and as msg plus is a free software it gets its income from the sponsor program and i dont think looking at yourideas anyone will ever click on yes i agree to install the software
and also its not that it cannot be uninstalled once it is on your computer

there are various ways in which you can remove it and all of them are posted here
and if nobody ever installs the software program the development of msgplus will be in trouble (god forbid)
so well also patchou has made enough changes in the agreement for people to make their choice
so i dont think there is any need for anymore changes
12-12-2004 05:22 PM
John

www.johnjoosten.net

38 / Male / Flag
[on topic] I think the "setup program" is prefect as is. :)

[off topic] Where did you get that skin that you're using? I know it's a Trillian skin, but how did you get it on your Windows' windows? :| Please tell me, I love it. I used to be hooked on Trillian before Plus! came along.
[Image: johnsig02.png]
12-12-2004 05:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
If this is incorporated then no one will install the sponsor and Patchou will possibly have to force the installation (probably not) but since it is his main source of revenue all the added screens will make the users feel that if they install Plus! then they will be sorry. When red is used in an installer and in bold for that fact it is ment to be a warning and people will cancel the installer not knowing what will happen.

Unfortunatly the screens probably wont be used... well maybe the last but Patchou has come along way in the installer and Patchou is happy with the installer now so there shouldn't be any problems. As you see people have stopped "bitching", so to speak, about not reading the agreement and installing the sponsor.
12-12-2004 05:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Phil_123

All your base are belong to us

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: some suggestions about the setup program
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
[on topic] I think the "setup program" is prefect as is. :)

[off topic] Where did you get that skin that you're using? I know it's a Trillian skin, but how did you get it on your Windows' windows? :| Please tell me, I love it. I used to be hooked on Trillian before Plus! came along.
[on topic]Hmm... yes maybe my pictures are a little bit exaggerated about the sponsor.

[off topic]Jaguar: This is a theme from Windows Whistler (Windows XP Beta), but Microsoft somehow removed it in the final version.
Instead of installing StyleXP or StarSkin (both are useless software), just patch your uxtheme.dll to use themes not signed by Microsoft
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707
Then download and install this theme:
http://www.themexp.org/preview.php?mid=53&type=vs...lor++Lite+v211.zip
12-12-2004 10:29 PM
John

www.johnjoosten.net

38 / Male / Flag
Thanks for that Phil_123, I'm going to install it now. :)

[edit] I installed it :D it looks awesome! <:o) Thanks Phil_123, I always loved that skin on Trillian and now I have it as a Windows style. :D

Sorry for going way off topic here :$

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 11:48 PM by John.
[Image: johnsig02.png]
12-12-2004 11:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: