What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PS3 processor unvieled

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
PS3 processor unvieled
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: PS3 processor unvieled
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
quote:
Originally posted by blade
But the thing is, the consoles will last between 4 and 7 years before the next ones come out - why wouldn't they use a 64-bit chip? :S
What advantage does 64-bit provide to a game console? We're not going to see the PS3 with 16Gb of RAM are we? :P

A console doesn't need as much RAM as a PC does, but the processor would shorten load times to around 5 sec., and make game play VERY smooth. I'd pay the extra $ for it.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
02-11-2005 07:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
quote:
quote:
But the thing is, the consoles will last between 4 and 7 years before the next ones come out - why wouldn't they use a 64-bit chip? :S
What advantage does 64-bit provide to a game console? We're not going to see the PS3 with 16Gb of RAM are we? :P

A console doesn't need as much RAM as a PC does, but the processor would shorten load times to around 5 sec., and make game play VERY smooth. I'd pay the extra $ for it.
Why would it do this? 64-bit processors address more memory per clock cycle, but I wouldn't say this has such an enormous benefit for games at the current time. The gameplay would be plenty smooth as it is. The future implications for 64-bit don't really matter, because after all, once the console is released, its not upgradable.

64-bit is nice, but its not essentially to make a lightning fast console :P
02-11-2005 08:32 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:

Why would it do this? 64-bit processors address more memory per clock cycle, but I wouldn't say this has such an enormous benefit for games at the current time. The gameplay would be plenty smooth as it is. The future implications for 64-bit don't really matter, because after all, once the console is released, its not upgradable.

My Athlon 64 3500+ out performs a P4 at 3.8 Ghz. It loads MASSIVE games like Half-Life 2 and Far Cry in under 10 sec.

Could you imagine that in a console? :o
02-11-2005 08:36 PM
user35870
Disabled Account

quote:
It loads MASSIVE games like Half-Life 2 and Far Cry in under 10 sec.
:o that is fast
02-11-2005 08:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
quote:

My Athlon 64 3500+ out performs a P4 at 3.8 Ghz. It loads MASSIVE games like Half-Life 2 and Far Cry in under 10 sec.

Could you imagine that in a console? :o
Please tell me where I can get a 64-bit version of these games... :rolleyes:

Its not the fact that its a 64-bit processor, its just a faster processor in this instance, even though its running in 32-bit mode. :P
02-11-2005 10:36 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Far Cry is a 64-bit game.

And No, my 64-bit out-performs my friend's P4 3.8 Ghz.
02-11-2005 10:41 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
For 64-bit to truly take off, you'll need a 64-bit OS, and 64-bit drivers, both of which are currently in beta.

AMD and Intel have different architectures, both of which perform better in different areas. People who perform a lot of media creation would argue that your AMD is not the fastest :)

This PS3 chip will probably be quite fast of course, but Intel and AMD probably aren't that worried. They both have multi-core chips on the way as well that will be super quick. Of course when you think about the processors in the current PS2, which runs at about 300MHz and still produces some great games, its scary to think of what the next gen consoles will be capable of :P
02-11-2005 11:21 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: RE: PS3 processor unvieled
quote:
For 64-bit to truly take off, you'll need a 64-bit OS, and 64-bit drivers, both of which are currently in beta.

Just for Windows :P
02-12-2005 10:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
I'm pretty sure that the computer science of 32-bit/64-bit processing applies to all processors :mipdodgy:

I'm guessing that this new chip (if it really is as good as it looks) will be transferred to PC application after the PS3... at the moment the market for 64-bit processors just isn't big enough for it to become the new market dominator
02-12-2005 07:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
imagine that... in a corprate enviroment, with thousands of servers connected together, that would be a fast proccessor! and dont even go in to overclocking... ;)

but how would the proccessors be able to transfer data to another proccessor? Would it not be faster to wait to process the data on itself instead, concidering the speed of networked devices/workstations...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.