What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Feedback Netscape Browser 8.0

Feedback Netscape Browser 8.0
Author: Message:
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
O.P. Feedback Netscape Browser 8.0
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Netscape_Browser/1101836316/1

(Y) or (N)
03-03-2005 06:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Feedback Netscape Browser 8.0
From the look of it, yes, it does look decent, unfortunately for them Firefox has quite quickly become the browser that people seem to use and have become used to. We all like it, and unless something far better comes along will stick by it. As the saying goes "that boat has already sailed" Netscape and IE, are to late. I think Netscape died about 5 years ago for most users, and that's how it will stay.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-03-2005 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
The_Thief

48 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Feedback Netscape Browser 8.0
I was never a big fan of netscape either.  I thought it was also slow loading and slow to respond with webpages.  Unless they drastically inproved it then mabye I will use them that's mabye
03-03-2005 06:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by serpico
I thought it was also slow loading and slow to respond with webpages.
fyi, it is as fast as Firefox...

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
From the look of it, yes, it does look decent, unfortunately for them Firefox has quite quickly become the browser that people seem to use and have become used to.
Although it is true that FireFox is used in many places, it is not true that "people seem to use and have become used to"; People who use Netscape will often not switch to Firefox for a very simple reason: people who use netscape use it because they know what Netscape is and how it was build and what it contains. Netscape is not open-source but is build by a company, it is based upon the same engine(s) as FireFox with one very big difference: A build of netscape will NOT be released unless all the bugs of the engine (which exist in Firefox) are fixed. In essence, Netscape is a bugfree FireFox. Also, the hard rumor/story about Netscape being bloated is false; you can choose what to install and you can (just as with firefox) clean/adjust/tweak many other things in the browser.

All in all, Netscape can not be compared with Firefox just like that. They are totaly different browsers (although based upon the same engine(s) and have equal functionality). Firefox is open-source, Netscape is not; this should say enough...

And thus:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
As the saying goes "that boat has already sailed" Netscape and IE, are to late. I think Netscape died about 5 years ago for most users, and that's how it will stay.
you are wrong in that. Netscape has never died, despide all the rumors. And where FireFox had/has many troubles and bugs, Netscape continues to be running smoothly, even today!!! (don't let me look up all the threads in this forum where bugs/strange things are reported with Firefox, while on the same time Netscape has exactly the same functionality but without those bugs/strange things)

The reason why it took so long for a new Netscape browser version is not only because the development "halted" a bit on the browser (not realy halted but the team working on it changed), but most importantly because it didn't needed to be updated... Also, note that the company Netscape was never dead and in fact has always been very well alive...

However, it is true that the market share of Netscape has dropped in favor of FireFox and Mozilla, simply because most people prefer common updates, the thought of open-source and the ability to skin their programs (although Netscape is easly skinned also)... even despite the fact that updates and open-source doesn't always mean good stable updates.

Note: I have yet to discover the first site/html code where Netscape screws up and FireFox doesn't. On the other hand, I came across many reports where FireFox screws up and after testing with Netscape it doesn't...

This post was edited on 03-03-2005 at 07:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-03-2005 07:02 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

It gives me an interesting user agent...

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050302 Firefox/0.9.6

:/

EDIT: Who feels like explaining why it's a clone of Firefox.. even the extensions bit points to you update.mozilla.org.. can they do that? I'm not understanding something here.

This post was edited on 03-03-2005 at 07:14 PM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
03-03-2005 07:09 PM
The_Thief

48 / Male / –
I think it was designed on the mozilla architechture that's why your getting that I think.
03-03-2005 07:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
It gives me an interesting user agent...

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050302 Firefox/0.9.6

:/

EDIT: Who feels like explaining why it's a clone of Firefox.. even the extensions bit points to you update.mozilla.org.. can they do that? I'm not understanding something here.
Yes "they" can.

It is based upon Firefox's engine (which is based upon the same Gecko engine). That's the whole point of Netscape, it uses the same updated engine(s) and after all the bugs are fixed they build a new browser. Hence Netscape is more stable then Firefox... (<= very very shortly explained)

To know exactly how the relationship is between the browsers Netscape, Mozilla, FireFox and engines like Gecko, you need to read up on the history of Netscape (the company). Note that Firefox, Mozilla, etc... were essentially created by Netscape in the first place!!!

another small sidenote: Netscape is the only browser (from the mozilla family) that is officialy supported by Microsoft! Nice example/benefit: all the default-browser troubles you might have with FireFox, but not with Netscape.

This post was edited on 03-03-2005 at 07:33 PM by CookieRevised.
03-03-2005 07:22 PM
The_Thief

48 / Male / –
That I remember just shocks me that it's supported by microsoft but whatever :)
03-03-2005 07:39 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Yes the new Netscape is based off the Firefox codebase. As Cookie says, Netscape actually founded the Mozilla Foundation, and donated the source code for Netscape 4 I believe.

I disagree that Netscape is a bug-free Firefox though. Its based on much the same code, and indeed shares many of the security bugs that Firefox 1.0 suffered from. Firefox has been tested by a huge userbase, and Mozilla offer a great bug listing service which helps the developers immensely. :)

Netscape is a great alternative to Internet Explorer though, and I really hope they provide some competition to IE's dominance (remember when Netscape had about 95% of the browser market?! ;) )
03-03-2005 08:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I disagree that Netscape is a bug-free Firefox though. Its based on much the same code, and indeed shares many of the security bugs that Firefox 1.0 suffered from. Firefox has been tested by a huge userbase, and Mozilla offer a great bug listing service which helps the developers immensely.
Netscape is more bug free then a FireFox of the same engine. There is nothing to agree upon, that's a fact...
03-04-2005 08:12 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: