What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iTunes Problem

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
iTunes Problem
Author: Message:
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. iTunes Problem
Ok well i will try and explain this best i can.
All my cds that i have used to obtain songs to put on my ipod i decided to rip them to mp3 first and place them all in a folder called "Ripped Mp3's" (imaginative i know) and inside that folder is many subfolders of bands and inside those folders is albums.
My problem is in the last few days i have got a fair few cds and placed them each in a folder as per where they belong.
My question is that when adding these new songs to iTunes and using the add folder to library function i can do it fine. however is there an easier way to add my songs instead of remembering every album i got with chance of missing some. for example can i just Add the whole folder "Ripped Mp3's".
I am pretty sure when it does this it adds every single song again as i tried to do a little simple test with a few songs. And as a result of this i end up with like a thousand duplicate songs.
I then came across the Show duplicate files function and thought oh there we go this should be easy however it shows both songs that are duplicated therefore double the library. how can i get rid of these duplicate songs without having to click on every 2nd song all the way down and removing it. and also when i right click and clear will it remove the song completely as last time when i used to have a proper My Music/Itunes setup i lost alot of songs when i decided to "Clear".

Anyway sorry for the blabbering on but i hope i made at least enough sense that someone can understand and help me out as that would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Daniel

This post was edited on 01-12-2005 at 02:45 PM by Dan0208.
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
01-12-2005 02:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: iTunes Problem
If I understood correctly, all your music is in the "Ripped Mp3's" folder.  In such a case, is there a reason why you can't empty/backup your library and just import the whole folder over?
01-12-2005 04:21 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
I have iTunes too, and i do the same thing, I put my mp3's in a folder and use Add Folder to Library, then it only adds the new ones...
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-12-2005 06:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The Add folder to library function is designed to only add files that are not currently in your library. So you can selected the Ripped MP3s folder and add that folder to the iTunes music library. The other way is with the library highlighted in the source list you can drag your Ripped MP3s folder onto the library where the songs are listed and that will add in the files currently not in your library.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.
01-12-2005 07:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
H_G_R

Are You Drunk????

31 / Male / –
I have iTunes i just do it all seperatly
[Image: enterpw9dl.gif]
01-12-2005 07:33 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
I'm too lazy to add about 18 or more mp3's to my library each time :-P seperately... That's why they made the function ;-)
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-12-2005 10:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: iTunes Problem
Hi again, just another iTunes/Ipod Question.
On my laptop, which i am currently on, I have iTunes etc setup for my 4G 20GB ipod. However when i plug in the usb cable a xp message bubble pops up saying something along the lines of "You have inserted a high speed usb into a non high speed usb hub". I figured this is unavoidable and am assuming it is because the pc is a bit old. the only problem with those is that it will take well over 1hr at the least to transfer songs.
My question is i was considering installing itunes on another computer we have in hope that it can handle "high speed usb" and just wondering if it would all work fine considering the new library will be empty and the ipod i plug in will already have songs. can i just re add songs and it will work itself out with the ipod? I suppose this will sorta help with my previous question as well as i will be re adding every song to a fresh library.
Oh and also i spent alot of time fixing song titles, artists, genres etc so that i did not have things like Artists> A New Found Glory
                                                         > New Found Glory
does this change the actual mp3 files for good or will i have to go through it all again?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions all over the place i tried to explain as well and as detailed as i could to avoid confusion. If anyone has any questions about it please ask. Thanks
01-13-2005 08:41 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The reason you recieve "High speed USB Device pluged into a non high speed USB Port" is because the port you are using is USB 1.1. The iPod Recommened requirements are to have USB 2.0. Now this doesn't mean that it will not work, but it means that transfering data from PC to the iPod will be slower. (USB 1.1: 12mb/s USB 2.0 480mb/s Firewire 400mb/s)

In order to make sure that your other PC has USB 2.0 then do the following:
Click Start > Run > msinfo32 then click ok
   --> Click + beside Components
   --> Click USB

You should see 1 of 2 things
   --> USB 2.0 Root Hub
   --> Standard PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Take a look at the screenshot so you can see what it will look like
[Image: attachment.php?pid=361816]

In your folder where you have your iTunes Music folder stored (Default C:\Documents and Settings\%user name%\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\) you will have a file called iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes 4 Music Library.itl. If you copy these files to the same location on the other PC you "should" have all of the track information loaded back in. You can take a look at an ID3 Tag viewer before transfering the files over to your other PC to make sure that iTunes has written the tag information to the mp3s.

If you do connect your iPod to your new PC iTunes will open up and say "This library is already synched with another iTunes Music Library. Would you like replace the current library with those from this iTunes Music Library?"

Yes or No

If you say yes your iPod will be replaced with your blank library. If you say no then you can set your iPod to a Manual update (Right click iPod in the Source List > iPod Options > Manually manage songs and playlists > Yes > Ok)

I am thinking whether or not to develop a small application used to backup music from the iPod onto the PC but I am unsure about this simply because of the RIAA and the copyrights on the songs. If I do do this then all music will actually be deleted from the iPod after it is backed up.

If you are worried about loosing your music when you connect your iPod then do this.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode

1. Plug the iPod Power Adapter into an electrical outlet and connect iPod to the power adapter.
     2. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
     3. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, then release them. This resets iPod. When you reset iPod all your music and data files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost.
     4. When the Apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the Play/Pause and Select buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears, saying Ok to Diskconnect with a Check Mark.
     5. Disconnect iPod from the power adapter and connect it to your computer.

In My Computer double click on your iPod that is listed (Will say either Removable Disk or the name of your iPod)

You can copy your iTunes Music folder onto your iPod. Then use this article from apple to manually unmount the iPod. Disconnect it from your computer and connect to the other PC and take the iTunes Music folder from the iPod and place it in your My Music\iTunes folder.

Matty

.gif File Attachment: msinfo32.gif (17.8 KB)
This file has been downloaded 507 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-14-2005 at 02:41 AM by matty.
01-14-2005 02:36 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: iTunes Problem
Wow thanks very much for all that matty you have gone to a lot of effort for this response and i see you are very knowledgeable on the whole iPod scene.

Ill give that all a go today and get back to you if i have any troubles.
One last thing, the iTunes xml file, i know it stores all track information but does it store location as well because i think that could pose a problem as my laptop is getting the songs over the network over a share with the other computer so the drive on this laptop is y: however if i copy the xml file over to the other pc which in fact contains the songs then if it stores the location then it wont match up.
Anyway thanks very very much for your detailed answer it was well above my expectations.
01-14-2005 03:52 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dan0208
One last thing, the iTunes xml file, i know it stores all track information but does it store location as well because i think that could pose a problem as my laptop is getting the songs over the network over a share with the other computer so the drive on this laptop is y: however if i copy the xml file over to the other pc which in fact contains the songs then if it stores the location then it wont match up.

All you would have to do is use the File > Add Folder to library function and it will correct the file paths
01-14-2005 04:00 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: