What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger starts twice

MSN Messenger starts twice
Author: Message:
renio

O.P. Huh?  MSN Messenger starts twice
Hello all

Since a while, when I log on my Windows XP Pro machine, MSN Messenger is started twice.
The first MSN Messenger that is started automatically signs in and then MSN Messenger is started once again. The second one also signs in and by this the first one is signed off and shows the toast message 'you have been signed in at another location blablabla...'

Using MSConfig.exe (see attachment) I can check which programs are started automatically by Windows after logging in. I see 3 references to MSN Messenger and MsgPlus! ... which one is bugging me..?!

I have tried removing one but then MsgPlus! is not active or MSN Messenger isn't started at all |-)

.jpg File Attachment: msconfig.JPG (60.17 KB)
This file has been downloaded 156 time(s).
01-18-2005 08:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger starts twice
Ok first off let me clarify something for you.

msmsgs: Windows Messenger (preinstalled with all versions of Windows XP)
msnmsgr: MSN Messenger
MsgPlus,exe: Obviously Messenger Plus!
msnshell: Crappy addon for MSN Messenger (imho)

Now the two Messenger Plus!s are normal. The one with /WinStart is forcing MSN Messenger to open after Plus! has loaded successfully.

If you open Windows Messenger you can click on Tools > Options > Preferences > Uncheck Run this program when Windows starts. and also if you don't plan to use it uncheck Allow this program to run in the background and it shouldn't sign you in twice.

As for msnshell, I personally think it should be uninstalled as it MAY be the cause for having to use Windows Messenger, and I say MAY because I haven't installed it or used it much so.

This post was edited on 01-18-2005 at 08:56 AM by matty.
01-18-2005 08:56 AM
renio

O.P. RE: MSN Messenger starts twice
Thanks for the tips Matty.

I've configured Windows Messenger like you mentioned, but that didn't solve the 'problem'. Still I'll leave it like you advise.

Secondly I disabled the 'run associate' option in the MSN Shell add-on software and that solved the problem. MSN Shell doesn't start up anymore now... but since I only liked it because of the auto-hide to edge function, I'll uninstall it anyway.

PS: I still hope a similar 'auto hide messenger main window to edge' feature will be included in MsgPlus!

Thanks for the help!
01-18-2005 10:38 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger starts twice
To disable Windows Messenger properly, and fix this problem, see CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger :)
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-18-2005 12:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: