What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)
Author: Message:
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
RE: MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)
well firefox is a small threat. in the terms of the number of home users that may change to firefox because it is easy to do. on a network it is much more difficult so a network administrator probaly wouldnt bother. and its them that firefox needs to impress. in the big scheme of things home users arent going to be able to do anything to help increase firefox usage on a big scale (as much as you might think you can).
for networks to change over firefox will have to become a lot better at being able to display all web pages. it doesnt matter if thats the browser or the sites fault. and ie would have to have some kind of big problem that would force people to change but i dont see that happening any tmie soon.
in summary, firefox does pose a threat in the home use area btu not generally.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
01-13-2005 05:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I actually think Microsoft wants firefox/opera/other browsers to over take it.

Now web browsers have just become a part of daily computing life, and most people expect browsers to be free (Legal copies of opera will be for the true elite, like me :D) there is not much money to be made from creating a killer web browser, Windows Media gets money from licensing content and MSN Music etc..., but there is not much scope for making money in a web browser.

So, the more people that use alternate browser, the less attention IE and its flaws get, that means Microsoft can shift coders from working on IE, to working on other projects that can pull in more money, sure they can release the occasional update to keep the IE users happy, but apart from that they can stop major work on IE.

Just an opinion
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-13-2005 09:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
Sorry if this is really old :P. Do you think IE is under threat from FFox?

It is getting used more and more. And I'm more satisfied with Firefox than with IE..
quote:
quote:
[i]Originally posted by blade[i]
It's only a matter of time before Mozilla makes an operating system that's faster, more stable, has more features than Windows and is open sourced

Linus torvald alredy has :refuck:

He just made a free kernel. But GNU/Linux is very nice :-) I recently installed Gentoo, and that's one hell of a distro! Go portage!

quote:
I don't care what's the reason, it loads up faster. :tongue: I know Microsoft is dodgy, but they already rule the OS/browser world, they have forced their ways on the world.
You know, following this logic, Firefox users actually waste their resources since they have both Firefox and IE loaded. :P

Only if they run Windows..

quote:
I think a browser war thread is immature I mean they all do the same job (load internet pages). It was ment to be a question not to be made into an argument.

Yes, but some render internet pages better; it's just as normal as arguing about "Which car/tv/etc is better?" Especially since some people here use there browser multiple hours a day.

quote:
well firefox is a small threat. in the terms of the number of home users that may change to firefox because it is easy to do. on a network it is much more difficult so a network administrator probaly wouldnt bother. and its them that firefox needs to impress. in the big scheme of things home users arent going to be able to do anything to help increase firefox usage on a big scale (as much as you might think you can).
for networks to change over firefox will have to become a lot better at being able to display all web pages. it doesnt matter if thats the browser or the sites fault. and ie would have to have some kind of big problem that would force people to change but i dont see that happening any tmie soon.
in summary, firefox does pose a threat in the home use area btu not generally.

Is it really that hard to install on a network? (I have no idea). On what basis do you think so? Maybe this will help: http://gaugusch.at/firefox.shtml

And ehm, it's actually the home users who make the differences. Because they'll complain if they want application X which they also use at home.

quote:

Now web browsers have just become a part of daily computing life, and most people expect browsers to be free (Legal copies of opera will be for the true elite, like me ) there is not much money to be made from creating a killer web browser, Windows Media gets money from licensing content and MSN Music etc..., but there is not much scope for making money in a web browser.

So, the more people that use alternate browser, the less attention IE and its flaws get, that means Microsoft can shift coders from working on IE, to working on other projects that can pull in more money, sure they can release the occasional update to keep the IE users happy, but apart from that they can stop major work on IE.

Just an opinion

Interesting theory...

Click my signature :) And... Browse Happy!

This post was edited on 01-14-2005 at 08:02 PM by user2319.
01-14-2005 08:02 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)
quote:

Why would they everyone takes Windows as THE OS not a OS. People expect Windows to be the best therefore they expect the software included in Windows to be the best.

IE was the milestone for web browsers and it still should be although Firefox has kinda took over. IE is one of the reasons Micrsoft is so popular. When they make a IE 7 it might be just the best web browser yet.
AC3
01-14-2005 08:13 PM
heatus

RE: RE: MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)
quote:
IE was the milestone for web browsers and it still should be although Firefox has kinda took over. IE is one of the reasons Micrsoft is so popular. When they make a IE 7 it might be just the best web browser yet.

Internet Explorer is not one of the reasons Microsoft is so popular. IE is bundled with Windows and Microsoft is famous because of Windows.  Most Windows users wouldn't know there was such a thing as a different browser to IE. Microsoft don't need to update Internet Explorer they know that people are still going to use it, its a free product and Microsoft are interested in making money.
01-15-2005 03:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by heatus
Sometimes I will write some stuff in CSS and in firefox it will work fine but then I will view the site in IE and it will do nothing or do something completely unexpected. Then I will have to spend ages using google to search for a work around so it looks right in IE. It requires so much more work to just make IE do something which would otherwise be simple.

Just stumbled upon that and its true! My old website only worked in FireFox , IE just brang up an error. And even now my menu works perfect in FireFox but doesn't show in IE and I have to find out why.
01-15-2005 04:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

quote:
quote:

Why would they everyone takes Windows as THE OS not a OS. People expect Windows to be the best therefore they expect the software included in Windows to be the best.

They don't expect these things. They don't now there's something else than Windows. Windows was included with their Dell. They don't know what an OS is.
quote:

I agree with heatus

quote:
Originally posted by heatus
Internet Explorer is not one of the reasons Microsoft is so popular. IE is bundled with Windows and Microsoft is famous because of Windows.  Most Windows users wouldn't know there was such a thing as a different browser to IE. Microsoft don't need to update Internet Explorer they know that people are still going to use it, its a free product and Microsoft are interested in making money.

Yeah, MS should do something about IE's rendering engine. It'd be really nice if it'd support <object> according to the W3C standards. That would mean that you could have text with markup as alt-text, and have multiple imagesmedia (if one doesn't work, your browser'll try the next one).

And of course MS is threatened. If people go IE -> Firefox, they might also go Office -> OOo, and Outlook -> Thunderbird. And since these are all cross-platform.......

NoName, what's your website then?

quote:
NoName's Contact Details
Web Site:     None

This post was edited on 01-15-2005 at 01:15 PM by user2319.
01-15-2005 01:11 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: MS say firefox is not a threat to IE (old news)
I think Mircosoft is getting too lazy though. They have dominated the pc software market for a while now and they think they will continue to. But they won't if they just leave the state of their software how it is now! They need to update their top products instead of making new stupid ones.
AC3
01-15-2005 01:17 PM
heatus

quote:
I think Mircosoft is getting too lazy though. They have dominated the pc software market for a while now and they think they will continue to. But they won't if they just leave the state of their software how it is now! They need to update their top products instead of making new stupid ones.

I don't know, there are no *real* competitors to Microsoft. There is no other OS that has the software support as Windows does. Linux is no competitor to Windows as much as I hate to say it, it was never meant to be I don't think. I find myself always coming back to windows because I like to play games and use other software which is only available on Windows. Microsoft know this and they know they can take their time updating their products because there is no strong competitor in sight. But other than IE, Microsoft has kept most of their software up to date. Windows media player has had a recent update, a new version of MSN is in beta stages, and there is probably a whole bunch of other stuff that they have done which I'm not going to go in to.
01-15-2005 03:04 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
a lot of people i talk to like the fact the firefox doesnt have as many security threats because it isnt the main explorer but anyone hu has a lil pc knowledge can see why people are using firefox, opera or a diferent web browser. its not about how up to date IE is tho i dont think . its just the fact that it has most security threats

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
01-15-2005 03:26 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: