What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MSN EMOTICONS :S

MSN EMOTICONS :S
Author: Message:
XPrincessX

O.P. Huh?  MSN EMOTICONS :S
hey guys...

erm..can anyone help me with this problem i have with my msn. Some of my contacts have emoticons in their msn name but i cant see them. i see them as

: S not :S or : @ not :@

please help!? thnx

xxx Princess xxx
01-13-2005 06:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: MSN EMOTICONS :S
do u have custom names enabled?
01-13-2005 06:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
That's most likely due to using customnames (plus > preferences > contactlist > customnames -tab- ). It's a limitation of customnames. If you check only the first box, you should be able to see the emoticons in the conversationwindow.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-13-2005 07:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
net-cruizer

TCP Junkie

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
That's most likely due to using customnames (plus > preferences > contactlist > customnames -tab- ). It's a limitation of customnames. If you check only the first box, you should be able to see the emoticons in the conversationwindow.
I don't think it's a "limitation", as the whole idea of Custom Names, is to have what you want showing as a name, and not what your contact has typed for a name. As in to get rid of all the crap that contacts show in the name area.
Peronally, I wish MS made it so people can't add emoticons and a whole life story, etc. etc. where a nickname is supposed to be. Can be very annoying sometimes, but thankfully Plus! can remove the crap.
01-13-2005 07:49 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by net-cruizer
I don't think it's a "limitation", as the whole idea of Custom Names, is to have what you want showing as a name, and not what your contact has typed for a name. As in to get rid of all the crap that contacts show in the name area.
Peronally, I wish MS made it so people can't add emoticons and a whole life story, etc. etc. where a nickname is supposed to be. Can be very annoying sometimes, but thankfully Plus! can remove the crap.
It is a limitation because even if you use <custom nick> - (!N) { (!N) shows what the contact put as his/her nick} it still won't show the emoticons they've put in.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-13-2005 07:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is a limitation because the custom names are possible because Messenger Plus! tricks MSN Messenger into thinking that it shows emailadresses. And since MSN Messenger shows emailadresses, you can't have emoticons in that.

The "emailaddress-trick" is needed because that is the only way that Messenger Plus! has something solid to know which contact is which (a contact's emailadress is unique and doesn't change).

And because MSN Messenger actually shows email adresses, the contactlist is also sorted on emailaddresses and not on the custom names.

Maybe the showing of emoticons in custom names will be added at some point in the distant future when Patchou finds a way around it or another method to do it, but untill that time, it is a limitation because of the way it is programmed, not a bug.

This post was edited on 03-18-2005 at 01:04 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-13-2005 08:08 PM
XPrincessX

O.P. RE: MSN EMOTICONS :S
ye i have custom names  enabled AND i also only have the 1st box ticked :S . its wen i tlk 2 ppl tht i cnt c ther emoticons its jst lyk:

(# ) Duncan (# ) says:

not

(#) Duncan (#) says:

if u get what i mean :S

This post was edited on 01-23-2005 at 03:50 PM by XPrincessX.
01-23-2005 03:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
Yes, that is exactly what 'should' happen. Exactly that is the limitation and can't be fixed, sorry.
01-26-2005 03:46 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: