What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » need help desperately!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
need help desperately!
Author: Message:
blaxez

O.P. Huh?  need help desperately!
i have a problem here, I am using msn messenger 7.0.045 and the msn 9 premium. Every time I click the check email button in msn messenger, the msn 9 browser automatically pops out and use up much of my system resources. Anyone here knows how to solve my problem so that I can continue checking email using IE?

note: I need to use msn 9 premium software as my family members need that.

Thanx a lot anyway..
[Image: email.php?mail_e=0YK4ete7&iv=eyOWMGA%3D&...w%3D&ext=0]
01-19-2005 06:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: need help desperately!
I think Stuffplug allows you to select what you'd like to open your mail with,  have a look at www.stuffplug.com
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
01-19-2005 11:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blaxez

O.P. RE: need help desperately!
I have tried be4, it still launches the msn browser...
01-19-2005 02:27 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Taken from hotmail site:
If you purchase a subscription service such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium, you get access to your account from Outlook or Outlook Express, along with many other added features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you could set Plus! up to check it as pop3 e-mail (plus > preferences > POP3 e-mail). After you've set that up try if filling in the addy of your e-mailinbox (on the web) after "E-mail client or link:" helps.

Edit: i can't test it myself but would appreciate it if you let us know if that worked.

This post was edited on 01-19-2005 at 03:51 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-19-2005 03:40 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Taken from hotmail site:
If you purchase a subscription service such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium, you get access to your account from Outlook or Outlook Express, along with many other added features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you could set Plus! up to check it as pop3 e-mail (plus > preferences > POP3 e-mail). After you've set that up try if filling in the addy of your e-mailinbox (on the web) after "E-mail client or link:" helps.

Edit: i can't test it myself but would appreciate it if you let us know if that worked.

For all of my hotmail accounts I haven't purchased a thing and they all work in Outlook Express. So I am not sure what the difference is... I know the 3 are not POP3 accounts but meh whatever.
01-19-2005 05:56 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
For all of my hotmail accounts I haven't purchased a thing and they all work in Outlook Express. So I am not sure what the difference is... I know the 3 are not POP3 accounts but meh whatever.
From hotmail help:
Cannot access my free Hotmail account from Outlook or Outlook Express:
This topic is not available for MSN HotmailSympatico Mail.
To protect our users from the increasing amount of unsolicited junk e-mail or spam sent from MSN HotmailSympatico Mail accounts through Outlook and Outlook Express, we have reluctantly had to restrict the new use of Outlook and Outlook Express to subscribers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You prolly have signed up before they decided to stop supporting it for free hotmail accounts...

Found on another site/forum:
Hotmail accounts created before that date (nov 2004?) can still use Outlook or Outlook Express to access Hotmail until sometime in either March or April of this year (2005). Unless you pay for the service.

Anyways the prob is blaxez wants to go around the standard browser that comes with MSN Premium to open hotmail, maybe setting it up as pop3 in plus! works. I don't know if clicking it will open up IE (if set to open it on the net). If not maybe some extra command in the programfield is needed to make it do so.

This post was edited on 01-19-2005 at 06:48 PM by Sunshine.
01-19-2005 06:25 PM
blaxez

but is there any method like editing the registry or patch msn messenger? 
01-20-2005 06:43 AM
tralala

– / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by blaxez
i have a problem here, I am using msn messenger 7.0.045 and the msn 9 premium. Every time I click the check email button in msn messenger, the msn 9 browser automatically pops out and use up much of my system resources. Anyone here knows how to solve my problem so that I can continue checking email using IE?

note: I need to use msn 9 premium software as my family members need that.

If you set IE to be your default browser, then messenger uses it to open your email. I think you can select it in the preferences (or something) of IE. And of course you can still use msn9p, only it is not the default browser anymore. (hope this also works with msn9p, cause i did this for netscape ;))
01-20-2005 01:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blaxez
but is there any method like editing the registry or patch msn messenger?
Nope, the problem is that the MSN browser is your default browser as tralala stated in her post. MSN tends to use IE when you click links..that's one of the reasons why i thought of setting it up as POP3 mail (maybe with a reference to start up IE in programfield).

This post was edited on 01-20-2005 at 01:35 PM by Sunshine.
01-20-2005 01:18 PM
blaxez

but if I set it to pop 3, it'll launch the default mail client, not the IE..
01-21-2005 01:19 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: