What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Browser Highjacker

Browser Highjacker
Author: Message:
MrsBel

– / Female / –
O.P. Browser Highjacker
I d/l messenger plus 2 nights ago and after I installed it I had some search bar that I could not removed.  I ended up restoring my pc to get rid of it.  I have plus on another pc without having that problem.  I would like to put it on this pc, but now I'm afraid to install.  I have a friend who has the same search bar that seems to be associated with plus.  Have you heard of others with this problem?  Where can I get a d/l that will not install such a highjacker?

Thanks
02-19-2005 08:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
RE: Browser Highjacker
All you have to do is read as you are installing and click no to the sponsor agreement. All downloads have it as an optional thing. :)
02-19-2005 08:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Also, if you installed the optional sponsor, read how to uninstall it here: How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor :)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-19-2005 08:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MrsBel

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Browser Highjacker
Well, maybe I didn't understand something correctly, but there was no way to remove this.  As soon as I opened IE, this tool bar was stuck open on my screen and my spyware remover told me there was no way to remove it.  I also got some advice from a programmer friend of mine who also confirmed no way to remove.  Perhaps I just try again or stay away from plus.
02-19-2005 08:59 PM
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
If you tryed an spyware remover then reinstall plus (with the sponsor) then uninstall. Now install it again without the sponsor :)

This post was edited on 02-19-2005 at 09:03 PM by ayjay.
02-19-2005 09:01 PM
MrsBel

– / Female / –
I restored the PC.  So you are suggesting to reinstall and choose 0 for sponsors (which I think I tried but it forced me to pick 1) I should not have any problems? 
02-19-2005 09:07 PM
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
You need to install MsgPlus and click yes to the sponsor. Then uninstall. Then install again and click no to the sponsor. I doubt it would have forced you to install it.
02-19-2005 09:09 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Hi MrsBel,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!) can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.
A video version (made by traxor) of this can be downloaded here
If it is not gone by this stage and you have thoroughly done all of the above please use this application to uninstall it http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe...
When you wish to install without
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]
Refuse, it won't force you...:)

This post was edited on 02-19-2005 at 09:12 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-19-2005 09:09 PM
MrsBel

– / Female / –
Thanks a million.  I think I will give it a try.  The worst thing that could happen is I do another restore....I have plus on my laptop and didn't have any of this.  Not sure where I got the file or perhaps there were no sponsor issues at that time.
02-19-2005 09:20 PM
MrsBel

– / Female / –
I just wanted to say thanks again.  I did the reinstall as you instructed and it worked just fine. 

This is a great site and thanks for all that are here helping others.
02-20-2005 01:44 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: