What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » scrub this

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
scrub this
Author: Message:
tgnb

O.P. Undecided  RE: scrub this
quote:
must've been some slow and boring forums you've visited then if they don't clean often...

Actually one of them, the Gentoo Linux forum has about 70.000 members with about 2000 posts per day and is one of the biggest installations of PHPbb. Keeping a forum clean can be accomplished without deleting posts, especially faster moving forums.

quote:
Well, good forums should be clean and organized, and it's hard to accomplish that without deleting posts...

I'm not one to tell you how to run a forum, but there are plenty of forums out there that are clean, well run and organized but don't have to resort to deleting posts. But hey, this is really what i've come to expect anyways from a forum run by an Adware bundler.
01-04-2005 08:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: scrub this
Oh my god, you think that a forum full of spam and stuff is tidy, thats messed up, this forum is very tidy! Thats because its constantly cleaned! If it wasn't, then it would be messed up, of course the staff delete posts, they have a right to, why have some guy posting about 70 threads and stuff, its just stupid, if its spam, delete it, if it isn't abiding by the forum rules, then delete it!!!

That last bit is completely out of order, its just offensive and ridiculing patchou, its not all big to be like you are, its just a last resort, and you're just trying to find some lame argument...
01-04-2005 08:29 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
I'm not one to tell you how to run a forum, but there are plenty of forums out there that are clean, well run and organized but don't have to resort to deleting posts.
What do they do instead of deleting? Deleting posts is really the easiest way to clean up a thread.

quote:
But hey, this is really what i've come to expect anyways from a forum run by an Adware bundler.
* WDZ slaps stereotypes around a bit with a large trout.

Let me remind you that none of the staff members here get paid to run the forum. We're all volunteers. Also, the rules of this forum and the moderation methods were not changed when Patchou started bundling the optional sponsor program.
01-04-2005 08:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
Just out of question what did that post say?
Then we could work out why it was deleted.
WDZ, have you got a backup?
01-04-2005 08:38 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
WDZ, have you got a backup?
Unfortunately, no. I'd also like to know what was in the post...
01-04-2005 08:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

Who is this guy, seriously, I think he has some sort of crazy man problem, he's not exactly a nice guy, a bit arrogant, he's like a new sam spade, except he's not attacking the bundled adware in the installer, but he's now attacking the forum staff, its quite scary, why hasn't he posted since Feb. 2003, he's just some crazy man I think, dude, come on, you need to get your facts straight before you go flailing around these forums :-/.
01-04-2005 08:48 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
These are the only posts the forum kept of him. Evertyhing else is pruned.

See this post. It seems this guy has something against the staff from a long time.

Now he seems to come back to stirr things up. That reads as attention seeking, IMO.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-04-2005 09:44 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: scrub this
quote:
quote:
All posts violating forumrules will be cleaned, moved or pruned
Shows that we got very active members and staff

I guess you think i'm stupid or lazy? Why else are you stating the obvious? Do the forum rules forbid the posting of material that is critical to the mods/admins/developers?

Where did you see me say that? From what i got from your first post you think only posts critizising mods/admins/developers will be modded, this however is not the case. No matter at who a post is directed if it contains exessive flaming (not sayin that that was inthere, but there must have been something) it will get modded.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-04-2005 10:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tgnb

O.P. RE: scrub this
quote:
Oh my god, you think that a forum full of spam and stuff is tidy, thats messed up

Umm no, i never said that and certainly dont think so. Did you look at that forum I mentioned? Its not spam filled at all.

quote:
you're just trying to find some lame argument...

On the internet the word for this is Troll. And if you think thats what i'm doing you are welcome to ignore my posts as that is the best known method for getting rid of trolls.

quote:
What do they do instead of deleting? Deleting posts is really the easiest way to clean up a thread.

They lock threads and if necessary censor posts if they contain illegal stuff. Locked threads sink to the bottom very fast in an active thread and I guess their idea of "clean" is different from yours. I'm not a spammer. I made a critical post which someone obviously didn't like and deleted. I would even go as far as to say it would be ok to delete spammer's posts. But not posts from people with dissenting views. But then again its your forum and you can run it as you wish.

quote:
* WDZ slaps stereotypes around a bit with a large trout.

You know, the one thing about stereotypes is that although i agree that stereotyping is bad, for the most part they are generally true. The reason stereotyping is bad is because they aren't true for everyone. In this case I think the stereotype used fits the behaviour and attitude of Patchou in regards to the adware 100%.

quote:
Let me remind you that none of the staff members here get paid to run the forum. We're all volunteers. Also, the rules of this forum and the moderation methods were not changed when Patchou started bundling the optional sponsor program.

Yes thats probably true. But in my opinion the behaviour of deleting dissenting posts falls exactly in line with the attitude Patchou has about the adware he is bundling. What i'm saying is that I'm not surprised that somone who runs a forum where deleting dissenting posts is an accepted practice would end up bundling their free software with adware. Or the other way around. It works both ways.

quote:
Just out of question what did that post say?

Lets see if reposting what i stated in my censored posts gets deleted again. Basically what I said was that I was happy to see that the anti-spyware software from Giang/Microsoft treated Messenger Plus the way it did because of the adware that was bundled. I'm happy that the makers of that software basically feel the same way I do about Messenger Plus as is apparent in their description visible in the screenshot. I'm happy that someone with more authority on the subject than myself has echoed my feelings. Mainly in the hope that somone can knock some sense into Patchou, something none of the people who complained about the adware in the past have been able to do. From Patchou's responses it doesn't seem like thats going to happen. He seems a bit stubborn and unable to truly listen to people's points. I find that sad really as he otherwise writes good software :(.

quote:
he's now attacking the forum staff

I'm not attacking the forum staff. Disagreeing is not the same as attacking.

quote:
why hasn't he posted since Feb. 2003

Because thats when I stopped using the software because of my disagreement with the attitude Patchou has in regards to the adware. I came back and posted mainly because i was happy to see that Microsoft/Giant anti-spyware software categorized Plus in the exact same way I felt about the software. Maybe I was gloating a little in a "I told you so" way. Thats probably why Patchou didnt like it and deleted it.
01-04-2005 10:25 PM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
I have to say, I too am glad that microsoft's anti-spyware software detects msgplus, But without looking at it, it seems as if it would do it regardless of if the sponsor program is installed or not. Thats where it is just wreckless, By that same token I could create a anti-spyware software that reports windows as a peice of spyware for having the activation required. It's just wreckless that microsoft would make such a generalization about msgplus and the optional adware bundle.

The adware bundle provides Patchou with the income and resources to continue developing this fine peice of software, He's not greedy with what it brings in and he doesnt make any efforts to force people to use the associated ad-ware. Patchou has gone as far as to include multiple warnings in the installer and tried to make it as clear as possible to the end user that it is there, Why is this a bad thing? To keep developing a peice of software of this magnitude, it takes money. Money that C2Media provides to pay for servers, bandwidth, and to help patchou continue developing. Why cant people understand that? How about microsoft starts bundling the same adware with microsoft office? Help pay for the costs of piracy? Would that knock some sense into you?

Sorry for the rambling, I'm at work and go back and fourth between support requests and this forum so it gets a little fragmented.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
01-04-2005 10:38 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: