What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » msn 7 problem

msn 7 problem
Author: Message:
liam_nufc

– / Male / –
O.P. msn 7 problem
Hi peeps, getting no joy from elsewhere and youre my last port of help before I have to stick to msn 6 :(

msn 7 (Any version of the beta) is causing my CPU to hit 100% and freeze my system for 10-15 seconds at a time everytime someone;

Sends me a message. ( The window appears minimized at the bottom of the screen and is not able to be clicked at all or maximized until 5-10 seconds later when the alert pops up telling me the name of the message )

Everytime I click a contact to send someone a message. ( The window again freezes, then if I try to move it or anything, the window then goes to 'Not Responding' in the title bar, along with the MSN Contact list where I have just clicked to open the chat window from)

Now I know this is a beta and there are still bugs etc, but the most frustrating thing is that mess.be arent reporting it in their bug problems, and that none of my friends are getting this problem, not even anyone that Ive looked at on the Internet. :( Is anyone at all suffering this problem or is just me?

My computer is perfectly capable of running msn7, AthlonXP2000+. 512ddr, 80gb HDD so I cant work out the problem. Doesnt, and never happens on MSN 6 or 5.

Any help appreciated before I cry. :(

Liam

This post was edited on 02-14-2005 at 08:07 PM by liam_nufc.
02-14-2005 08:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rix

34 / Male / Flag
RE: msn 7 problem
I don't know much but you could try to increase your system virtual memory by going Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Take 'Settings' under Performance -> Advanced -> Change.

Also it's not too much asked if you clean your computer by ad-aware programs and defragment!
Show Plus! your commitment - Support Plus!
:: Plus!'s Estonian community - http://foorum.msgpluslive.ee/ ::
02-14-2005 09:36 PM
liam_nufc

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: msn 7 problem
Thanks for the reply, but after everything Ive messed on with tonight Ive came down to the actual problem to whats causing it.

On opening of a chat window, should your chat windows be too small to have the names of each icon next to them, ie; packs, winks etc the window has to get rid of the words and just place a small arrow next to the icons instead.

On some contacts its doing it straight away, on others its taking 5-10 seconds. That I dont know why, and that I cant figure out. And its typical that the lags are occuring on the people I talk to most!

Hope a beta tester has this problem and can submit a bug report...
02-15-2005 12:06 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by liam_nufc
Hope a beta tester has this problem and can submit a bug report...
I am an official MSN Messenger 7 betatester. I have experienced your problem a few times too, but couldn't find a cause for it and didn't report it because i didn't had it in such extreme ways as you.

Can you tell me these things...
  • Your OS (windows version)
  • Exact MSN Messenger version
  • Messenger Plus! version (i assume you have it installed, because you post on the Plus! boards?)
  • Any other Messenger add-on's, plugins or modifications you have installed

I will test some more on it to see if i can re-create it, and will report to Microsoft. Thanks.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-15-2005 01:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
liam_nufc

– / Male / –
Hi MenthiX, more than happy to help out but by the time you get to the end of this post you might be able to submit the exact error. ;).

Info;

Windows XP H.E. running SP2

Running MSN version 7.0.0604, but the same happens on every version of 7 that I install, whether it be the beta from the msn website or this one.

Definetly isnt Msg Plus related cos I purposely havent looked at installing it to see if I can fix the lag problem before hand incase it was Msg Plus related, but obviously isnt.

-----

After further investigation into this as its been frustrating the hell out of me I have finally worked out why its doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by me, err earlier in the thread
On some contacts its doing it straight away, on others its taking 5-10 seconds. That I dont know why, and that I cant figure out. And its typical that the lags are occuring on the people I talk to most!

There was one friends window whos loading time was taking an age compared to others which made me twig. This is the person who is online as much as me, and who Im constantly talking to day in day out.

The problem? Chat logs. Delete your MSN Message history logs, and untick the 'keep an automatic history of my chat logs.' and you'll find no problems at all.

Im 99.99999999% certain the size of the certain contacts chat log is the problem.

Microsoft could learn alot from one certain Msg Plus programmer me thinks. Keep logs simple and as straight forward as normal and thats one less problem.

Hey presto. Everything is working fine for me now.

Liam

This post was edited on 02-15-2005 at 02:09 PM by liam_nufc.
02-15-2005 02:03 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Sounds logical, people you talk the most to have the most problems, chat logs of those people are the biggest :). I wonder why MSN access the chatlog if you open a window, there is no need to read or writ to it at that point :s.

So having a small window width doesn't have anything to do with it afterall (the buttons thing)?

This post was edited on 02-15-2005 at 06:50 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-15-2005 06:49 PM
Smethead

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I wonder why MSN access the chatlog if you open a window, there is no need to read or writ to it at that point .
Yes there is. If you use the MSN chatlogs, the last messages of the previous conversation with a contact are shown in the conversation window with that contact when you re-open it. This only happens in MSN7
[Image: fenderhc4.png]
02-15-2005 07:34 PM
liam_nufc

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: msn 7 problem
quote:
So having a small window width doesn't have anything to do with it afterall (the buttons thing)?

Nope. The window was staying like that because it was in the process of looking through the chatlog, then when its finished with the chatlog it sorts out the buttons quickly and as normal.

quote:
Originally posted by Smethead
quote:
I wonder why MSN access the chatlog if you open a window, there is no need to read or writ to it at that point .
Yes there is. If you use the MSN chatlogs, the last messages of the previous conversation with a contact are shown in the conversation window with that contact when you re-open it. This only happens in MSN7

Correct. But even though I had unticked 'show my last conversation with contact' it was still taking ages to load.
02-15-2005 08:43 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I submitted the bug to Microsoft's beta place. I guess they should already know about it by now (sure you are not the only person on earth with big Message History's).

I wonder: how big are your MSN logs for the person on which you have the most problems and how fast is your PC (MHz/GHz and RAM) ?

I will post here if i hear anything about the report, i the meanwhile i would suggest do disable MSN's Message History and use Messenger Plus!'s Chat Logging feature :).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-16-2005 12:20 AM
liam_nufc

– / Male / –
Chat log quota had been maxed many a time using version 6 and no problems/lags occured, just the usual pop up asking me to save it and start a new one. No idea what actual size the chat logs were at the time whilst using 7, but slowing down had always been occuring as soon as the first ever beta came out of msn 7.

PC Spec here; (Aint got nowt to do with that like. ;))

1.67Ghz
512DDR
80Gb HDD, with 50% space left

Please post back any feedback from MS. Will be interesting to read. :)
02-16-2005 12:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: