What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [Idea]Reply Comment option in Reputation votes

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[Idea]Reply Comment option in Reputation votes
Author: Message:
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Idea]Reply Comment option in Reputation votes
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I feel that u have a nice idea but if someone votes 4 u and gives u a -ve then many ppl will reply it with a comment thing that u want.
The only person that could give a reply comment would be the person that the vote was origanally for. 
02-16-2005 07:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: [Idea]Reply Comment option in Reputation votes
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
The only person that could give a reply comment would be the person that the vote was origanally for. 
Oh u misunderstood me. Sorry i wasnt clear. I meant that for eg. I give u a -ve rep persay and its not 4 a valid reason then u put a comment. Ok.

But persay i gave u a -ve rep and u deserved it. Like what i said in that  rep report was true but u still dont like it then u could still post a comment there justifing ur self or saying i was lying or something.

I hope u see what i mean. If u dont then jjust say so and i'll answer it tomm.

I hope u see how i feel that the comment method can be abused. But i feel the report thing is better but even it may have flaws i guess :)

This post was edited on 02-16-2005 at 07:54 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
02-16-2005 07:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
But i feel the report thing is better but even it may have flaws i guess
People will abuse the report thing, yes, but if they do they are just more inclined to annoy a mod or admin. Usually stupid reputations stand out against the rest so people know if they are dumb. An example of this is Carltos Cool, he will often give negative and neutral reputations from stuff that is just made up in my reputation, http://shoutbox.menthix.net/reputation.php?uid=26866 as you can see by this it stands out as weird against the rest of the stuff so a member of staff would probably see this. So, imo, a report button for this would be extremely useful, and not so easy to abuse without having bad consequences of annoying staff members...

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 10:02 AM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-17-2005 09:58 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
I dont think it would be a great idea, i think it would just lead to arguements, i think if the admins/mods are up to it, having a report reputation button wouldnt be a bad idea.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

02-17-2005 11:36 AM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
what happens when you post a negative comment...

i got flamed when i did
02-17-2005 11:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata

what happens when you post a negative comment...

i got flamed when i did
It really will depend on if it is justified or not...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-17-2005 11:42 AM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
well it was justified.
he wrote me a pm, then i explained my point, he flamed and acted immature, had a go at me... then i ignored him, and he posted a bad rep in my reputation....

(have you guessed who it is yet - rolf harris)

im just saying, if you posted something negative. and the user over reacts... its for the whole community to see...

pm, as sunshine said, would be better
02-17-2005 11:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I always was pro-comments

mean reasons:
  • The eBay-comment system works perfectly and clear. The 3rd party (for whom the comments are afterall meant) can clearly see when a negative vote is not justified (this is _not_ always possible without it, even if the reciever had only 1 negative vote among 5 pos. ones)

• You can not see the view of both sides in the current system (thus without the comments) when one party decide not to retaliate with a negative vote back (which is a smart thing todo°).
    ° it is smart, however, the reciever looses in both ways with the current system: when he retaliates, he is accused of retaliation. If he don't, he has no public means of defending against a possible unjustified vote and bystanders may wonder about the validness of the vote.

• The main issues which are discussed in this and other threads will (almost) be solved: flaming, overreacting and complaining because of negative votes:
    • the reciever can comment on a not-justified vote. And even if the vote was justified and the reciever comment on that, it will be picked out because of the other negative votes...

• the reciever will not have to retaliate with a negative vote back, he can comment on the vote recieved. Often the case of negative voting, voting negative back, flame starting is because one of the two sides overreacted.

• PM's don't always help and don't always (often) justify or are fair as a comment to a negative vote. Again, many flames and grunges start when someone is voted negative upon and the reciever has no alternative to justify it other then making a thread about it or to vote negative back, then, shit hits the fan.... Problem: the vote is public, a PM is not. Many times the reciever wants to share his view of the negative vote in public <= this is VERY important...

• eg: I could've voted negative for some people, I simply don't because I know what the result will be if they take it wrongly again or overreact. Instead I can do nothing (btw, the opposite has happened also. Doing your everyday forum bussiness and all of a sudden you get a negative vote saying you're always rude and personaly picking on someone, just because the person seriously overreacted or can't read between the lines. I'm not going to vote negative back for that, although I could, and with a valid reason, because I know this will only put more oil on his/her fire. However, this is frustrating and a comment system would be perfect to deal with this: the negative vote stays (it is afterall a view of that person towards you), and you have a way of defending yourself in PUBLIC, WITHOUT casting negative votes back/flaming/etc...)

Rules for the comment system:
  • comments are public

• only reciever can make 1 comment to a vote (comment can be changed/deleted, just as normal votes)

• comment will be deleted if votes changes (yes, this implies that one could delete a vote and revote to clear a comment, but then again, nothing is perfect. But the benefits are far greater then this one minor point; if you realy want, leave comments when votes change or get deleted. But I dunno how that will look like in the end  tbh, messy I would think)

• No comments on comments on comments on .... allowed (start a flame-thread in T&T then and get banned both :p)

damn, I wasn't going to write much on this issue

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 11:24 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-17-2005 11:15 PM
dylan!

l33t p4int3r

– / Male / Flag
yeah...theres not really anything wronng with the system we use now its just the people that are unfair qwith their reps...so i think we should just leave it how it is:P
02-18-2005 12:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: