What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » windows media player 10 help

windows media player 10 help
Author: Message:
C3PO

Formally known as 'Wolfenstein'

33 / Male / –
O.P. windows media player 10 help
hey i have windows media player 10 installed and when i try to play a certain file it comes up with an error (ill post the error soon) I think i need a codec but im not sure which one, i already have a divx codec installed so it musent be that one- any help would be much apprecited i also have vlc player which i belive has a lot of codecs insallted but it to cant play it either.    error message below

C00D1199: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

The file type is not supported by the Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see Supported file types.
The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. For example, you might have tried to drag a DVD file with a .vob extension from a DVD to the Windows Media Player icon. Or you might have tried to open a .vob file by clicking Open on the File menu.
You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.
Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000

[Image: customsig30958km5eg.gif]
02-04-2005 10:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: windows media player 10 help
3.16  Why can't I play an MP3 file?

If you receive a message that contains error codes 0xC00D0BB8 or 0xC00D1199 when trying to play an .mp3 file, the problem might be because the file has a compressed or unsynchronized ID3 header that Windows Media Player does not support for security reasons.

For unsynchronized ID3 headers, see article 814129, "Error in Windows Media Player 9 Series When You Play Specific MP3 Files," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

For compressed headers or other ID3v2 data, you can use a tag editing program to remove the information. For example, you can use the Advanced WMA Workshop, available from the LitexMedia Web site. Or, you can use Winamp 2.x, available from the Winamp Web site. To use Winamp 2.x, do the following:

1. Open the file in Winamp.
   2. In the Playlist window, right-click the file, and then click File Info.
   3. Clear the ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag check boxes.
   4. Click Update.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/faq.aspx

What causes Error  0xc00d1199

You may find that you are getting this message from Windows Media Player:

0xC00D1199: Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because:

1) You are trying to play a file that is NOT supported by the player.

2) You are trying to play a file that the player DOES support , but the file was compressed by using a codec that is NOT supported by the Player.

3) You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.

4) The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. For example, you may have attempted to drag a DVD file with a .vob extension from a DVD to the Windows Media Player icon.

Error 0xc00d1199 Resolution Suggestion One:

# Please confirm that you are trying to play a supported file type...

For instance, Windows Media Player will NOT play unsupported file type: .rm .ram etc... These are playable using the RealOne Player.

Supported files types in Windows Media Player are:

Music CD Playback (CD audio) .cda

Audio Interchange File Format (AIFF) .aif, .aifc, and .aiff

Windows Media audio and video files .asf, .asx, .wax, .wm, .wma, .wmd, .wmp, .wmv, .wmx, .wpl, and .wvx

Windows audio and video files .avi and .wav

Windows Media Player skins .wmz

Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2, .mpa, .mpe, .mp2v*, and .mpv2

Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) .mid, .midi, and .rmi

Microsoft Recorded TV Show .dvr-ms

AU (UNIX) .au and .snd

MP3 .mp3 and .m3u

DVD video .vob

Macromedia Flash .swf

*To play .mp2v files, you must have a software or hardware
DVD decoder installed on your computer.

Error 0xc00d1199 Resolution Suggestion Two:

# If you are attempting to play an MPEG-2 file or a DVD please make sure you have a decoder installed.

To play .mp2v / mpeg-2 files, you must have a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer.

You also require a DVD drive on your computer.... a standard CD drive will not playback DVD's.

To get an appropriate DVD decoder for Windows Media Player you could try the "Power Pack" from InterVideo:

http://www.updatexp.com/MP3

Source: http://www.updatexp.com/0xc00d1199.html
02-04-2005 06:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
C3PO

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: windows media player 10 help
I downloaded the newest version of winamp version 5 i think and that didnt help and i did what u said, I dont know where to find winamp 2.x i cant find it anywhere to download.
02-05-2005 12:37 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: windows media player 10 help
Your missing a codec of some sort. It would help if you posted the extention of the file.

There is a nifty tool called GSpot Codec Information Appliance which allows you to specify a file and it will tell you which codecs are required to play it and whether or not you have them installed.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
02-05-2005 01:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
C3PO

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: windows media player 10 help
theres a few files i couldnt play all from one site and i run them through that program GSpot and it doesent tell me anything :S
not a valid AVI file it says that and also when i try rendering it doesent work
Non-AVI File - Type Unknown.     And it says i have dozens and dozens of codecs installed in audio and video. ^o)
02-06-2005 01:52 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: