What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What's with the weird computer behavior?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
What's with the weird computer behavior?
Author: Message:
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
O.P. What's with the weird computer behavior?
Today, I switched on my computer to find that it was really slow at loading. It finally loaded. Then I started to use it and it was going slow. I noticed the other day, Powerpoint opened for no reason.

So, the best thing to do is to scan for viruses/spyware.

I first used Spybot S&D. Just a few tracking cookies and some recently opened file lists. Then I tried Ad-Aware SE. Nothing bad detected. Then I even tried Microsoft Antispy. Still nothing. I still had Norton left, but that takes a while, so did a few other simple things before.

I cleared my cache, backed up and my cookies and deleted them. Then ran disc clean-up to get rid of other files. Then I did disc-check and then defragmented. Still, the speed of XP was slow. Then I decided to use Norton AntiVirus 2004. (All these had up to date definitions loaded). I ran Norton, locked my computer and went away. Came back and to my horror, for some strange reason, there was the welcome to Windows screen, please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to login ... blah blah...

So, I decided to go back in and scan some common virus/spyware places like C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINDOWS\System32, and C:\Documents and Settings.

I then sat there with it, moving the mouse so the screen saver didn't come on etc., then, it did it again, I realized what had happened before, the computer had restarted for no reason...

It had managed to scan most of the files and those results showed no viruses/spyware...

I went to the Startup and Recovery options in the My Computer Properties and had unchecked Automatically restart ages ago.

I haven't done anything like any tweaking recently (I did ages ago and the computer has been fine up until now...), nor have I done any installations...

I do have a firewall as well, and haven't accepted any of those msn viruses which I have noticed that some of my contacts have, as it has been trying to send itself to me, but it wasn't detected so it doesn't seem that I have it.

So, the reason I have explained this is to get an answer to this thread title...

I am currently using Windows XP SP2.

It would be appreciated if someone could help me. :)

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 12:45 AM by jren207.
02-16-2005 11:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
RE: What's with the weird computer behavior?
You should stay at your computer. A message box will probably come up and say that you have X amount of time before your computer shuts off. Just type Start->Run->shutdown /a. Then PWN TEH VIRUS!!!!!11 \o/
[Image: 7.png]
02-16-2005 11:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: What's with the weird computer behavior?
lol :P

It's not that kind of restart, my computer just goes off, does the POST test beep then I see the boot logo and the WinXP boot screen, this is why I think this is reallly dodgy... :S
02-16-2005 11:34 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Maybe a brownout or whatever it's called, does your computer have enough power?

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 12:33 AM by Ezra.
[Image: 1-0.png]

02-17-2005 12:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Well, my computer has always had the same psu, always been connected to the same socket, nothing else in the house swtiched off either and my computer switched off only when performing a virus scan ... :mipdodgy: . Everything hardware-wise seems to be working and looks ok, i checked inside...

Well, the restarting seems to have layed off, but I haven't performed anymore virus scans. I have no idea why virus scanning could cause a weird restart but, hey!

The slowness is still there though :mipdodgy:
02-17-2005 12:43 AM
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
Does it also restart while doing anything else that uses a lot of cpu time?

02-17-2005 12:45 AM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Nope, well, this is the first time it has done this and I have had everything else that has been running today, running for a long time before all this happened. (Norton scans etc.)

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 12:50 AM by jren207.
02-17-2005 12:49 AM
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
I'm in the dark just as you are, hope someone else has a better way of solving this than using system repair or installing windows again.

02-17-2005 12:52 AM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Thanks for your help anyway, Ezra. :)

Re-installing windows isn't too much of a task..., but I wanted to find a solution to the problem rather than doing that. (One reason being, that this is the longest I have had XP installed until re-installing and wanted to keep it that way :P) but anyway,...

I'll wait for a few more posts of suggestions that some other people might have, then consider re-installing.
02-17-2005 12:57 AM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Well, the restarting seems to have layed off, but I haven't performed anymore virus scans. I have no idea why virus scanning could cause a weird restart but, hey!

try trendmicro housecall online scan... i had that happen to me before too.

... and anytime i ran anti-virus directly from my computer like (mcafee or norton) my comp kept on restarting or freezing up. when i did the online scan it found some infection, i'm sorry cuz i dunno what the hell the thing it found was called.. but either way, i ended up having to remove it manually and everything was aight after that... (although to be safe i reinstalled the system anyway... 8-) )

- if u find the virus (cuz i kinda think u have one.. at least i know i had one when those were my computer's symptoms) its a good idea to overwrite the hard drive prior to reinstallation...

Edit: my bad... i removed a part of it manually, re-run the anti-virus scan and it cleaned out the rest *-)

hope that helps, here's the link to trendmicro http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This post was edited on 02-17-2005 at 01:39 AM by Joa.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

02-17-2005 01:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: