What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » [idea] conversation

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[idea] conversation
Author: Message:
spastje

37 / Male / –
O.P. [idea] conversation
[idea] to make a plugin.
That saves the conversation on your pc, something like pdf that you can't change the text. sow you can proof what you said.
02-09-2005 01:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: [idea] conversation
Sorry spastje, but even PDF files can be edited (if a file can be written it can be edited).

Here's an example of a program that allows you to do so: PDF Editor 2.3.

This post was edited on 02-09-2005 at 01:56 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-09-2005 01:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
spastje think of it in this way(at least thats my way of thinking)

If it's an external format (like .txt , .xml or .pdf) there are editors for it...so anybody can edit it...

Now what i think is...if patch created a new extension like .mpl(Messenger Plus Log) and made a simpler reader, noone could edit it, cause at he's making a new file tipe....there are no specific editors for it....got it?

Maybe i'm saying some stupid stupid things but those are my ideas...

This post was edited on 02-09-2005 at 03:25 PM by Jhrono.
02-09-2005 03:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I like the idea johny... but knowing some people, there would be a *.mpl editor made if such a feature was added, there will always be certain ways, unless of course Patchou uses every bit of knowledge he has to try and prevent such a thing...
02-09-2005 03:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rix

34 / Male / Flag
Another alternative would be a log upload to a SQL Database on the web. The system would be very complicated, but should be better than write into file.
Show Plus! your commitment - Support Plus!
:: Plus!'s Estonian community - http://foorum.msgpluslive.ee/ ::
02-09-2005 03:48 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
If you don't want your files to be edited, why not using the encryption option?
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-09-2005 06:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rix

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [idea] conversation
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If you don't want your files to be edited, why not using the encryption option?

I think spastje thought that he could approve contact, what he had said. For example, I wouldn't belive, cause I know that usual chatlog can be modified by my contact or smth.
Show Plus! your commitment - Support Plus!
:: Plus!'s Estonian community - http://foorum.msgpluslive.ee/ ::
02-09-2005 06:05 PM
Skit3000

– / Male / –
RE: RE: [idea] conversation
quote:
Originally posted by rix
Another alternative would be a log upload to a SQL Database on the web. The system would be very complicated, but should be better than write into file.

I have experience with this, but SQL commands to a database are not encrypted, so with a TCP/IP package stealer, people can see how the SQL commands are built up, make their own and create fake logs. But, you can create a HASH which will be send together with the log files to prevent people from creating false logs.

Patchou, I don't know if a DLL for MsgPlus can get access to what is said in a conversation window, but if so, I would like to share knowledge with you to create a small DLL which can do "external logging"... :) Or maybe you can create such an option into the new version of MsgPlus (but it will require a lot of bandwidth/disc space to save all these conversation logs).

This post was edited on 02-10-2005 at 08:30 AM by Skit3000.
02-10-2005 08:28 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Answering only to johny...
quote:
Originally posted by johny
Now what i think is...if patch created a new extension like .mpl(Messenger Plus Log) and made a simpler reader, noone could edit it, cause at he's making a new file tipe....there are no specific editors for it....got it?
The thing is that if it's saved as text and not encrypted, anyone can open the file with NotePad or WordPad. Just because the extension is different doesn't mean no program can open it.

However, if that MPL file was encoded so that ONLY the Messenger Plus! Log Viewer could decode it and show the text, then no one could open it with NotePad or WordPad to edit it, unless they find another way (but average users don't have the knowledge to edit hex values or whatever it would be required to accomplish this).

But that, of course, would take time. To make encode/decode functions, code an algorithm so that it is very hard to do a tool to decode and edit the file, etc.

This post was edited on 02-10-2005 at 08:53 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

02-10-2005 08:41 AM
Skit3000

– / Male / –
There doesn't have to be a encode/decode function, but only a function which creates a HASH of the log files, and which can be used by MsgPlus to see if the log files are changed or not (because if somebody would change the log files, the HASH will change as well)... :) I made a program for the game Call of Duty which allows you to keep statistics. It sends these statistics unencrypted to a server, but it also includes a (unknown to the public) HASH which rejects the statistics if they have changed by the user him/herself... :)
02-10-2005 08:44 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: